Thursday, September 23, 2010

the week three predictions

"Well I'll remember you,
And the things that we used to do,
And the things that we used to say,
I'll remember you always ..."

-- "Perfect Memory" by Remy Zero.

So let me open the picks with what I wanted to say about last Monday's monumental, potentially season-establishing victory over the San Diego "Super" Chargers.

(And a quick apology: I had 29 texts from 11 different people throughout the game. As Susan, Russ, Mona, Dusty and the lovely KB can attest, my phone died before kickoff. So I couldn't reply. Sorry about that).

(And one other quick apology: you're not getting a full recap. At least anytime soon. After reading, and re-reading, and editing, and re-editing what I wanted to say, I thought it wasn't good enough. So I'm just gonna toss out the main point I wanted to make. Which was this:)

10:38pm: from Heath -- "it sounds like old times in there!"

And for the better part of a day, that was gonna be my hook. Happy days are here again. Only ... Heath was wrong.

As was anyone else who noted it felt like the "good old days" in there.

If you were there for that amazing, tear-inducing goalline stand in the final minute, think of who was around you. (I know who was around me -- my fellow tailgaters Katie, Will and Tyler moved down for the fateful final series).

More specifically, think of who wasn't there. Granted, it was 12:20 in the morning. It had been raining pretty heavily for the previous 2 plus hours. And yet, 55,000 plus were still there. The lower bowl was jammed packed. The upper deck was still well represented. Somehow, even the club level looked fuller.

But again, I ask the question, who was there? And who wasn't?

Which is why I think Heath, and the KC Star, and countless other folks are dead wrong.

Last Monday wasn't the "good old days". It was the start of the "good new days".

Because the folks that stood to the end, were us. The under 40 crowd. The new generation of die-hard Chiefs fans. Its our time now.

The generation that literally built Arrowhead, has come and gone. The generation that rebuilt Arrowhead, into the most feared facility in the NFL, has exited stage left. Its our job now to make that place into "Terrorhead" once again.

Last Monday was one helluva start. But it was only that, a start.

Come Sunday, its our time to shine again. "Terrorhead" wasn't built overnight in the 1990s. It didn't fall apart overnight in the 2000s. And it won't be rebuilt overnight in the 2010s. It's gonna take effort, dedication, and passion like what we saw on Monday.

More coming on this in the Chiefs prediction below ... beginning with the real "anthem" for week three of the NFL and Chiefs season ...

--------------------------

"I cannot take this anymore.
Saying everything I've said before.
All these words, they make no sense.
I've found bliss in ignorance.

The less I hear, the less you say.
You'll find that out anyways.
(Just like before ...)

Everything you say to me
(Takes me one step closer to the edge!)
And I'm about to break!

I need a little room to breathe!
(Cause I'm one step closer to the edge!)
And I'm about to break!"

-- Linkin Park, "One Step Closer".

Last Week SU: 8-8-0
Season to Date SU: 21-11-0

Last Week ATS: 9-6-1
Season to Date ATS: 17-13-2

Last Week Upset / Week: oy vey.
Season to Date Upset / Week: 0-2.
This Week's Upset / Week: I've held off as long as I could. (old school steve prediction voice) take a mother f*cking guess.

The Irrelevant Picks:

* Titans (+3) 27, at Giants 20.
* at Patriots (-14) 63, Bills 3.
* at Ravens (-10 1/2) 41, Browns 0.
* at Bucs (+2 1/2) 6, Steelers 0.
* Bengals (-3) 31, at Panthers 20.
* Falcons (+4) 34, at Saints 30.
* at Vikings (-10 1/2) 16, Lions 0.
* Cowboys (+3) 34, at Texans 20.
* Redskins (-3 1/2) 24, at Rams 10.
* at Jaguars (+3) 31, Eagles 24.
* at Bears (+3) 38, Packers 31.

The AFC West Picks:

* at Seahawks (+5 1/2) 31, Chargers 14.
* at Cardinals (-4) 20, raiders 3.
* at broncos (+5 1/2) 31, Colts 28.

The Jets Prediction:

* at Dolphins (-2) 27, Jets 24. They own us.

The Chiefs Prediction:

Its simple folks. If we show up and do our jobs, we will win.

If Arrowhead is 75% as loud on Sunday as it was last Monday, the Chiefs win by 20. If there's one thing I believe in, its the fans of this team. We proved last Monday that the last three years won't hold us down. Just give us a reason to show up and root like holy hell for you, and we will.

Fellow readers, they've given us that reason. This team is undefeated. It sits alone in first place for the first time in four years. They've given you everything you could ask for so far.

So do your part. Like they've done theirs. Show up. Tailgate. Be loud. Make an impact. If you need a place to tailgate, you know where we're at. (If you don't, its Lot G, due north of the G30 sign. Or call me to save you a spot).

Let's fill that stadium with 70,000 plus Chiefs fans, and send the 49ers season spiraling out of control. And send ours spiraling two clear of the field entering the bye.

at Chiefs (+2 1/2) 44, 49ers 9. Dear God, what I wouldn't give to see DJ deliver an Anthony Davis moment on Sunday afternoon ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...