Wednesday, September 29, 2010

a recap? really? its about time stevo!

"It works for me"
-- Sgt. Rick Hunter.

You had to love that game on Sunday if you're a Chiefs fan. Not only do the Chiefs move to 3-0 for the first time since 2003, not only do the Chiefs take a two game lead in the division for the first time since 2005, you got something that honestly, I hadn't felt inside that stadium since the donkeys game on Thanksgiving night 2006.

I knew there was no way in hell we were losing that game. Never once, for one second, did I worry at all. I said in tailgating that my goal was to "prop the feet up for the second half and get some sun". I might not have propped them up until late in the 3rd quarter, but anytime you can just sit back and treat a Chiefs regular season game like a Royals game or a Chiefs preseason game (aka I'm here for the sun, the company, and the booze, and not necessarily in that order), that game is a winner in my book.

Let's see if I can remember how to do this ...

* Left about 7am. I believe there were 10 of us on the bus ride out, including Tony and Lisa, who came in from Omaha. Also joining us for his first Chiefs game ever was our good buddy Brett. Sadly, none of the ten included Will, who wasn't feeling too hot.

* Also sadly, we realized about halfway to the stadium that we'd left the washer boxes in the garage, so there were no "aw, sh*t!" blasts out of any 5 year olds on Sunday. That's no bueno.

* We were first in line in the far left gate. No sooner did the bus get parked, than our good buddy Justin Robinson from Channel 9 moseyed on over to shoot the sh*t. Not only did Brett make his inaugural appearance at Arrowhead, he made his debut on Kansas City's morning news leader. Good for him.

* After helping myself to the breakfast of champions (bloody mary and cinnamon rolls), I stepped outside ... and it immediately started drizzling, into a steady light rain. I swear. Are we ever going to have a kick ass weather game from start to finish ever again?

* Still there: our good buddy Carl, albeit in a new pickup truck this year. I point this out, because about 8:10am, we're shooting the sh*t with the parking attendant, when Carl makes his patented "nobody's looking, in I go!" move. The parking attendant just kind of laughs. Katie then comes up with the inspired idea to ask "hey, can we head in early too". Parking lady was cool with it. Thus started the mad rush 20 minutes early. Unfortunately, the cone situation is every bit as ridiculous as with the Monday night game. Fortunately, we only took out one cone parking.

* The menu was pretty solid. Burgers, dogs, brats. Plenty of side dishes to enjoy, including the inspired idea of chili. I love me some chili dogs. And some bowls of chili.

* We had some new neighbors this week. Apparently no buses are allowed in the parking lots anymore, so the "KC Chiefs Kick Gr-ass" folks moved next to us into Monty's slot for the week. Our usual neighbors in the white bus were there too to the east, and the Lupercio bus to the east.

What wasn't cool ... was that some bus grabbed Castro and his boys' spot across the way. So ... yeah. We got to party next to Castro all pre and post game. On the bright side ... well, there was no bright side. He didn't have the usual handle of Cuervo. Hopefully he'll remember that next time.

* Speaking of Bizarro World ... no Gregg on Sunday. With good reason -- his first kid was born late Friday night. So congrats to him on the happy news. As a teacher would note, that's an "excused absense".

* Also not there: Dusty and Kellie. Who spent their Chiefs gameday moving. (carlito voice) that's not cool, tito. Its a Chiefs gameday! You can move anytime! You get to witness a 20 plus point Chiefs victory only once every 5 years anymore! (And yes, this was the first 20 plus point Chiefs victory since we destroyed the Rams 37-14 midway through 2006. (spanish bumblebee voice) ay yay yay! no me gusta!!!))

* Headed in about 11:15am. Probably a good thing I wasn't drinking much, because Gregg's mom and dad were there. Had a wonderful 20 minute conversation with them. I couldn't be happier for the newest grandma and grandpa.

* The Bill Grigsby pregame honor was cool. But it sucked to see our Ol' Pardner in a wheelchair. Still, it was great to see this current regime (for once) recognize that there was greatness in this town, and on this team, before they arrived 20 months ago.

* Your national anthem was performed by The Museum. I gotta say, it was pretty damned good.

* Not good? Matt Cassel in the first half. Holy God. There were at least 4 or 5 moments when I literally just shook my head in disgust, and I know I mouthed "holy f*cking Jesus" at least twice at his "pass attempts", including one beauty that sailed 20 yards over D Bowe's head on the sideline. On a 6 yard out pattern.

* I blame myself for Succup's miss from 38. I didn't hit my knees, as per section 132 tradition. I did hit 'em for the second try. Good!

* Dexter McCluster is a freak of speed. I have no idea how the hell he scored on a simple little swing pass from 31 yards out. Just unreal how quick that dude is.

* The D Bowe touchdown was sweet. But left unsaid on either FOX broadcast (be it 101 or the television network) is that the Chiefs ran that play at least twice in the first half, McCluster taking the handoff into a jumbo formation. Perfectly set up.

* Also perfect? Cassel's throw. Also perfect? The reaction, Cassel picking up D Bowe and carrying him halfway to the sidelines. This thing is coming together folks. Unlike 2006, this isn't the last gasp of an era, raging against the clock, trying desperately to hold off the hands of time. This is the beginning of an era.

* Moeaki's touchdown grab. Holy God. As I texted, "tony what? gonzalez who? moeaki!" That was Tony Gonzalez-esque.

* I kept saying the whole second half "these guys don't have a touchdown in them". I was :03 away from nailing that one.

* So the Chiefs sit at 3-0, two clear of the division. But it's not just that, that has me excited. It's not even the fact that everyone is saying "nobody saw this coming!", when all you have to do is click on my 2010 season predictions, where I predicted every effing game, and see I had the Chiefs at 3-0 at the bye.

What has me fired up, is what the rest of the division is facing the next few weeks. denver travels to Tennessee and Baltimore the next two weeks. Pencil them in for 1-4, with the Jets coming to fake mile high after that? oakland hosts Houston and San Diego. Pencil them in at 1-4?

And San Diego, yes, they go vs Arizona / at oakland the next two weeks, and should get to 3-2 ... but Norv Turner is capable of losing any game. And while we have 14 games in common (we have the exact same home / road split of non-divisional foes as San Diego) ... their two non-common games are vs Patriots and at Bengals (on a Monday night in December to boot). Our two non-common games are at Browns (already won), and vs Bills.

No matter what happens in the next two games, the Chiefs are guaranteed to be in first place when they return to Arrowhead on October 24th against a Jaguars team that is a miracle lightning-strike delay away from being 0-3 right now. And after the Jags come Buffalo at home and oakland on the road, where we haven't lost since before Larry Johnson was drafted.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself ... but look at our remaining schedule. Look at how this team is getting better every week. And will continue to do so, as the young players get more NFL-savvy. If Berry, Dex, Moeaki and Arenas are performing this week in week three, how good are they going to be come late November?

Sunday, for the first time in a long time, every Chiefs fan should have left that stadium with a reasonable expectation that this is a playoff squad. And every Chiefs fan should have left that stadium with the knowledge that this is a force on the rise. Happy days are here again guys (and gals). Enjoy it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I had to crack up at you completely butchering the Omaha people's names: Jeff & Paula. You were close, though. :)

Katie

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...