Tuesday, March 17, 2009

idol top 11: my song choices

According to the internet rumors, our guest mentor this week is ... Randy Travis! Ugh. Who will also be performing tomorrow night. (Thank God for bowling night).

11 singers remain for that one elusive crown. I'd have to say the bottom two right now are Scott and Megan. Anoop Doggy Dogg also needs to step it up this week, or he could get the axe.

Here's what I'd assign each remaining Idol hopeful on Grand Old Opry Week:

* Adam: this could be a really fun week for him. Coming off a great performance of "Black or White", he has a great opportunity here to separate himself from the riff raff and lock down a top 4 slot. I think the temptation will be to do something slow and restrained ... but I say not yet. Pick a rock / upbeat song. I'd go with "T R O U B L E" by Travis Tritt. What a spectacle that would be. Fun to imagine, hopefully even better to watch unfold.

* Alexis: another Idol hopeful with a chance to really solidify top 4 or 5 status tonight, and get some separation from the middling contenders. Showed tremendous stage presence last week, and an incredible voice throughout the competition, so I think she should take on something big. It worked for Jordin in season six ... so why not go back to the well again and pick "Broken Wing" by Martina McBride?

* Allison: this week should be a good opportunity for her, she should do very well with the southern country / rock style. I'd go with "Wasted" by Carrie Underwood. And not just because I will likely be, uuh, "wasted" watching this performance.

* Anoop Doggy Dogg: I fear this is the end of the line for him. I honestly don't see any way this week goes well for him. His best strategory actually might be to go the trainwreck route and hope to win the "vote for the worst" lifeline. I'd go with "Summertime Blues" by Alan Jackson and hope to survive to a better theme next week.

* Danny: Milwaukee's finest that doesn't have "Lakefront Brewery" as part of its name. I am getting sick of the milking of his dead wife though. We get it champ, she's gone. But this week, he can possibly milk it a little bit if he goes with a sappy love song, the type country is known for. In that vein, I'd go with "The Dance" by Garth Brooks. Good choice for him, I think.

* Kris: this kid's starting to grow on me. Two solid performances in a row of Michael Jackson songs is not easy to pull off. He could really do well this week with his relaxed performing style, and his comfort at playing the guitar. I'd go with "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash.

* Lil Rounds: speaking of performers NOT growing on me, the annoying overhyped nicknamed one, everyone! I'd actually like to see her do "Last Name" by Carrie Underwood or "She's In Love With the Boy" by Trisha Yearwood. Both would actually be good choices for her, a chance to lose herself in the song and show an ounce of passion or personality.

* Matt: the pony I'm pulling for. Or is it puppy? I'm not sure which animal racing season we're in right now. I think he needs to take a reach, a chance tonight, before he gets stereotyped as solely a soul / r&b singer. With the exception of the ridiculously overrated and overhyped Ruben Studdard, those one-trick ponies don't tend to last much past the top 6. I'd go with something by Brad Paisley, either "Mud on the Tires" or, if he really wants to bring some fun to the Idol stage, "Ticks".

* Megan: she has to knock this one out of the park or she's going home. In theory, she can do it. I'd pick "Here You Come Again" by Dolly Parton. It worked well for Carly last year, and they're very similar performers. Anything less than a knockout performance, and she's done. Go for the fences chica.

* Michael: ugh. Speaking of performers I don't give a crap about, everyone's favorite blue collar beauty. I'd go with Randy Travis for him, "Forever and Ever, Amen" being the obvious choice. Someone's going to do Randy, why not someone I don't care about.

* Scott: come on. He has to do Ronnie Milsap. He has to. Tell me "Smoky Mountain Rain" wouldn't work here. He HAS to do Ronnie Milsap. This isn't even up for debate.

That's what I'd pick. Should be a decent show tonight. Dare we dream, three decent, non-trainwreck Idol's in a row?

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...