Thursday, October 25, 2018

week eight: home. sweet. home ...

Damn it feels good to be where I consider home!

And as a result, this week's picks are rushed and not very well constructed ... but with good reason.

I'll be on the Riverwalk in San Antonio at the lovely (and for once, that's not a smart ass remark), the lovely Sheraton Hotel Gunter * until the literal ass crack of dawn on Sunday morning, when I catch a 5:07 flight home ** to make kickoff at Arrowhead.

I'll figure out updated STD records both SU and ATS next week *** .

(*: I keep calling it Gunther.  I wonder why.)

(**: born in KC (St Luke's in Plaza / Westport), raised in the suburbs of KC **** , currently reside in KCMO Proper.  But damn ... Texas is home.)

(***: that's what she said.)

(****: given the amount of trash ... was this taken on a weekend I was dogsitting?  Asking for, a, uuh, a friend.  I swear.)

Here are your Week Eight Non-Chiefs Picks:

* at Texans (-7 1/2) 41, Dolphins 13.
* Jaguars (+3 1/2) 27, Eagles 24 (Game in London).
* at Steelers 27, Browns (+7 1/2) 20.
* at Bears 20, Jets (+6 1/2) 17.
* Redskins (PK) 38, at Giants 6.
* at Lions (-3) 41, Seahawks 24.
* at Bengals (-3 1/2) 34, Bucs 16"Good Times Game O' The Week" honors.
* at Panthers (+2 1/2) 27, Ravens 20.
* Colts (-3) 31, at raiders 14.
* at "Super" Cardinals (+1) 3, 49ers 0.
* Packers (+9 1/2) 41, at Rams 30Upset O' The Week.
* at Vikings (PK) 27, Saints 17.
* Patriots 24, at Bills (+14) 14.  "ALF Game O' The Week" honors.

And The Chiefs Prediction:

In case you doubt what this game means to me, I am leaving my adopted home state -- a place I get to, at most, once a year -- at 5:07 in the freaking morning, to ensure I do not miss kickoff.  (My flight lands at KCI as currently scheduled at 8:13am ... which means I'm guessing I get to Arrowhead around 9:30.)

I live for this game, more than I live for time in Texas.

Those are words ... well sh*t, those are words even twenty year old me would be saying.  It's just twenty year old me ... well sh*t, even twenty year old me would believe them.  After all, twenty year old me lived in Texas, my sophomore year in college.  But still.  As much as I love me some Texas, I love beating the living bejezus out of those people, more.

This year, I have a special shirt I've been sitting on for almost five months, to wear to this game.  I wore it today on the flight down to San Antonio, and to dinner and happy hour down here on the Riverwalk.  I have already received five -- five! -- "that's f*cking awesome!" compliments on it.

I'm guessing that gets multiplied by five hundred on Sunday.

Trust me -- you'll love it.  It's honestly the most perfect t-shirt I've ever owned ... save for possibly the "Big ... Bigger ... Webber!" t-shirt from Chris Webber's rookie season with the Warriors.

The Tailgating Menu is bronco burgers and assorted sides.  I'm leaving everything in "The Kids Krew"'s hands, plus my good buddy Andrew is coming in from South Dakota for this one, to (in his words) "experience the hate in person".

Oh buddy.  Me, going on no sleep, coming off an all night party / reception for my cousin's wedding, equals ... well, frankly, I'm frightened to see what it equals.

But not quite as frightening, as what is going to unfold.

This is those people's season folks.  If they can somehow steal this one, they're right back into the playoff race (and like the Chiefs, their schedule is backloaded easy, for the most part.  Their toughest days are behind them.)

They're gonna throw everything, plus the kitchen sink, at the Chiefs on Sunday.  And they're gonna almost pull this one off.

Just like the last time we faced them, (mike gundy voice) four! weeks ago.

* at Chiefs 31, those people (+10) 28 (OT).

I will see you Sunday.  I hope.  I think.

(stevo checking apartment prices in downtown San Antonio ...)

I WILL see you Sunday.

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...