Monday, June 29, 2009

the best of what's around

a few random thoughts, since I haven't posted in like 4 weeks:

* I have pretty much been listening to Michael Jackson non-stop since his passing. Saturday night, the "Party on the Porch", it was just amazing. The demographics were across the board: we had the 55+ crowd, the middle aged, the "I swear I'm still young (aka me)", and the actual yutes; we had black and white, gay and straight ... like we do every pool day ... and yet everyone was rocking out to Michael on the stereo. Well into the night.

My 5 favorite MJ songs, since nobody asked:

5. "Dirty Diana". Love this song. Absolutely love it. Anytime you can sing about a slutty stalker, I'm tuning in.

4. "We Are the World". Whatever you think of the song, if you're my age or older, there's no denying it absolutely captivated the world. To this day, anytime I hear this song on Sirius 8, I sing along to every word, noting each friggin artist as they come on. Maybe I obscess about this too much. But its a great song. There's a great article on ew.com right now interviewing Huey Lewis of all people on how this song went down that night. Awesome read.

3. "Man In the Mirror". Holy Lord, what an amazing song. I know "Black or White" and "Remember the Time" came later, but I'd argue this was his last earth-shattering single. Just tremendous. As much as I love "Praying for Time" by George Michael (released at just about the same time), this song so kicks its ass ... "I'm starting with the man in the mirror! I'm asking him to change his ways! And no message could have been any clearer! If you want to make the world a better place, take a look in the mirror, and make the change!"

2. "Smooth Criminal". THE single most underrated song he ever did. Its absolute genius. Absolute genius. The remake a few years ago by Alien Ant Farm tried ... but this is one song that the original can NEVER be topped. This is artistic genius at its finest. Absolute genius. (Good God, I'm channeling my inner James Lipton here, verbally fellating this thing. I don't care, its that damned awesome). If its possible, this is almost the first rap / rock fusion song, a solid 15 years before anyone even thought of the genre. Its just brilliance on display. Just brilliance.

But the best:

1. "Billie Jean". From the second you hear the opening beats, tell me you don't immediately start tapping your feet, nodding your head, snapping your fingers. You know every damned lyric to open the song, "She was more like a beauty queen / From a movie scene / I said don't mind but what do you mean / I am the one / Who will dance / On the floor / In the round ..."

Or even better, the first bridge: "People always told me / Be careful what you do / Don't go around breakin' young girls hearts! / And mother always told me / Be careful who you love / Be careful what you do / Before the lie becomes the truth ..."

(go ahead, start singing)

"Billie Jean is not my lover!
She's just a girl who
Claims that I am the one!
But the kid is not my son!
She says I am the one!
But the kid is not my son!"

Good God, I love that song. I love that artist. You will be missed sir. Rest in peace wherever you are.

* Really looking forward to July 18th. Megan's triumphant return to Kauffman Stadium! Yay! Its gonna rock the parking lot.

* Also looking forward to July 24th, the (depending on your accounting) 100,000th ounce (doubtful), 250,000th ounce (possible) or 300,000th ounce (yup) of alcohol consumed by Steve tailgate! Should be great. For everyone but my liver.

* Kasey Kahne only 1 friggin point out of the Chase. As close as you can get. Thankfully, he has three tracks this month he runs really well at (Daytona, Chicago, Indy) to make up the difference heading into the stretch run. I hope to be there at the last one to root him on to victory. Or to at least make fun of Gregg in the Old Spice gear he'll have to be decked out in ...

* I know I'm in the minority, but I don't think this season is over for the Boyz n Blue. We're home for pretty much the entire month of July. We need a solid homestand this week (aka 6-1, 5-2 at worst). But remember, 2003? We led the division by 7 1/2 games at the All Star Break. We last led the division on August 28th. Collapses happen. Comebacks happen. Just put yourself in a position to win. The last gasp homestand begins tonight. Let's get it done guys.

* P Diddy is in a better place. Am I sad to have to let him go? Sure. I cried leaving his new home. I cried the whole drive home. Hell, I cried the entire time I was taking him there, thinking every stoplight was the last time I'd reach back and pet him. But he's in a good place, and I have to believe he'll find a family that will give him the love, affection, and attention he deserves. He never would have made it here on the 2nd floor. So, you make "The Best of What's Around".

Speaking of which ... and the point of this post in the first place I guess ...

* Since its the elephant in the room apparently thanks to my Facebook update (thank you 8 friends and counting with the "you guys are fighting?!?!" emails ...) yes, I am very pissed off over the way things have gone down the last couple months. I am beyond pissed off. Quite honestly ... and since its my blog I can be "quite honest" I guess ... quite honestly, I'm not sure the last time I was as pissed off at someone as I am right now. Really, really pissed off is an understatement.

Having said that ... since I'm not a fighter, and I need to just end this before I become a friggin zombie from being so hate filled that I can't sleep ... sometimes Dave puts it best:

"See You and Me,
Have a Better Time Than Most Can Dream;
Have It Better Than The Best,
And So Can Pull on Through.
Whatever Tears At Us,
Whatever Holds Us Down,
If Nothing Can Be Done,
We'll Make the Best of What's Around ..."

I wish things had ended differently. I certainly wish things had been handled differently in the year leading up to the ending. But it is what it is. ("lost" voice) whatever happened, happened. So let's make "The Best of What's Around" for the rest of the summer, champ. And going forward to boot. If you hate me, if you're pissed at me, fine. I'm not quite sure why, but so be it. I choose to embrace the opposite of my feelings, and make "The Best of What's Around". I refuse to let a couple bad months ruin a couple great years. I hope you feel the same.

* Just gotta say, speaking of "The Best of What's Around", we're a mere 47 days from the preseason home opener! The Grigsby Clan back at Arrowhead! 105 and sunny! Just go ahead and book my reservation on Russ and Mona's couch now, I'm gonna need a pass out spot ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...