Friday, September 7, 2012

mixology 2012 game uno: the falcons

I've gotten way too many requests, so it's time to shake up the playlist to accommodate the masses.  Let's begin by going item by item through the playlist from the last preseason game, and after we punt a few items, add in the newbies, again, as per request ...

(listed in artist alphabetical order)

"Down" by 311.  Not even up for debate.
"Dancing Queen" by ABBA: stays, but it's in the "last four in" category.
"Move Along" by the All American Rejects: gonzo.
"Secret Lovers" by Atlantic Starr.  Stays, safely in the field.
"Airplanes, Part 2" by B.o.B.  Stays, although it's in the 11-12 seed range.
"Let It Be" by the Beatles.  Stays, without a doubt.
"Get It Like You Like It" by Ben Harper.  Safely in the field.
"Burn One Down" by Ben Harper.  As safe as safe can be.
"The More I Drink" by Blake Shelton.  As long as I draw breath, this one is in the field.
"One Love / People Get Ready" by Bob Marley.  As safe as safe can be.
"Humpin' Around" by Bobby Brown.  Wait, are you serious?  Of COURSE this song is in!
"Lido Shuffle" by Boz Skaggs.  Absolutely made the final cut.
"Alcohol" by Brad Paisley.  Barely ... but in.
"Ticks" by Brad Paisley.  Sorry, one of his had to get the boot.
"Halfway to Heaven" by Brantley Gilbert.  This one hurts to cut.
"One Toke Over the Line" by Brewer and Shipley.  Not a chance in hell this gets cut.
"The Rising" by Bruce Springsteen.  Over my dead, cold body.
"Mr. Tamborine Man" by the Byrds.  My tamborine man is ensuring said dead, cold body someday.
"Word Up" by Cameo.  I think I'd be disbarred from tailgating if I cut this one.
"Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas.  Safely in the field.
"Look Away" by Chicago.  Tradition dictates it's safely in.
"Piano Man", Colton Dixon cover.  Beyond safely in.
"Sweet Love" by the Commodores.  Makes the cut.
"Slow Hand" by Conway Twitty.  In "last team in" status ... but it's in.
"Out of Touch" by Hall and Oates.  For this game, easily in.
"Ants Marching" by DMB.  No question.
"The Best of What's Around" by DMB.  No question.
"Funny the Way It Is" by DMB.  The sacrificial lamb.
"You Never Even Called Me By My Name" by David Allan Coe.  A one seed.  Two at the worst.
"The Time of My Life" by David Cook.  A solid 8/9 seed.
"Am I The Only One" by Dierks Bentley.  No, you aren't.  You're safely in.
"Sideways" by Dierks Bentley.  A solid 8/9 seed.
"5-1-5-0" by Dierks Bentley.  Wow, Mr. Bentley might be the only thrice represented artist in the field.
"Down With the Sickness" by Disturbed.  The top overall seed.
"Soldier of Love" by Donny Osmond.  When the going gets rough?  I'm a soldier of love!
"Find Your Love" by Drake.  A scary matchup for a 7 seed in round one.
"Hungry Eyes" by Eric Carmen.  And he is ... safe!  Safe!  And the Indians win it!
"Make Me Lose Control" by Eric Carmen.  Oh my God, the Indians win it!
"Going Under" by Evanescence.  Arguably the toughest cut I have to make.
"I Don't Care" by Fall Out Boy.  A 13 seed if I ever saw one.
"Are You Ready For the Fallout" by Fastball.  A rock solid 5 seed.
"Float On" by the Floaters.  Hell yes it's in!  Let me take you to Loveland!
"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People.  Safely in.
"We Are Young" by Fun.  Meets the 49 inch height requirement to ride a roller coaster.
"Rock and Roll Part 2" by Gary Glitter.  As safe as safe can be.
"I Don't Want to Be" by Gavin DeGraw.  Not even on the table to be, uuh, tabled.
"In Love With a Girl" by Gavin DeGraw.  Sweating out Selection Sunday.
"Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips.  Beyond safely in the field.
"Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye.  Are you kidding me?  Ridiculously safe.
"Private Eyes" by Hall and Oates.  It's in.
"Beer 30" by Heath.  Not up for discussion.
"Lips of an Angel" by Hinder.  ("hoosiers" voice): "Coach stays."
"And We Danced" by the Hooters.  Huh huh, he said "hooters".
"Old Man and Me" by Hootie and the Blowfish.  Not the song getting cut by them.
"I Will Wait" by Hootie and the Blowfish.  Not the song getting cut by them.
"Goodbye Girl" by Hootie and the Blowfish.  You know what?  I can't do it.  They get three in.
"Anna Molly" by Incubus.  I only put ONE song by Incubus on Mixology?  Somebody slap me!
"Shout" by the Isley Brothers.  Not even up for debate.
"Tipsy" by J-KWON.  (chad johnson voice) "Child?  Please!"
"Flake" by Jack Johnson.  The dangerous 8/9 seed.
"Hicktown" by Jason Aldean.  Next.
"Tattoos On This Town" by Jason Aldean.  Next.
"The Remedy" by Jason Mraz.  Next!
"Stay With Me Tonight" by Jeffrey Osborne.  The 11 seed capable of reaching the Sweet 16.
"I Got a Name" by Jim Croce.  It's my damned ringtone!  Good luck getting rid of this classic.
"Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett.  Safely in.
"I Hate Myself for Loving You" by Joan Jett.  The roughest cut from the field.
"Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off" by Joe Nichols.  I refuse to face the wrath of Castro.
"North to Alaska" by Johnny Horton.  I refuse to face the wrath of Russ.
"Lookin for Love" by Johnny Lee.  Another tough exclusion.
"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey.  I refuse to face the wrath of "The Crush".
"Baby" by Justin Bieber.  I refuse to face the wrath of every 14 year old girl there on Sunday.
"Summer Love" by Justin Timberlake.  I'm adding a JT song to the list, so ...
"Dust In The Wind" by Kansas.  YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!  YOU'RE MY BOY!
"Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane.  Deleted only over my dead, cold body.
"Living in Fast Forward" by Kenny Chesney.  Not even in the discussion.
"Luckenback, Texas" by Kenny Chesney and Kid Rock.  Safely in the final field.
"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins.  Are you freaking kidding me?
"The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers.  Christ, I HATE this cut.
"Fresh" by Kool and the Gang.  Not up for discussion.
"Falling Away From Me" by Korn.  The dangerous 7 seed in the field.
"Jump" by Kris Kross.  Not on my watch as the Mixologist.
"Yeah!" by Lil' Jon, Ludacris, and Usher.  Yeah!
"Holiday Road" by Lindsey Buckingham.  You don't mess with greatness.
"One Step Closer" by Linkin Park.  Well, I'm adding a LP song, so ...
"Penny Lover" by Lionel Richie.  I refuse to face the wrath of Mona.
"Stuck on You" by Lionel Richie.  God bless it, I HATE this exclusion.
"Dancing on the Ceiling" by Lionel Richie.  I refuse to face the wrath of me.
"Shots" by LMFAO and Lil' Jon.  I refuse to face the wrath of Dusty.
"Country Girl" by Luke Bryan.  I need a country girl to shake it for me.
"All My Friends Say" by Luke Bryan.  A really, really tough benching.
"Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.  I refuse to face the wrath of Katie.
"Every Monday" by Marvelous 3.  (stevo giving a death stare to ANYONE who wants this song pulled ...)
"Sugar Buzz" by Marvelous 3.  No way, no how, no cut.
"Modern Love" by Matt Nathanson.  Not on the table for discussion.
"Come On Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson.  Safely in.
"Time to Pretend" by MGMT.  It's in.
"Electric Feel" by MGMT.  No question.
"Kids" by MGMT.  I refuse to face the wrath of Kellie.
"Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson.  No doubt about it.
"The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson.  Yup.
"Man In The Mirror" by Michael Jackson.  Ridiculously tough benching.
"Blame It On the Rain" by Milli Vanilli.  Blame away!
"Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus.  For the dancing alone, it stays.
"Float On" by Modest Mouse.  The dangerous 6 seed in the field.
"Daydream Believer" by the Monkees.  Over my cold, dead body.
"Bye Bye Bye" by NSYNC.  Is this a joke?
"Regulate" by Nate Dogg and Warren to the G.  Regulators?  MOUNT UP!
"Closer" by Ne-Yo.  Arguably the last at-large berth in the field.
"Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond.  We aren't ... Penn State.
"Mr. Telephone Man" by New Edition.  It was my favorite song as a kid.  It stays.
"Stand by Me" by Otis Redding.  Not a shot in hell it gets cut.
"Innocent" by Our Lady Peace.  Its my favorite song of all time.
"In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins.  For historical value, it stays.
"Home" by Phillip Phillips.  Not in the discussion.
"Boom" by POD.  Tradition mandates it stays.
"I Want It All" by Queen.  Tradition mandates it stays.
"Stand" by Rascal Flatts.  I refuse to risk the wrath of my weekly picks post.
"Summer Nights" by Rascal Flatts.  A questionable inclusion to begin with.
"Face Down" by the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.  Hey, anytime you can include a song about wife beating ...
"Endless Summer Nights" by Richard Marx.  Safely, safely in.
"Higher and Higher" by Rita Coolidge.  Over my dead, cold body.
"Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell.  I refuse to risk the wrath of Jeff or Paula.
"Start a Fire" by Ryan Star.  Too damned good to cut.
"I Dare You" by Shinedown.  God dammit, I hate this cut.  HATE it.
"Mrs. Robinson" by Simon and Garfunkle.  Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?
"The denver broncos?!?!" by the Simpsons.  The top overall seed, and it's not up for discussion.
"Breakaway", covered by Smash Cast.  It's better than Ms. Clarkson's original, in my opinion.
"Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg.  Rolling down the street, smoking endo, sipping on gin and juice!
"Faded" by soul Decision.  Oh hell to the mo fo yes, it survives the cut line!
"I Don't Remember Last Night" by Sunny Ledford.  Not a god damned thing!
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears.  The dangerous 3 seed.
"Fuck Her Gently" by Tenacious D.  I'm gonna screw you slowly!
"Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston.  Bernadette!
"Out of My Head" by Theory of a Deadman.  Safely in.
"Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not" by Thompson Square.  A really tough casualty.
"Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" by Toby Keith.  Uuh, yeah.  It's in.
"Save Me, San Francisco" by Train.  Is this a joke?  BEYOND safely in.
"Downfall" by TRUST Company.  It's a keeper.
"Beautiful Day" by U2.  It's definitely a keeper.
"We Are the World" by USA for Africa.  I still can name every singer before they appear.
"DJ Got Us Falling In Love Again" by Usher.  I'll rise above the "DJ" and keep it for now.
"Lil' Freak" by Usher.  (allard baird voice) No question, no question, it's in the field.
"Right Here, Right Now" by Van Halen.  Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!  I'm Dan Roberts ...
"Freedom" by Wham!  Hang on, I gotta listen to this before continuing on ...
"Toes" by Zac Brown Band.  I want my toes in the water and ass in the sand ...

I count 14 cuts, 134 survivals.  Which means I have room for at least 12 additions (depending on mp3 file size), and probably closer to 15.  Here's the new additions, again, in alphabetical order by artist, with the reason(s) for inclusion on Mixology 2012's Week One Playlist as applicable ...

* "Wherever You Will Go" by the Calling.  This is a Stevo selection.  Yeah, I criticize my own choices.
* "It's Not Over" by Daughtry.  Should have made the first cut.
* "Take It To the Limit" by the Eagles.  Definitely should have made the first cut.
* "Lose Yourself" by Eminem.  I refuse to risk the wrath of Gregg.
* "Private Eyes" by Hall and Oates.  Private eyes!  (clap clap!)  They're watching you!  (clap clap!)
* "Like I Love You" by Justin Timberlake.  How did I fail to include this in the first 27 songs, let alone ANY 27 song list, on the original Mixology listing?  I'm embarrassed at this disgrace.
* "Numb" by Linkin Park.  Another embarrasing, epic failure from Mixology 2012's initial playlist.  Great song.
* "Shining Star" by the Manhattans.  Honey you?  Are my shining star!  Don't you go away!
* "Heaven" by OAR.  You take the left!  I'll take the right!  I don't wanna go to heaven if I can't get in!
* "Nine In the Afternoon" by Panic! at the Disco.  It's good.  Deserves at least a one week tryout.
* "Never Knew Love Like This Before" by Stephanie Mills.  Epic late 70s classic.
* "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor.  BAM!  BAM BAM BAM!  BAM BAM BAM!  BAM BAM BAM!
* "I Like It, I Love It" by Tim McGraw.  THE indisputable "man I f*cked up leaving this off" song.

And finally, the last song to make the cut ...

* "Pink Houses" by John Mellencamp.  60 days to go folks.  60 days of misery to go!!!

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...