Thursday, September 9, 2010

week one predictions

So ... last weekend I saw a movie I'd been waiting to see for a while. OK, not "waiting to see", more like "too lazy to fire up the DVR and order it". But HBO has finally started airing "(500) Days of Summer", so I sat down last Saturday morning and watched it.

Then watched it again.

And absolutely loved it. At only 95 minutes, its a perfect length. Its a great blend of sarcastic humor, comedic setup, and sappy ending. If you have no clue what the movie is about, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Tom Hansen, a risk-averse, likeable, sarcastic dude stuck in a dead-end job that he hates (writing slogans for greeting cards), dreaming of pursuing his dream job (architecture), with no dating prospects in sight, who relies on his lovable yet also single buddies for his entertainment. He is who he is, because he's settled for comfortable, he's settled for reality over the possibility of what could be. As he notes early on: "People don't realize this, but loneliness is underrated". (Gee, I wonder who this vaguely sounds like ...)

Then one day, Summer (played by the lovely Zooey Deschanel) begins work at the company as an executive assistant. Summer is everything Tom isn't -- she's outgoing, carefree, unwilling to commit to anything. Doesn't take things too seriously. They begin a friendship, then eventually a relationship. Only, its not a relationship in the traditional sense. Because Summer states repeatedly that she doesn't believe in destiny, in fate, in true love, that those are just made up ideas from the greeting card industry to sell their product to suckers and dummies.

Tom, of course, falls deeper and deeper in love with her. While she keeps him close, but not too close. They finally break up ... then it appears they've made up ... before day 488 arrives. (One really cool thing about this movie -- the opening scene, is also the penultimate scene. You know, or at least think you know, how the movie will end before it begins, and yet still, you're drawn into it. Hang on, I'm going somewhere with this ...)

So day 488. Tom has had his epic meltdown, quits the greeting card business, and is finally pursuing a job as an architect. He heads downtown to the park he and Summer used to hang out in, climbs the hill to their bench ... and there she is.

Now married.

After some small talk, he tells her that she was right. That there is no such thing as true love, as destiny, as fate. That we're all just here because we're here, no more, no less. There is no purpose. And she stops him, and says "No, you weren't wrong. You were just wrong about me".

And as he presses further, asking how she could get married, abandon all the beliefs and feelings she'd had during their relationship, her response is just priceless. Hell, I'll just copy it verbatim:

Summer: "Well, you know, I guess it's cause I was sitting in a deli, and reading Dorian Gray, and a guy comes up to me and asks me about it and now ... he's my husband".
Tom: "Yeah? And so?"
Summer: "So? What if I'd gone to the movies? What if I'd gone somewhere else for lunch? What if I'd gotten there 10 minutes later? It was -- it was meant to be. And I just kept thinking, Tom was right".
Tom: "No".
Summer: "Yeah, I did (laughing). I did. It just wasn't me that you were right about. I just woke up one morning, and I knew".
Tom: "Knew what?"
Summer: "What I was never sure of with you".

There's still a few more scenes after that to bring the movie to a close, but for me, that one hit it.

Look it, I'm 33, soon to be 34. This summer has seen a lot of change enter my life, most of it for the good, don't get me wrong. I've become an uncle for the second and third time. One of my best friends is about to become a father for the first time any day now. My other best friend is less than six months away from marrying a great girl on the beaches of Jamaica. And I couldn't be happier for them. But there is a part of me that kind of looks at everyone else and thinks "what the f*ck is wrong with me".

Because again, I'm 33. Soon to be 34. I'm single. I have no kids that I know of (hang on, let me verify nobody from "The Maury Show" is on my voicemail ... and we're good. Whew). I've started a new job, but let's be honest, its just a continuation of my last twelve years. Its not my dream job. I'm not living in my dream town. (I'm pretty sure) I have yet to meet my dream girl.

But you know what? That's cool. Because eventually, my time will come. That's the point of "500 Days". Don't give up. Just because you think something is fate, or destiny, doesn't mean it is.

That, and eventually, Summer will give way to Autumn.

And now that "autumn" is almost here, its time to haul everyone's favorite public service out of retirement. Yup, here are my week one predictions.

Because eventually, I have to figure this thing out, right? Right? (crickets chirping). No really. Right?

Week One Upset of the Week:
raiders (+6) 20, at Titans 10.

Other Week One Non-Chiefs Predictions:
Dolphins 21, at Bills (+3) 20.
broncos (+2 1/2) 23, at Jaguars 20.
at Texans (+2) 33, Colts 30.
at Seahawks (+3) 13, 49ers 10.
at Saints (-5) 34, Vikings 13.
at Giants 27, Panthers (+7) 23.
Packers (-3) 45, at Eagles 10.
Falcons (-2) 41, at Steelers 20.
at Bears (-6) 31, Lions 10.
at Patriots (-4 1/2) 34, Bengals 20.
at Bucs (-2 1/2) 3, Browns 0.
Cardinals (-4 1/2) 27, at Rams 10.
at Redskins (+3) 19, Cowboys 17.
Ravens (+2 1/2) 24, at Jets 14.

The Chiefs Prediction:

Coming tomorrow.

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...