Saturday, October 5, 2019

quick week five picks

“Now all the stars are turning blue;
Just kissed the clock 2:22.
Baby, I know what you’re wishin’ for –
I’m wishin’ for it too!

Now all the lights are flashing gold;
Nobody cares how fast we go.
Our soundtrack’s in the stereo –
This DJ’s on a roll!

Girl?  You got the beat right!
Killing in your Levis!
High on your lovin’?
Got me buzzin’ like a streetlight!

It’s still early out in Cali –
Baby don’t you wanna rally again?

We’ll find a road with no name!
Lay back in the slow lane!
The sky is dropping Jupiter on us
Like some old Train!

We’ll be rolling down the windows –
I bet you we’re catching our second wind!

We don’t have to go home!
We can leave the night on!

We can leave the night on! …”


--------------------

Last Week SU: 8-7-0.
Season to Date SU: 37-25-1.

Last Week ATS: 6-9-0.
Season to Date ATS: 32-32-1.

Last Week Upset / Week: two for two baby!
Season to Date Upset / Week SU: 4-1-0.
Season to Date Upset / Week ATS: 4-1-0.
This Week Upset / Week: those people (+6) over "Super" Chargers.

--------------------

The Non-Chiefs Picks.

* Byes: Lions, Dolphins.

* My Thursday Night pick was Rams (+2) 38, at Seahawks 27.
* at Steelers (+3 1/2) 19, Ravens 3.
* raiders (+5 1/2) 24, Bears 21 (Game in London).
* "Super" Cardinals (+3) 3, at Bengals 2.  "Good Times Game O' The Week" honors.
* at Panthers (+3 1/2) 24, Jaguars 14.  "Empty Nest Game O' The Week" honors.
* at Giants (+5) 31, Vikings 20.
* Patriots (-15 1/2) 45, at Redskins 10.  "ALF Game O' The Week" honors.
* at Eagles 24, Jets (+14 1/2) 13.
* at Saints (-3) 31, Bucs 20.
* at Texans (-4) 28, "Shane" Falcons 20.
* at Titans (-3) 14, Bills 10.
* those people (+6) 29, at "Super" Chargers 17.
* at Cowboys 35, Packers (+3) 34.
* Browns (+4) 35, at 49ers 20.

The "Klassy" Kevin Kietzman Tweet O' The Week.

In kase you missed it, Kaptain Klassy returned to the airwaves of 810 WHB on Tuesday morning, as part of the 20th anniversary look back.

And I have to say, for the first ten, twelve minutes of the nearly half hour konversation, I honestly missed the guy.  Because the first half of the konversation -- looking back fondly at the failed broadcast tower, the 1510 days, the Walk Out (still the most stupid stunt of all time, but whatever, it put "K"KK on the radar), the gamble of leaving FOX 4 for a start-up radio station -- the first half of the konversation reminded me (and I'm sure many of you) of why we listened to and liked the guy in the first place.

But in klassic Kietz style, he couldn't leave well enough alone.

In the last half of the konversation, he claimed Don Fortunato was a "dear personal friend", claimed Patrick Mahomes was looking "shaky" (or was it "sketchy"?  I refuse to re-listen to the audio to recall which it was), and claimed this will be Bill Self's final season as head of the Jayhawks (a claim I don't disagree with, for what it's worth).

It wouldn't be a kall with The Pantsless One unless he flung a few half-truths and outright bullsh*t lies against the wall and saw which ones might stick, would it?

(Pause).  What?  (Pause).  Well, of course he sounds like me!  Why the hell do you think I mock him every chance I get!  If you can't laugh at yourself, you have to brace for everyone else laughing at you, not with you!  (old school biography dude voice) That's a rule!  And I should do a Biography on it!  But I bet I won't! 

Because while I have some "shaky" and "sketchy" moments in my past?  To the best of my recollection, none of them involve being told by one of Perfect Village's finest that I can pull my pants back up now.

(old school biography dude voice) Nighty night!

The Watching Party Plans.

There are no The Watching Party Plans, as this is a Chiefs game I will be in attendance for.  And, if things roll the way I expect (and hope) them to, there won't be any The Watching Party Plans until the Chiefs deplane in Mexico City.

The Tailgating Plans.

We will be in our usual spot when the gates open.  The Bus leaves at noon; the Chiefs claim the gates will open at 2:30, but any old-school grizzled veteran of the tailgating process knows those bastardos will be open by 1:30 at the latest.

We're teaming up with the Mahomies folks this week -- they're doing the main course, and we're bringing all the side dishes.  I'm making my jalapeno poppers (should be a solid 120-150 of them given how many jalapenos are in the fridge and still ready to be picked in the garden) ... and yes, I'm being drug out of retirement to make jello shots too.  I even went truly old school and swung through Party City down in Brookside on Thursday to grab a few sleeves of cups and lids, to do them up right.

You're welcome.

And as always, anyone and everyone who desires a place to enjoy some libations, eat some good food, and whip my ass at cornhole (or get yours whipped at beer pong), is always welcome to join in the fun, frivolity, and festivities, in the grassy knoll just north of the G30 sign.

Disreputable Mexican Food Truck Update.

I'm not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing ... but from like 2009 until it closed in early 2017, I was well known enough at my former watering hole (the late, great Quinton's in Waldo), that not only did everyone know me by name (and vice versa), but my drink was waiting for me every day when I'd arrive after work (usually 5:30ish).  Didn't matter if the bartender was Paul, Megan, or the great Jerry himself, that vodka with a drip or three of Sprite was in my spot when I arrived every day for a solid five, six years.

It's now gotten that good (or is it bad?) for me ... across the street at The Well.  Doesn't matter if it's Lindsay, Mike, or Lauren, they always have my double SoCo on the rocks with lime ready when I walk in the door. 

I guess it's nice to know that while Quinton's may be gone, my alcoholism is still known enough to exist in that awesome corner of Kansas City at 75th and Wornall.

I love where I live, folks.  I truly do * .

(*: back when Mr. Reason and I were roommates, we had a liquor store by us named Matchette Liquors.  Needless to say, I was on a first name basis with the owner and the employees ** .  The beauty of that relationship was that every time we'd throw a party, Justin (the owner) would sell us our alcohol needs -- especially kegs -- at cost.

(Note: I really, really miss the "Blow Up The Backyard BeerBQ Bonanza".  Almost as much as I miss the IndyCar race the next day in that blessed 105 Texas-style heat.)  

Anyways, Mr. Reason always used to joke that "once you move, that place will close within six months!"  The lesson?  As always, Mr. Reason is right.  That place was closed within less than a year of my moving (old school collection dude voice) to the Missouri side, of the state line.  I have always found that to be hysterical -- I single handedly kept a liquor store afloat for five years.  To those of you who think I bullsh*t and lie about my ability to drink?  Losing me as a customer literally closed (at the time) western Johnson County's only credible liquor store, within a year of me moving.  I defy you, to top that.)

(**: this was also the genius of the only exercise plan I've ever stuck to: the last five, six months I lived out there, I walked to the liquor store to get my daily / nightly needs.  A solid half mile there, plus half mile back, carrying a case or a few handles.  It was win-win baby: my body got worked out, and got worked over (rimshot)!)

The Chiefs Pontification and Prognostication.

I think Sunday is going to be one hell of a party, from the moment the gates open, until the moment we all depart.

I think the Chiefs are going to destroy the Colts.

And thus, the pick.

* at Chiefs (-11) 48, Colts 13.

See ya tomorrow ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...