Sunday, November 18, 2018

week eleven: the rivalry that never was ...

"How can we be lovers
If we can't be friends?
How can we start over
If the fighting never ends?

How can we make love
If we can't make amends?
How can we be lovers
If we can't be, can't be friends?

Look at us now --
Look at us baby.
Still trying to work it out --
Never get it right.

We must be fools --
We must be crazy!
Whoa, oh!  There's no communication!
Whoa, oh!  It's a no win situation!

How can we be lovers
If we can't be friends?
How can we start over
When the fighting never ends?

How can we make love
If we can't make amends?
How can we be lovers
If we can't be, can't be friends? ..."

-- "How Can We Be Lovers" by Michael Bolton.

--------------------

Last Week SU: 8-6-0.
Season to Date SU: 89-57-2.

Last Week ATS: 5-8-1.
Season to Date ATS: 69-71-8.

Last Week Upset / Week: yikes.
Season to Date Upset / Week: 2-8-0 SU / 4-5-1 ATS.
This Week Upset / Week: Jaguars (+5 1/2) over Steelers.

--------------------

The Non-Chiefs Picks.

* Packers (+2 1/2) 31, at Seahawks 24.  Mike McCarthy should have been fired the moment he opted to punt.

* Bengals (+4) 23, at Ravens 21.  Sneaky good matchup that might be an elimination game for all intents and purposes, especially if Baltimore loses.

* at Jaguars (+5 1/2) 24, Steelers 23.  The Jaguars are about to go on a 1995 Detroit Lions run to snag the six seed.  Or so says me.

* at Giants (+1) 3, Bucs 0.  "Empty Nest Game O' The Week" honors.

* Panthers (-4) 27, at Lions 20.  "ALF Game O' The Week" honors.

* at Colts (-2) 34, Titans 31 (OT).  On paper, this might be THE game, that decides the six seed in the AFC.  (The "Super" Chargers are all but a lock for the five.)  In the last two weeks, the Titans have blown out Dallas in Dallas, and blown out New England in Nashville.  If they win this game?  Well, I predicted way back when they'd be the one seed for a reason.  On the other hand, if Indy wins to get back to .500?  With that schedule left?  They might be the second team in four years to go from 1-5 to the playoffs (along with your 2015 Chiefs). 

This isn't quite "best game of the year" status worthy.  Sh*t, at best, it's the third biggest game of the week.  But this does deserve some designation to note how great this game is on paper.  So, let's go with "Lost Game O' The Week" honors.  Because I have no idea how we got here, there's possibly a polar bear involved, and a Colts / Titans matchup six weeks before the playoffs start deciding the six seed, somehow makes sense.

* Cowboys (+3) 31, at "Shane" Falcons 21.  This is a "loser retires" match the WWF used to stage so awesomely.

* at Redskins (+3) 24, Texans 17.  I ask this with all due sincerity: has any matchup of 6-3 divisional leaders ever attracted LESS attention, than this week's Texans / Skins match?  More to the point, if it's Houston at Kansas City in the Divisional Round, how terrified are you, Chiefs fans?  Because I'm scared sh*tless at that prospect.

* those people (+7) 27, at "Super" Chargers 17.  I despise those rare days I have to root for those people.  Sunday?  We all root for those people.  Because if this upset happens, the Chiefs are two clear of everyone entering Monday night, in the AFC.

* at "Super" Cardinals (-4) 16, raiders 6.  "Good Times Game O' The Week" honors ... if not o' the year.

* Eagles (+9) 34, at Saints 31 (OT).  The defending champs have their backs to the wall.  They'll find a way to somehow, some way, (rascal flatts voice) stand.  Jesus, this game is going to be great.  I love nothing more when it comes to sports (save for my side winning) than watching a proven veteran team with its' season on the line, fight with everything left in them, to save said season.

* at Bears (+3) 24, Vikings 20.  I texted my cousin Juli (she and her husband are Bears season ticket holders) about this one.  Her response: "I've waited a f*cking decade for this day!  We're gonna kick their asses!"  Nice to see everyone in my family not only knows how to employ a generous f-bomb when it's called for ... but knows professional football misery.

The "Klassy" Kevin Keitzman Tweet O' The Week.

He's being too quiet.  It's like the calm before the monsoon.  You know there's an explosion of insanity and/or indefensibility coming.  I'll just keep patiently waiting for it I guess.

The Tailgating Plans.

There are no The Tailgating Plans, as this is not a game I will be in attendance for.  And for once, I'm glad about that.  Mexico was the game my brother and I circled earlier this year for a road trip.  It never came through.  Thankfully.  Because I don't have $1,000 to eat at this point.  #carshopping

The Watching Party Plans.

There are The Watching Party Plans.  We will be at McFadden's down in Power and Light.  We have two tables reserved, and a $200 tab to spend through.  Barring something unforeseen, I plan to duck out at halftime, as (a) I have to work Tuesday morning, and (b) I have no desire to get shot sitting at the 59th or Gregory stoplights on 71 heading home.  (I kid, I kid.  I think.)

I plan to get there a little after 5, 5:15 to get started.  Feel free to join us.  We'll probably be in the lower bar area closest to the exit out into P&L, where we were for the Browns game.

The Flashback.

Here is the recap from the 2014 Chiefs / Rams game.

Here are my thoughts from the 2006 Chiefs / Rams game.  (Warning: NSFW.)

Sadly, I have nothing from 1997, 2000, 2002, or 2010, to post as a flashback recap.

But having noted that, the cool thing to realize in this "rivalry that never was"?

The Chiefs went 6-0 against the Rams in the regular season, when they resided across the state.

Six.  And.  Oh.

Considering I do numbers for a living, I can swear to you -- that's pretty damned good.

Disreputable Mexican Food Truck Update.

We're now in what, Week Five of the water and sewer line replacement on 84th Street ... and yeah, they ain't getting this bastardo done by Christmas, let alone Thanksgiving:


(The view towards Madison, where I live.  Image credit: me, via my iPhone 8 something.)


(The view towards Wornall is somehow worse.  Image credit: me, via my iPhone 8 something.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... hit it!

"Good Times!  Anytime you need a payment!
Good Times!  Anytime you need a friend!
Good Times!  Anytime you're out from under!
Not gettin' hassled!  Not gettin' hustled!

Keepin' yo head above water!
Makin' a wave when you can!

Temporary layoffs?  Good Times!
Easy credit ripoffs?  Good Times!
Scratchin' and survivin'?  Good Times!
Hangin' in a chow line?  Good Times!

Ain't we lucky we got 'em?
(Na Na Na Na Na!) Good TImes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And you're godd*mned right, that's former Kansas City Chief John Amos, starring as family patriarch James Evans.

The Chiefs Pontification and Prognostication.

For the second week in a row, the Chiefs will face on of the two smartest franchises in professional sports.  Especially in the NFL.

Because just like the "Super" Cardinals in 1988, the Rams had the sense two years ago to bid goodbye to our b*tch to the east, hope of crap rap like Chingy and JKWON, home to the worst beer ever brewed anywhere (Bud Light), home to the most arrogant, stuck up fans in all of professional sports (the baseball Cardinals).

Home to the city that gave us Dred Scott, which not only pushed the timeline of the impending Civil War up by four decades, it was a ruling so hideous that the President allegedly had to bribe a judge into changing his descent, to "present" a more unified ruling to the public.  (Chief Justice Taney ruled in 1857 that not only was freed black Dred Scott not free, but also not a citizen, not eligible to become a citizen, and that in fact he retained fewer rights as a person, than a dresser did as a piece of furniture ... because that is literally was Taney ruled Scott and every black person was: a piece of furniture.  Don't tell me we're a more racist society today, than 150 years ago, Democrats running on racial issues everywhere.  It's not even close.  Nobody views you as a plush pillow the dog sleeps on anymore.)

Yes, for the second week in a row, the Chiefs play a team that fled St. Louis to play elsewhere.

And somehow, as much as I love the "aw, St. Louis got screwed, isn't this sweet!" aspect of it ... damn, I hate the loss, of a potential hated rival.

--------------------

I've long advocated the NFL should expand the schedule by one game, to seventeen, and make that seventeenth game every season, a cross-conference rivalry game.  (Which currently occur every fourth year; in the year(s) that matchup would already occur, just schedule the game against a team not on the schedule.)

Think about it.  Giants / Jets every year.  49ers / raiders.  "Super" Chargers / Rams.  Cowboys / Texans.  Dolphins / Bucs or Jags / Bucs.  those people / "Super" Cardinals.  "Shane" Falcons / Titans or Panthers / Titans.  Redskins / Ravens.  Eagles / Steelers.  Bears / Colts.

Most of these matchups already occur in the preseason every year.  I've always felt they'd be much better as a regular season game.

And man, how fun could Rams / Chiefs be these next five, six, seven years folks, if they met every regular season ... instead of just twice (Monday night and sometime in 2022) guaranteed, in a game that counts within those seven years?

Because of the Rams move, our closest NFC rival would be who, Chicago?  Minnesota?  I mean, I'm going to Chicago next year when the Chiefs play there (the Vikings and Packers come here; we go to Chicago and Detroit), and it's a fun game ... but it isn't the same as beating a cross-state rival.  Minnesota?  Been there, done that a few times ... and again, there's just no spark there, no hatred there.

Anyways, there's my $0.02 on NFL scheduling.  Not that it's worth even that.

--------------------

Now for my other rant of the week, and that is Patrick Mahomes "Of The Chiefs" desire to get a Whataburger here in Kansas City.

If you have never had Whataburger?  Count your damned blessings.  I have never understood the love for that place.  And spare me the "well, you probably only ate it once, at a sh*tty location".  I ate it many times, across many locations, in my four years living in the Metroplex.  And every single burger I ever had there was awful.  (To be fair, the chicken sandwich is passable, and they do make great milkshakes.)

I don't often disagree with Sir Patrick ... but he's dead wrong on this one.

And if you doubt me?  Those of you reading this, probably knew me twenty years ago when I moved up here to KC.  I sold you on how great Jason's Deli was.  Was I right, or was I right?  I swore to you Shiner Bock original is the best beer you'll ever have.  Was I right, or was I at least in the ballpark of right?  I swore to you Waffle House was the best place for a 3am recovery after a night at the bar.  Was I right, or was I right?

Those three staples of Texas living have made their way to KC in the 20 years since I moved back here.  I don't hear nobody complaining about them.  And with good reason -- they're all good to great.

Whataburger?  Not my cup of tea, or type of burger.

(Ditto Braum's.  I know Dairy Queen, Braum's.  You are no Dairy Queen.)

But hey.  If Whataburger wants to buy up the abandoned Church's Chicken in the Price Chopper parking lot there at 85th and Wornall?

I'd welcome them to the neighborhood.

(But you'd still go across the street to Walsh's for your burger, right?)

Hell yes I would.

--------------------

As for Monday night, I guess I'm in a small minority, in that I don't think this is going to be a replay of the Patriots Sunday nighter a month ago, where nobody could stop anybody and the last team with the ball was guaranteed to win.

I think this is gonna play out a little closer to another prime time matchup the Chiefs have already played, the game at those people.  The defenses will have a say in the outcome.

And I think the better defense, holds in the red zone, for the win as the clock runs out.

* Chiefs (+2 1/2) 31, at Rams 24.

Enjoy this one, Chiefs fans.  God knows I'm going to.

And in case I don't post again before Thursday (a highly likely outcome), Happy Turkey Day to you and yours.  I hope your holiday will be as enjoyable as mine is shaping up to be.  The "Family" Thanksgiving on Wednesday?  Check.  The family Thanksgiving on Thursday?  Check.  Bob Seger's final performance in Kansas City on Saturday?  Check.

With Friday and Sunday to sort themselves out.

(Pause).  What?  (Pause).  Of course I'm eating all the pumpkin pie!  You'd be surprised how well that goes down with a straight scotch!  #thingsyoulearnfromyourdad

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...