Saturday, December 22, 2012

mixology 2012 part ocho: the colts

"Someday at Christmas?
Men won't be boys,
Playing with bombs
Like kids play with toys.
One warm December?
Our hearts will see,
A world where men are free.

Someday at Christmas?
There'll be no wars!
When we have learned
What Christmas is for?
When we have found
What life's really worth?
There'll be peace on earth!

Someday all our dreams will come to be!
Someday in a world where men are free!
Maybe not in time for you and me,
But someday at Christmastime!
Someday at Christmastime!"

-- "Someday at Christmas" by Stevie Wonder.

----------------------------

Sorry there was no Mixology Part Siete.  You'll have to forgive me if my mind wasn't quite focused on football and tailgating the day before the Panthers game.

Well, this season is almost over.  One last disaster to suffer through at home, and one last thirty point defeat on the road to endure.  Let's check out in style.

Here's the playlist for the final tailgate of the season.  I sincerely hope every Chiefs fan shows up tomorrow.  Truly, I mean that.  If I had my extra (Dr. Frank is using it), I'd offer it to anyone who wanted it.  (Oh wait, I already did).  Look it, whatever you think of this season -- and God knows, you couldn't hate it more than I did if you tried -- whatever you think?

It's time to heal, guys.  We know Pioli and Crennel are gone.  We know we're getting wholesale changes designed to return this team to it's soul and it's core.  I honestly hope we win tomorrow.  I want to blow the number one pick, to send Romeo Crennel out a winner, which is what he is, in the things that truly count in life.  That man ... godd*mmit, that man deserves a sold out stadium, clad in red, cheering him as a person, as a man.  (Not as a head coach.  Gotta be clear on that.)

I've gone from calling that man "Coach Baffoon" four weeks ago ... to knowing I'll probably cry as I'm giving him a final round of applause when the clock strikes all zeroes tomorrow.  Peoples and peepettes?  If this is your team?  If you love the Red and Gold even 2/1000ths as much as I do?  Show up tomorrow.  You know tickets will be dirt cheap.  Hell, they're on Stubhub right now for as low as $3.

If you can show up and cheer our team one more time, do it.  You won't regret it.  And wear red -- because it is time to heal, it's time to forgive, it's time to reflect on what matters, and set aside all the petty stupid sh*t, and simply embrace the team we love, as they reach the end of the worst season of all time for them.

Here's the playlist, starting with the holdovers and obvious choices from the last Mixology list, and any comments I choose to make:

1. "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" by the Animals.
2. "Let It Be" by the Beatles.  Possibly the most underrated moment from the Panthers tailgate, and I didn't even mention it in the 16 page recap -- when this song came on, and the entire tailgate just busted out singing along.  Group therapy -- it's underrated.
3. "Sexual Healing" by Ben Harper.  Yeah, this is underrated too (rimshot!)
4. "No Diggity" by Blackstreet (featuring Dr. Dre).
5. "The More I Drink" by Blake Shelton.
6. "Lido Shuffle" by Boz Skaggs.
7. "One Toke Over the Line" by Brewer and Shipley.
8. "Better Days" by Bruce Springsteen.
9. "Lucky Town" by Bruce Springsteen.
10. "Word Up" by Cameo.
11. "Down On the Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
12. "Up Around the Bend" by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
13. "You Never Even Called Me By My Name" by David Allan Coe.
14. "(Don't You) Forget About Me", cover by David Cook.
15. "The Time Of My Life" by David Cook.
16. "Layla", original version, by Derek and the Dominoes.
17. "Down With the Sickness" by Disturbed.
18. "Hotel California" by the Eagles (live "Hell Freezes Over" version).
19. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem.
20. "Drink In My Hand" by Eric Church.  Well duh -- we'll be at a Chiefs game, after all.
21. "Layla", unplugged version, by Eric Clapton.  Can you believe it's been 20 years since Clapton's Unplugged CD came out?  And I STILL don't know which version I like better.  And yes, I still find it hysterical that a certain friend known as "The Champ" had no clue this was not the original version of the song.  Kids.
22. "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac.  And I'm adding one by the Mac --
23. "Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomorrow)", by Fleetwood Mac (live "The Dance" version).
24. "We Are Young" by .fun.
25. "Rock and Roll Part II" by Gary Glitter.
26. "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" by Gary Portnoy.
27. "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright.
28. "What Is Life" by George Harrison.
29. "I Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison.
30. "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye.
31. "Maneater" by Hall and Oates.
32. "Out of Touch, Out of Time" by Hall and Oates.  Of all their great ones ... this one is my favorite.
33. "Private Eyes" by Hall and Oates.
34. "Rich Girl" by Hall and Oates.
35. "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies.
36. "Shout!" by the Isley Brothers.  Allow me to once again express my outrage that iTunes doesn't have Otis Day's version from "Animal House" available to buy.  Hang on, let me check real quick to make sure this outrage hasn't turned into a Chrismukkah miracle ... OH SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS, IT'S THERE!!!!  Oh hell to the mo' fo' yes!!!  So let me use this scratch through feature ...
36. "Shout!" by Otis Day and the Knights (from "Animal House").  Merry Chrismukkah!!!!  A lil' bit softer now ... a lil' bit louder now!  Hey Hey Hey Hey!  (Hey Hey Hey Hey!)  And yes, I absolutely just spent the last 4:13 dancing appropriately to this song, and fist pumping during the "Hey!" portion.
37. "Somebody to Love" by Jefferson Airplane.
38. "I Got a Name" by Jim Croce.
39. "Work" by Jimmy Eat World.
40. "I Hate Myself for Loving You" by Joan Jett and the Blackhawks.
41. "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off" by Joe Nichols.
42. "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey.
43. "Open Arms" by Journey.
44. "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane.
45. "Luckenbach, Texas", cover by Kid Rock and Kenny Chesney.
46. "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins.
47. "What I Like About You" by the Kinks.
48. "Fresh" by Kool and the Gang.
49. "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang.
50. "Jump!" by Kris Kross.
51. "Yeah!" by Usher, featuring Lil' Jon and Ludacris.
52. "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park.
53. "Penny Lover" by Lionel Richie.  It's gonna be 34 degrees tomorrow.  I ain't walking home.
54. "Dancing on the Ceiling" by Lionel Richie.  Can a kid dream?  Two games in a row?
55. "Borderline" by Madonna.
56. "Shining Star" by the Manhattans.
57. "Every Monday" by the Marvelous 3.  Still the most criminitely, grousely underrated song of all time.
58. "Come On Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson.
59. "Electric Feel" by MGMT.
60. "Kids" by MGMT.
61. "Time to Pretend" by MGMT.
62. "Daydream Believer" by the Monkees.
63. "Bye Bye Bye" by NSYNC.
64. "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond.
65. "Stand By Me", cover by Otis Redding.
66. "Innocent" by Our Lady Peace.  For the 11th straight year, it stands on the last day of the year, as my favorite song of all time.
67. "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.
68. "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey.
69. "Home" by Phillip Phillips, which is bar none my favorite song of 2012.
70. "Boom!" by POD.
71. "Killer Queen" by Queen.
72. "Go All the Way" by the Raspberries.  Yes, please!
73. "Super Freak" by Rick James.
74. "Get Off Of My Cloud" by the Rolling Stones.
75. "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones.
76. "Mixed Emotions" by the Rolling Stones.
77. "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones.  "Vanity.  DEFINITELY my favorite sin!"  If anyone can identify what movie that's the closing line to, as this song plays?  I'll make you the best bloody mary you've ever had, if you show up tomorrow.
78. "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones.
79. "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones.
80. "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison.
81. "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg.  I'm about to turn 36 ... and I still think one of the funniest moments of my life, was seeing Snoopy riding around the stage on a tricycle, with a gigantic marijuana leaf hanging in the background, as he was getting baked out of his mind while performing this song.  In his defense?  The only thing that I wasn't doing the exact same way at that point, was that I was just standing, I wasn't on a tricycle.
82. "Faded" by soul Decision.
83. "Strangehold" by Ted Nugent.
84. "F*ck Her Gently" by Tenacious D.  Brought the house down when this came on at the Panthers game.
85. "Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston.
86. "All or Nothing" by Theory of a Deadman.
87. "Out Of My Head" by Theory of a Deadman.
88. "Shambala" by Three Dog Night.
89. "I Like It, I Love It" by Tim McGraw.
90. "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
91. "Save Me, San Francisco!" by Train.
92. "Downfall" by TRUST Company.
93. "Beautiful Day" by U2.
94. "Toes" by the Zac Brown Band.
95. "Down" by 311.
96. "The Rising" by Bruce Springsteen.
97. "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas.  YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!!!!
98. "Aw!  The denver broncos!" by Homer J. Simpson.
99. "Black Betty" by Ram Jam.
100. "Tailfeather" by Nelly.

Those are the holdovers.  That leaves 40 slots, give or take a couple, to toss onto the iPod.  Here's what's new, and the last few slots will be filled at tonight's pre-party, or on the ride out tomorrow to the game.  As always, if you're coming and have a request, let me know -- I'll toss it on there, no matter how awful it is.  (Hey, I gave Boasheao some sh*t, and I mean sh*t, it was that atrocious, by some band called AWOLNATION.  It was beyond awful.  But I put three songs by these no-talent hacks on there anyways.  Because I'm a nice guy like that.)

101. "Dirty Little Secret" by the All American Rejects.  Should have been on there from game uno.
102. "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys.  DJ won't be there, so I can finally get away with this.  "Tell me why (ain't nothing but a false start!)  Tell me why (ain't nothing but a penalty!)  Tell me why (I never want to hear you say!)  Ed-Ward Hoch-U-Li!!!!"

(Yes, once upon a time, I re-wrote the words of this song, as a tribute to Ed Hochuli.  I also somehow managed to turn "Beaches of Cheyenne" into a Dick Hantak tribute.  I really, really wish I still had access sometimes to my old Transamerica sent items folder, if only for an hour.  There were some golden, golden moments that are sadly lost forever, that I really wish in hindsight I'd remembered to save ...)

103. "And Your Bird Can Sing" by the Beatles (Anthology version).  I hope this pops up.  If you've never heard it, John and Paul are baked off their asses, and completely lose it while trying to record this ... only they kept rolling through the whole song.  It's awesome.
104. "Pretty Good At Drinkin' Beer" by Billy Currington.  Well, duh.
105. "Piano Man" by Billy Joel.  It's the last game of the season.  I love, love, love the Colton Dixon version ... but for one game, the original gets the call.
106. "Alcohol" by Brad Paisley.  Along with ...
107. "Ticks" by Brad Paisley.  Another priceless moment in life I'll always cherish -- we were down at the lake for the weekend, it's Sunday, and me, DJ, and Doc are headed back home, and this song comes on.  Me and Doc are loving it, and DJ, out of nowhere when the song is over: "I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to check someone for ticks?"  Champ -- sometimes, you're just too damned funny for your own good.
108. "It's Not Over" by Daughtry.  Sadly ... it is.  At least for the Chiefs in 2012.
109. "The Space Between Us" by Dave Matthews Band.  Can't believe they rarely made an appearance on Mixology 2012.  My favorite song by them.
110. "Sugar We're Going Down" by Fall Out Boy.
111. "Float On" by the Floaters.  "Take my hand -- come with me baby, to Loveland!"  Never gets old.
112. "Soldier" by Gavin DeGraw.  Along with ...
113. "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw.  Along with ...
114. "In Love With a Girl" by Gavin DeGraw.  You pick which one is the best.  (Hint: it's the second one ... but they all rule.)
115. "Flake" by Jack Johnson.
116. "Up On the Roof" by James Taylor.
117. "In My Head" by Jason Derulo.
118. "The Remedy" by Jason Mraz.
119. "Time After Time", cover by Javier Colon.
120. "Like I Love You" by Justin Timberlake.  His first single ... and still his best.
121. "Summer Love" by Justin Timberlake.  Although this one rocks the joint too.
122. "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" by the Moody Blues.  Along with ...
123. "In Your Wildest Dreams" by the Moody Blues.  That's for you, Chris.
124. "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons.  This song grows on you.
125. "California" by Phantom Planet.
126. "Go To Extremes" by Billy Joel.

And my final initial selection:

127. "Right Here, Right Now" by Van Halen.  God, the memories this song holds.  "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!  This is Dan Roberts, welcoming you to Arrowhead Stadium, the loudest stadium in the NFL!  For today's featured matchup between (insert team here) and your Kansas City?  CHIEFS!!!!  On behalf of Lamar Hunt, Norma Hunt, the Hunt Family, and Carl Peterson, we welcome you, and thank you for your attendance at today's game.  And now, please join me in welcoming Tony DiPardo, Patti DiPardo-Livergood, and the TD Pack Band!!!"

I truly do hope everyone that can make it tomorrow, comes out.  Tickets are dirt cheap.  It'll be nine months and a boatload of change before you can watch our team again guys and gals.  Whatever you may think of this season?  It won't match my anger, frustration, and disappointment.  Because this season?  Was truly rock bottom.  There's nowhere to go but up.

And I cannot wait to renew my seats on January 15th, as the first step on the rise to the top ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...