Wednesday, November 25, 2009

the week twelve predictions

Even by my standards ... yikes. Last week was a HHH sledgehammer to the nuts kind of week. I'll try to do better ...

Last Week SU: 8-8-0.
Season to Date SU: 93-67-0.

Last Week ATS: 4-12-0.
Season to Date ATS: 75-84-1.

Last Week Upset / Week: ugh.
Season to Date Upset / Week: 5-6.
This Week's Upset / Week: denver (+7) over Giants.

The Non-Chiefs Predictions:

* Packers (-10 1/2) 41, at Lions 13.
* at Cowboys (-13 1/2) 34, raiders 3.
* at broncos (+7) 14, Giants 10.
* at Texans (+3) 31, Colts 28.
* at Bengals (-14) 45, Browns 0.
* at Vikings (-10 1/2) 38, Bears 20.
* at Eagles (-9) 31, Redskins 13.
* Dolphins (-3) 17, at Bills 9.
* at Titans (NL) 31, Cardinals 30.
* at Rams (+3) 6, Seahawks 2.
* at Falcons (-12) 35, Bucs 0.
* Panthers (+3) 16, at Jets 10.
* Jaguars (+3) 23, at 49ers 17.
* at Ravens (NL) 13, Steelers 10.
* at Saints (-3) 41, Patriots 37.

The Chiefs Prognostication:

Well, since I've been called out for this quote all week, let's relive it, ok?

"There is not one sane, logical reason for me to pick the Chiefs to win this game. And in fact, I'm not going to. Because I don't see any way the Chiefs can win this game, short of every member of the Steelers coming down with some horrific illness or injury".

I've taken a ton of crap this week for that prediction. (Funny how I merely verbalized what EVERYONE in town was thinking, yet somehow, I'm the poster child for disbelief in the Chiefs. Really. Me, the model of having a less-than-optimistic view on the Red and Gold. Clearly, someone hasn't read the archives on this site, or ever visited the old site, or ever gotten the Friday Predictions from back in the day).

But, in the interest of fairness, let's just look at a couple things.

Passing Yards: Steelers 415, Chiefs 248.
Completion Percentage: Steelers 75%, Chiefs 50%.
Rushing Yards: Steelers 114, Chiefs 68.
Total Plays Run: Steelers 78, Chiefs 55.
Time of Possession: Steelers 44:07, Chiefs 22:25.
Red Zone Efficiency: Steelers 60% (3 of 5), Chiefs 33% (1 of 3)
Average Gain Per Play: Steelers 6.6, Chiefs 5.1

There is not one stat in there that suggests any "sane, logical reason" to explain how the Chiefs won this game. Even the turnover margin was merely +1 for KC.

So what won it for the Red and Gold? You can point to Charles' kickoff return, fine ... but the Steelers dropped 17 unanswered after that. I'm not buying it. You can point to Studebaker's two 3rd quarter INTs ... but the Steelers answered with a quick touchdown of their own after those potential back-breakers.

No, I point to something else. Something in the very next paragraph after the fateful quote above:

"What I want to see Sunday is something that really we haven't seen yet this season out of Coach Haley. Professionalism ... I want to see a competent, coherent, respectable gameplan on offense. I was to see a composed, dignified behavior on the sideline. I want to see our best players on the field, not in some proverbial doghouse because Coach has his panties in a bunch over some missed assignment from three weeks ago. I want to see a PROFESSIONAL football team on display".

Sunday, for the first time in a while, we saw PROFESSIONAL football on display. No insane temper tantrums by the head coach. No ridiculous sideline pouting. No retarded benching of guys for no apparent reason. When the guys at the top are professional, it tends to filter down.

Look it, the Chiefs don't have the talent to win in San Diego. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but let's be realistic here. We caught the perfect storm at Arrowhead on Sunday. I don't expect the scenarios we saw on Sunday (trap game for the other team, perfect special teams execution by the Chiefs, opening up the playbook at just the right time) to repeat themselves.

What I DO expect to continue, or at least I DEMAND continue, is that Coach Haley and his troops play PROFESSIONAL football. That's all I ask going forward. No more acting like a two year old who just sh*t his diapers and is growing impatient for someone to change him. Act like a PROFESSIONAL. I cannot stress this enough.

And who knows. If the professionalism shows up again on Sunday like it did last week, maybe my statement two paragraphs above looks as ridiculous as my dire prediction last week. A kid can dream.

at Chargers 27, Chiefs (+13 1/2) 14.

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...