Thursday, December 23, 2010

week 16: one down, six to go ...

I would like to believe, that the moment I chose to walk out today, was rock bottom. For my own sanity, I have to believe, that Chris Johnson's 66 yard touchdown run and ensuing celebration, was rock bottom.

To recap: its 27-3 Titans. Chris Johnson takes a simple handoff ... and is gone. Down the Titans sideline. He leap dives into the endzone ... then heads over to the TD Pack Band, and starts playing Patti DiParto-Livergood's bongo drums like a kid turned loose in a recording studio.

While noone affiliated with the Chiefs organization does a damned thing about it.

He played OUR band's drums, in OUR house, in the ultimate act of humiliation ... and nobody on our sideline gave enough of a damn to rush the field and pound his ass into a coma.

Nobody with the Chiefs did anything. Other than stand around and watch.

(steve sighing in disgust). At that point, I decided, if the paid professionals don't give a sh*t, why should I. So off to the bus I went. But I'll say this: for all the crap DT and Wayne Simmons and other defenders took for the "Monday Night Meltdown" 10 years ago come November 16th ... at least they had enough pride to not allow the ultimate humiliation in their house to go unchallenged. Our roster is so devoid of pride, of respect, of anything even approaching a love for what the Red and Gold stands for ... that we let a mother f*cking rookie play the TD Pack Band's bongo drums.

And nobody did a damned thing about it.

(steve sighing in disgust) …

-- me, opening the recap of the last time the Titans visited Arrowhead Stadium.
-----------------------

The Non-Chiefs Predictions:

* at Steelers 24, Panthers (+15) 14.
* Cowboys (-7) 31, at Cardinals 13.
* Lions (+3 ½) 14, at Dolphins 10.
* 49ers (+1) 41, at Rams 13.
* at Bears (pk) 31, Jets 13.
* Patriots 24, at Bills (+8) 20.
* at Jaguars (-7) 63, Redskins 2.
* Ravens 17, at Browns (+3 ½) 16.
* at raiders (+3) 31, Colts 20.
* at broncos (+3) 45, Texans 41.
* at Bucs (-6) 13, Seahawks 3.
* at Packers (-3) 34, Giants 20.
* at Eagles 34, Vikings (+15) 24.
* at Falcons (-2 ½) 21, Saints 17.

The Only Other Game of Importance to Chiefs Fans:

* Chargers (-8) 34, at Bengals 24.

The Chiefs Prediction:

There have been days when I have left Arrowhead angrier than I did that unseasonably warm late October afternoon two years ago, after Chris Johnson basically lifted his leg and took a gigantic whiz on the Red and Gold.

The Ravens game in 2006, that’s certainly the angriest I’ve been in a long time. I was so angry after that game, that multiple people offered me a joint just to calm down afterwards. I also nearly broke my foot by kicking the lightpole so much afterwards. (Note: when random strangers see you cursing out loud and kicking lightpoles, and offer you weed to calm down … you might be a little too into the game. Might be. Jury’s out on that one).

The donkeys loss in 2002, I literally locked myself in my room and drank for two straight days. I was definitely angrier those two days, losing games that (should have) or (definitely did) cost us a playoff berth.

But the most embarrassed I’ve ever been, was after that Titans game. Like it wasn’t bad enough a team rolled in here, dropped nearly 500 yards of offense on us, and we couldn’t tackle their guys trying to run out the clock. (Johnson’s run wasn’t a run-up-the-score deal, it was a “yes, Virginia, the Chiefs defense really couldn’t tackle a quadrapelic” deal).

Afterwards, all the national media showed Johnson’s classless show-up move, and all had a good chuckle at him “having fun”. To me, what Chris Johnson did, was no more “fun” than Terrell Owens spiking the ball on the Star was to Cowboys fans. (And at least Emmitt Smith immediately ran out and beat TO into a bloody pulp when he pulled that classless stunt). What Johnson did was worse than anything that horse’s ass shannon sharpe pulled on the Monday Night Meltdown. Because at least DT fought back.

What we witnessed two years ago, I truly believe, was rock bottom. I have to believe that was the day that Clark Hunt decided, in the words of Rage Against the Machine, “f*ck it, cut the cord” on the Peterson regime. It’s one thing to lose because you have no talent. It’s another thing to lose because you have no heart, because you have no pride, because you just don’t give a sh*t.

If there’s one thing not even I could question about last year’s rough season, it was the heart, the passion, of the architects putting this thing together. I may have dubbed Todd Haley an “Asshat” for some of his decision making, but the pride, the passion, the desire to win, was evident from day one. You could see it in the way Scott Pioli drafted, traded, and signed players. He didn’t want stats guys, guys who look good in a boxscore. He wanted guys who understand what an honor, what an incredible honor, wearing the Red and Gold is. And this year, you’re seeing it pay off.

My favorite moment from last Sunday, unquestionably, was when Matt Cassel took the snap, nursing a touchdown lead in the second half, and ran a bootleg off left tackle, scrambling and diving for a first down … and then standing up, and spiking the ball to the turf, signaled “first down!” As the others watching the game with me can attest, my reaction was simple … and predictable:

(everyone else) (cheering, clapping, high fiving)
(steve) (fighting back tears)
(steve) (huge smile on face)
(steve) (rapid fire fist pumping both hands)
(everyone else) (staring at steve)
(steve) (to noone in particular) nice play matthew. nice play.
(steve) (walks over, takes huge gulp of vodka and grape juice concoction)

In that one play, everything that I want in this team was put on display. (john madden voice) Here’s a guy, in Matt Cassel, who was in such pain, that simply turning his body into the proper throwing motion sent intense pain up his spine. Here’s a guy who literally was risking his career to be out there last week. And what does he do, in a critical “keep the drive alive” moment? He lays it all out there, achieves what he set out to do, and emphatically lets his team and his fans know what he thinks about it. And not in a “hey, look at me, I’m awesome with a capital A” kind of way. But a “f*ck you Rams, we’re kicking your ass today!” kind of way. Yeah, I totally dug it.

And so, come Sunday, the Chiefs can take another step forward to this most improbable of divisional championships. For that, we can all be thankful in this most blessed of seasons. What struck me as odd, however … is that this game was nearly blacked out.

Let me be clear – I’m glad that someone stepped up and made this game available locally. I truly am. I get that there are thousands of Chiefs fans that are struggling. I get that choosing between a Chiefs game or the electric bill, or a gift for the kid, you pay the bill or buy the Thomas the Train interactive book / game (my special little guy is gonna love that thing) every time.

Having said that … I kind of wanted this game to be blacked out. Because honestly, the reason I am so digging this season, the reason I so look forward to kickoff each Sunday … well, is because we don’t suck ass anymore. But in all honesty? I totally dig that there’s only 50,000 or so out there every Sunday. Because the core has been identified. We now know who amongst the season ticket base from the last 15-20 years is truly in it for thick or thin. And part of me, selfishly, wanted to win this game in front of just us, the die-hardiest of the die-hards. I wanted this all to ourselves, to those of us who kept shelling out our $850 every February, who kept paying our $250 to park, who kept paying $10 for a beer, kept bundling up to stand outside for 7 hours in 25 degree temperatures for a 3-11 team, I wanted US to have this win all to ourselves. I totally wanted to win this division in front of US.

But if a couple million more people want to crash the party … hell, its Chrismukkah. Let ‘em.

I hope you can come out on Sunday. It’s not going to be any colder outside than it is right now, and there won’t be any wind to speak of. The tailgating menu is simple: we’re throwing some burgers and dogs on the grill, and having some cheeseburger soup and assorted adult beverages.

And come high noon, we’ll be in our seats, ready to once again root like holy hell for the only thing in this city worth rooting like holy hell for. I hope you will be there to lend your voice, your hands, your support, to root for this lovable, completely … (steve choking up) … godd*mmit, I love this team! I freaking LOVE this team! Just … show up Sunday if you can. You won’t regret it.

But if you can’t … that’s cool too. Just pull a Steve during a road game, and annoy the crap out of your watching party by cheering as loudly as I do inside that stadium. (Or, if you’re lucky, you’ll be at a watching party where, like the ones I’m usually at, you get drowned out by everyone else).

Saturday, is all about Chrismukkah. Hug the ones you love. Forgive the ones you hate. Be grateful for what you have, and hopeful for what you can achieve. Keep those less lucky than we are in your thoughts and prayers at Midnight Mass (especially my seat-mate and long-time Chiefs fan Greg, who has a very long road to recovery still in front of him. I’ll definitely light a candle for him Friday night).

But Sunday? Sunday is about re-establishing the pride, the magic, of Arrowhead from the team that destroyed whatever remained of it two years ago. At Chiefs (-5) 34, Titans 3. Setting up the biggest game Arrowhead has hosted in a long, long, long, long time next Sunday. (Hopefully in prime time …)

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...