Saturday, September 21, 2019

week three chiefs pick

"You can hear them going crazy!
In stadiums, in every nation!
A never ending celebration, baby!
This is how we show our dedication!

The boys in the band!
The boys in the band!
We do it for the fans!
(Hey!) The boys in the band!

Where the ladies?  Let the crowd in!
'Cause it's about to get loud?  In here!
And we're only getting started, baby!
Everybody wants to party with?

The boys in the band!
The boys in the band!
We do it for the fans!
The boys in the band! ..."

-- "Boys In The Band" by New Kids On The Block.

--------------------

The "Klassy" Kevin Kietzman Tweet O' The Week.

"Kaptain" Klassy hasn't tweeted anything in a while.  I can only imagine how much the fact that not one -- not one single person -- in the KC media even attempted to defend him three months ago, has to be driving him bat sh*t crazy.  Even (nsync voice) "bye! bye! bye!" * Brooke Pryor had Sam Mellinger at least attempt to defend her.  Sh*t even Tom Martin had a few defenders before seeking less-green pastures.

--------------------

(*: twenty years later?  You're godd*mned right I can still do every dance move to this song, up to and including the sh*t eating grin on Timberlake's face as the song hits the bridge.  Any man and his sister can dance to "Shout" when that pops up on Mixology at a tailgate.  I can do NSYNC to perfection.  I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.)

--------------------

The Watching Party Plans.

There are no The Watching Party Plans, as this is a Chiefs game I will be attending in person.

The Tailgating Plans.

We decided at "The Wedding" last weekend that we would keep things as nice and simple as possible.  We're doing subs and assorted side items.  I'm also making my jalapeno poppers **, and if I get a wild hair up my ass between now and Sunday morning, I might come out of retirement and make jello shots.

The Bus (as of now) is leaving at 5:30 Sunday morning.  I say "as of now", because the forecast looks like ... well, it's not pretty at this point, for Sunday morning.  As of now, it's supposed to be dumping down buckets of rain come Sunday morning here in KC, and a decent chunk of the game is supposed to see rain, as well as most (if not all) of the tailgating experience:


At least on the bright side, the temperature should be in the 70s, so at least the rain should be somewhat refreshing, given that the high's every day this week in KC have been pushing or above 90.

In any event, I plan to be down reserving our usual spot before the gates open.  If you need a place to get your drink on before entering the insane asylum Terrorhead promises to be on Sunday?  Feel free to join us.  (G30, grassy knoll, due north from the lamppost I nearly broke my foot on thirteen years ago, after losing to?  (norm macdonald voice) You guessed it!  The Baltimore Ravens!

--------------------

(**: I can't make many things well in life, but I make an amazing jalapeno popper.  With all jalapeno's picked out of the garden Saturday afternoon.  You'll love them.  Or hate them.  Either way, we all know they'll be gone by 10:15am.)

--------------------

Disreputable Mexican Food Truck Update:

So, I have worked at current employer now for over two years.  (I know, I know -- I don't get it either.  Then again, I conned TA into paying me for six years, and Zurich for nearly twelve, so apparently I do one thing in life right ... besides bore you to death by reading this site.)

Two years, as of September 6th.  Two years, I work across the street from Penn Valley Community College, specifically the Humanities building.  I park across the street from said Humanities building.

And only this week -- specifically Wednesday, since I was out of town on Monday and Tuesday -- only this week did I discover that there's a f*cking cafeteria in said Humanities building, that is not only dirt cheap, but damned good to boot!

How?  How does this happen?  How in the hell do I work not even two blocks from a place with a credible nacho bar?  A credible salad bar?  A credible sweet tea for cheaper than McDonald's?  And they take credit to boot!  How does this occur for two years and I never knew about it?

Seriously, I scored a full box of nachos, loaded up with chicken, black beans, spanish rice, refried beans, shredded mozzarella (so underrated on nachos), pico (with cilantro!), red and green onions, jalapenos, and imitation Velveeta on top, plus my "large as they make them" sweet tea, and I was out of there at under $8!

The lesson?  I'll let Homer sum it up for me.

Also, Disreputable Mexican Food Truck was not present for the only day I was in the office this week.  That's ... that's no bueno.  Especially if it has to compete against a nacho bar now.

--------------------

The Chiefs Pontification and Prognostication.

Picking the Chiefs This Season:

Straight Up: 1-1-0.
Against the Spread: 1-1-0.

Like Eddie Rabbitt, I love a rainy night.

But I can't stand a rainy day.

And it appears Sunday is going to be one of the rainiest, crappiest weather days for a Chiefs game in a few years.

All I ask, is to not let the weather forecast discourage your participation in the home opener.  So it's going to rain.  Who gives a sh*t?  We sat through a dozen plus inches of snow not even nine months ago to witness the Chiefs first home playoff win in a generation.  We sat through brutal cold the likes of which we rarely get here in Kansas City for that AFC Title Game.  (I swear, my feet are still frost-bitten from that contest, and I'm not joking about that -- they still hurt every morning when I wake up, nine months later.)

I kept hoping all week, as the, uuh, week rolled along, that the forecast would get better.  I mean, it was in the 90s when I got home from Dakotaland on Tuesday.  It was still in the high 80s when I left my community volunteer day yesterday.  Hell, even this morning as I finish typing this, it's already pushing 80, and it's at worst partly cloudy here in Waldo.  It's like the calm before the storm, I suppose.

So rather than b*tch about what it to come, let's instead celebrate what we're going to watch.  Two really good football teams, about to duke it out, in less than ideal conditions for both squads.  On paper, that favors the Ravens.  They have the better defense, their running game is far superior to the Chiefs', and they are built to win a (coach fambrough voice) throwdown, showdown, hoedown, far better than the Chiefs are.

But there's one thing the Ravens won't have tomorrow ... and that's home field advantage.

Provided we all show up.

I hope you do.  Because this season -- the one we've waited for our whole lives, Chiefs fans under the age of 50 -- this season truly begins on Sunday.  The Chiefs can move to 3-0 overall, 3-0 in the conference, and 1-0 in the division (a road win to boot!) before facing three very, very, very winnable games (at Lions (noon CT) / vs Colts (SNF) / vs Texans (noon CT for now; probably flexed to 3:30).  If the Chiefs win this game, there is absolutely no reason they won't be 6-0 going to the eighth layer of hell itself, and if they win that one, I'd be stunned if the Chiefs aren't 10-0 going to Mexico.

But lose this one, and not only to you release the choke hold the Chiefs could have on the division by day's end Sunday (I'm telling you -- the Texans are going to beat the Chargers.  We can bury them by the end of September with a win Sunday), but given what the Patriots remaining schedule is, it would mean 14-2 might not get you home field advantage, and might not even get you a bye.

So come out and embrace the elements on Sunday, rather than avoid them.  Be loud as f*ck.  As Dr. Dre would note: keep their heads ringin'!

The Chiefs play three critical regular season games this year: vs Ravens, at Patriots, and vs "Super" Chargers.  The first one is barely 26 hours away.  Let's do this.

* at Chiefs 34, Ravens (+6 1/2) 31 (OT).  Another instant classic out of these two squads.  This game is one I think we're going to remember and tell the grandkids about someday, Chiefs fans.  It's gonna be that good.  Nah, screw that -- it's gonna be that great.

See ya tomorrow morning, (not so) bright but (very, very) early ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...