Tuesday, March 15, 2011

i stand corrected ...

First of all, congrats to XM Radio, for giving the listening public for the fourth time the best radio station ever:

Neil. Diamond. Radio.

I mean, we're at four friggin appearances and counting since the channel "debuted" with his "American Idol" night two years ago. How many times do you have to keep bringing this back before you figure out there's one helluva audience for it! (Myself definitely included!)

But since a little earlier this year I proclaimed either (take your pick) "Go Your Own Way" or "Silver Springs" as the greatest breakup song ever (both by the "absolutely I'm in, when they comin'?!?!" incredible band Fleetwood Mac) ...

Uuh, "NDR", as it's known with me and a few close friends, gave me what is THE greatest "breakup" song driving home tonight.

"You Don't Bring Me Flowers", an amazing duet with Neil and Barbra Streisand from when I was three, apparently.

The sad thing is ... I remember their Grammy performance. And I was three! It's still my favorite Grammy moment ever. And the lyrics ... damn. Beyond incredible.

Enjoy arguably the Grammy's greatest moment of my lifetime, to Neil Diamond Radio's greatest contribution to my day. (And yes, watch the first 40 seconds -- you can not only see how terrified Streisand was to actually sing ... she pauses for a good three, four seconds before opening in a "wait, I can still escape behind the curtain" kind of way. Which drives this duet from "epic" to "beyond epic" ...)



I still get chills 30 friggin years later. And yes, I'm old, but God bless it, when music actually was music and not some insanely hot 25 year old being remixed by a computer ... to hear the standing ovation of music when MUSIC mattered ... absolutely awesome.

And you're damned right I want someday for the words to this song to matter to me. But hopefully not for too long ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...