Thursday, June 7, 2018

the second thursday thirteen ...

"Lying beside you,
Here in the dark.
Feeling your heart beat?
With mine.

Softly?  You whisper.
You're so sincere.
How could our love
Be so blind?

We sailed on together;
We drifted apart.
And here?
You are by my side!

So now I come to you?
With open arms!
Nothing to hide --
Believe what I say!

So here I am
With open arms!
Hold me and you'll see?
What your love means to me?

In open arms ..."

-- "Open Arms" by Journey ... which had Number Two been done properly, would make perfect sense, for today's post ...

--------------------

I am known for a lot of things.

One of those things -- sadly -- is my utter inability to follow through on vague promises made.

Today's Thursday Thirteen?

Is a look at the thirteen greatest "fails" on this site.

Enjoy?

------------------

13. The Annual Stevo Top 50.

I haven't ranked my 50 favorite songs in five years.  Whether that's because nothing has changed ... or I'm just lazy as hell, is open to your interpretation.

(Note: bet the latter.)

12. The Patriots / Chiefs Recap, Week Four 2014.

In my defense, I had one hell of a good reason to focus on a different recap.

And in my defense ... that's all I've got, for somehow failing to relive via typed word, arguably the single greatest victory of the "Fat" Andy Reid era.

(Note: it's not.  This one isOr it's this one, because this is the one that not only rolled back five years of utter failure, but ushered in everything that's happened in these last five years.  But still.  Epic fail on my part.  Either way, the Texans are involved.)

11, The Second Half of 2016's Weekly NFL Picks Post.

What can I say -- for once?  I was right.  Hey, you try writing after an ego boosting deflating moment like that.  Because I couldn't for three months.

10. Part II of "Crossing the Rubicon".

Week Two from 2015.  Although in my defense, I'd like to think the "let 'em roam where they want to" approach to parking the Chiefs have taken since that godd*mned f*cking awful September day, was at least 0.00002% the result, of my missive known as Part One of "Crossing the Rubicon".

9. No Secretary Clinton or Mr. Trump Speech Recaps.

For the record, I loved Mr. Trump's acceptance speech, and I hated Secretary Clinton's.  Which, in a moment of true irony, was the exact opposite reaction of nearly everyone who opted to vote for Mr. Trump that I know -- all four of my parents liked Hillary's better, with my second mom even noting "I now see what you see in her.  She was great (tonight)", and my actual mom noting "if it was anyone other than her, she'd have my vote".

Hang on, there's a wall calling my head for a bashing cession right about now ...

8. No Retrospective on the Scott Pioli Era Error.

I tried, somewhat ... but yeah, this isn't what I should have offered.

(For the record, and hang on, let me don some protective gear here ... I wouldn't have fired Mr. Pioli.  I'm not upset that Mr. Hunt and "Fat" Andy did ... but I wouldn't have.  His drafts weren't nearly as bad as you'd think.  And for the record, Mr. Pioli strikes me as someone who, when given a second chance, won't f*ck up and fail.  He'll learn from his rookie mistakes.)

7. Nothing -- Not One Word -- From November 1, 2015.

Chiefs vs Lions in London.  Royals vs Mets, Game Five.  Not one word, on the day that defined one franchise (Royals), and set the table up for the best run of the last twenty years for the other (Chiefs).

God bless it, when I fail?  I epically fail.

6. No Recap of Numero Thirty Nine.

Or, January 3, 2016 -- Chiefs held on to beat the raiders, and nearly stole the division from those people, as a seven hour tailgate celebrated what is probably going to be my last great birthday -- the day I turned 39.

Then again, considering the day I turned 16, the Chiefs lost at the Chargers in the 1992 Wild Card Game (0-17), and the day after I turned 21, the Chiefs lost to those people in the single most painful defeat of my life (10-14) ... I'll take no recap and the win for $2,000, Alex.

5. No True Puerto Rico Recap.

I did post what my favorite moment of last summer's trip was, and why.

(And every godd*mned word of that post, has proven truer as time goes along.)

But given all that has happened in the year since?

I might need to revisit this one, before the memories start to fade too far away, to recap.

4. I Failed To Finish The Original Post Today.

For the record, I started it last Friday ... and for the record, we're coming back to it at some point, probably in the next month of Thursdays.

Because the plan was to "honor" my thirteen favorite co-workers, (kenny rogers voice) through the years.

I got through number two.

And then I realized who has to be at number one.

And realized that getting through number one, is going to require way, way, way too much alcohol, weed, and/or powerful narcotic, to deal with appropriately.

As someone far, far smarter than ... wait a second.  This is my quote!  As I have noted many a time: "my feelings on the present, will never influence my feelings on the past."

Another way of saying, there is no such thing as coincidence.

3. The Decade That ... Failed.

I got through half of the 'aughts.

That was five years ago.

To say nothing of the fact, that we're 18 months away, from having to start that series, for another decade.

2. My Twenty Seven Favorite (Episodes of Television Ever).

I got through four.

That was five years ago.

1. The Annual Column.

It hasn't posted in four years.

And even then, it posted four months late.

--------------------

If you can't admit your f*ck ups and failures?  Then you can't learn from life.

I royally screwed up many times on this site over the (gulp) almost ten years of its' existence.

But I've also had some, uuh, triumphs?

Perhaps that will be next week's Thursday Thirteen -- thirteen times I was right?

(Stevo remembers I all but picked Mr. Trump to win the election, on Night Two of the DNC.)

On second thought, I'll probably revisit the thirteen favorite co-workers idea.

Because re-living number one on that post, HAS to be less painful, than reliving November 8, 2016, is.

And sweet merciful Lord Jesus, are those words I'd never thought I'd type ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...