Friday, April 20, 2018

ranking the chiefs tailgates for 2018 ...

"Got a text from you --
Is it really true?
All the stuff we did last night?

We shut down the bars,
Danced on top of cars --
Asked some girl if she'd be my wife.

Oh, and I got pictures
That I don't remember taking
That are so bad!

And oh, had to break
Into my own damned apartment --
How 'bout that?

They say the best?
Always come from the worst,
Baby ...

But oh!  It was crazy!
And oh!  It was amazing!
We blew all the money,
And crashed in your Mercedes!

We both got numbers,
But didn't get the names --
And the whole damned party?
Lost power!

It was?
It was?
It was?
Our finest hour!!!!! ..."


--------------------

Now that I've looked at the schedule for the Chiefs (because face it -- the games are the 1A reason to pay thousands of dollars to support this team), let's look at the 1B reason to be a fan of this club, and that is the homegating and tailgating.

Every year, I rank in reverse order from 20 to 1, which homegate / tailgate I am most anticipating.  (Note: tailgates (almost) always rank higher than homegates.)

So, since I have nothing better to do ... let's do this.

--------------------


For the record, as of now, I am planning on being in attendance at twelve Chiefs games: both preseason home games * , all eight regular season home games, as well as road trips to Seattle (what my tailgating group decided months ago we'd do as our annual roadie) ... and oakland.  

(Note: I'm going to that one with (at least) five raider fans that are friends.  What could POSSIBLY go wrong!)

I also am going to try to make the Rams game in Mexico City work ** .  And as always, driveable roadies are always in play at the last minute.  (This year there's only two: at those people, Week Four, on a Monday Night *** ... and at the Bears, Preseason Week Three.  That one is tempting.  Really, really tempting.)

Also, factors other than the opponent affect the tailgate rankings.  Those factors include (a) probable weather, (b) probable attendees, (c) kickoff time, (d) location of the homegate / tailgate, and (e) availability of a quality tailgating environment.  And yes, (e) matters.  There's a reason why tailgating at NRG Reliant is a f*cking blast, and tailgating at Paul Brown is non-existent.

With that said, here we go.

--------------------

(*: the dream died.  They're both on Thursdays, per chiefs.com.  Odds are I'll attend at least a half of each ... but still.)

(**: my boss is a STM as well.  She's going to Mexico.  I'm 50/50 ... because making three straight roadies in the six glorious weeks known as "Chrismukkah Season" is damned costly.  To say nothing of the family wedding I have to attend the last weekend in October ... and don't get me started again, on how furious I am, that "The Day I Live For" is slated for a noon kickoff on that Sunday.  Especially since FOX has the National Window that day, so moving back to 3:25 is a non-starter.)

(***: awesome note by Joel Thorman at AP today: there's a damned good probability Patrick Mahomes "Of The Chiefs" will have more wins inside the eighth layer of hell itself (2) than inside Arrowhead (1), when the Chiefs welcome the Jaguars Week Five.)

--------------------

20. at Falcons (Friday, 8/17, 6pm CT).

Type: Homegate.

Main Homegating Course: some kind of "dirty bird" (aka chicken).

Reason(s) for Ranking: I suppose if it is 95 and cloudless, the flat screen will be brought poolside to start the weekend.  But odds I pay attention after the first series, rather than commence "Friday Night Volleyball"?  Slim and none, and none is a huge favorite.

19. at Bears (Saturday, 8/25, noon).

Type: Homegate ... for now.

Main Homegating Course: Bear Brats.  

Reason(s) for Ranking:  My second cousins on my dad's side are Bears STM's.  (Or whatever the Bears refer to them as.)  He's already asked if I'm coming up for the only preseason game worth watching.  I'm considering it ... but honestly, this one probably won't be decided until a week or so before kickoff ... and even if we make the trip up, there won't be much of a tailgate.

And if I don't head up, I'll be floating in the pool, watching this one.  Which, actually, is probably preferable to paying to attend preseason football.

18. vs Packers (Thursday, 8/30, 7:30pm).

Type: Tailgate ... sort of.

Main Tailgating Course: whatever strikes my fancy on the menu at Score's.

Reason(s) for Ranking: if it's an awesome weather day, I might blow off a half day and head out early for a few beers in our tailgating spot with anyone who wants to join me.  Odds are though, Score for dinner and drink, then take in a half of the game.

17. vs Texans (Thursday, 8/9, 7:30pm).

Type: See Numero Eighteen.

Main Tailgating Course: see Numero Eighteen.

Reason(s) for Ranking: see Numero Eighteen.

16. at Browns (Sunday, 11/4, noon CT).

Type: Homegate.

Main Homegating Course: no clue at this point.  Might have to consult my friend Cooksey for some ideas ... because what the hell do you do with Brown?  Hash browns?  Ooh, that's an idea: corned beef hash browns for a breakfast themed tailgate!  That's your leader in the clubhouse six months out.

Reason(s) for Ranking: no game on the regular season schedule does less for me.  Also, this is when being able to watch on The Deck starts to get dicey.  Homegating is much funner on The Deck, than it is indoors.  #beermachine

15. vs "Super" Chargers (Thursday, 12/13, 7:20pm CT).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: as always: Charger Chicken.  (And as always, the best one is always mine.  I'm telling you, Velvet Devil shiraz is one hell of a marinade, for a chicken boob.  (And one gigantic waste of money, given the cost of a typical bottle, if I'm being honest ... but again -- shiraz chicken boob.  #worthit .)

Reason(s) for Ranking: (stevo sighing in disgust yet again) why?  Why, NFL schedule dudes and dudettes, do you keep scheduling prime time games at Arrowhead in December?  Why?  I HATE the cold!  I get it from a television perspective (because Arrowhead does look awesome in prime time) but for the love of Christ, PLEASE!  Stop doing this to me us!

14. at Rams (Monday, 11/19, 7:15pm CT).

Type: Homegate ... for now.

Main Homegating Course: something Mexican.  Oh -- and Rams Ritas.

Reason(s) for Ranking: probably this will be the first indoor homegate.  Which means the cold is back.  Still, from this point forward, I have no true complaints.

13. at Patriots (Sunday, 10/14, 7:20pm CT).

Type: Homegate.

Main Homegating Course: Patriot Melts. 

Reason(s) for Ranking: it's the third highest rated for games there is no chance I will attend.  That's nothing to complain about.  Also, I am really intrigued by this game ... which I genuinely believe, eight months out, might be an AFC Championship Game preview.  I'm that high on the "Patty (Melts)" led Chiefs, to be brutally honest.  (That, or I'm just high.  It's 420 Day.  Bet carefully on that wager ...)

12. at Steelers (Sunday, 9/16, noon CT).

Type: Homegate.

Main Homegating Course: Steeler Steaks, Suds, & Spuds.  

Reason(s) for Ranking: there's only one game there's no chance I'll attend ranked higher.  That ... and let's face it, we're getting rolled 31-14, and the Beer Machine is going to be used and abused early and often on The Deck for this homegate.

11. at "Super" Chargers (Sunday, 9/9, 3:05pm CT).

Type: Homegate.  

Main Homegating Course: Take a guess.  (Charger Chicken should be your guess.)

Reason(s) for Ranking: here's to hoping this is a repeat of the 2013 opener ... when it was almost 100 degrees, and we moved the flat screen poolside, so we could watch our team cruise to a twenty plus victory in the water.

10. at those people (Monday, 10/8, 7:15pm CT).
Type: Homegate ... for now.

Main Homegating Course: bronco burgers.

Reason(s) for Ranking: odds are I won't be attending.  And if that is the case, damn, it's gonna be hard to get up and make my 8am reporting time the following day ... because there is only one game that usually drives me to drink more than the roadie at those people.  And that is the home game against those people.

9. at Seahawks (Sunday, 12/23, 7:20pm CT).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: whatever Captain Verne and Kenny catch.

Reason(s) for Ranking: in all likelihood we'll be staying in beautiful Astoria, Oregon for most of this road trip, as some friend of a friend named Kenny and his brother Captain Verne have already reached out to see if we're coming.  Then make the couple hour drive to Seattle for the game, and fly home from Seattle on Monday.  Having said that ... freshly caught seafood.  Sweet Jesus.  I might gain twenty pounds on this road trip, and I'm not joking about that **** .

(****: my mom noted at Easter that I've put on some pounds lately.  Which is true: I weighed about 155 at this time last year, and I weighed in at 171 the other day.  Even my beer gut from my late 20s / early 30s is beginning to show again.  And I don't drink beer all that much.  It's funny how when you remove every stress / trigger to drink from your life, you regain a healthy appetite.)

8. vs Ravens (Sunday, 12/9, noon CT).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: Rich and Rare Raven.  (We always do a fish fry for the Ravens.)
Reason(s) for Ranking: I'm guessing it will be cold.  Again: I HATE the cold.  (Which will seem like utter hypocrisy when we get to number one, but still.  I HATE the cold.)

7. vs "Super" Cardinals (Sunday, 11/11, noon CT).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: open to suggestions.

Reason(s) for Ranking: the only reason it's this high, is because the Chiefs will go 28 days away from Arrowhead after this one.  Early November is dicey for the weather.  I just hope and pray it's as nice as it was the last time the "Super" Cardinals were here eight years ago.

6. vs Bengals (Sunday, 10/21, noon CT).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: Bengal Bowls.  (Chilis / Soups).

Reason(s) for Ranking: should be a fun day.  

5. vs those people (Sunday, 10/28, noon CT).

Type: Tailgate ... hopefully.

Main Tailgating Course: bronco burgers.

Reason(s) for Ranking: every year this is a top two, if not the top, tailgate for me.  I'm just terrified I'm going to miss damned near the entire tailgate trying to get back from San Antonio that Sunday morning.  

4. at raiders (Sunday, 12/2, 3:05pm CT).

Type: Tailgate ... of some sort.

Main Tailgating Course: me?  (rimshot!)

Reason(s) for Ranking: me in the Black Hole.  (Pause).  Start praying now.  (Pause).  What?  (Pause).  Well, it wouldn't rank first on my list, but yes, that would be one helluva way to go ...

3. vs Jaguars (Sunday, 10/7, noon CT).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: open to suggestions.  Because what goes with Jaguar?

Reason(s) for Ranking: odds are it's the last rock solid weather tailgate.  Is it asking too much for 80ish and sunny, for one last time in 2018, weather gods?

2. vs 49ers (Sunday, 9/23, noon CT).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: not a clue.

Reason(s) for Ranking: home opener!  What else needs to be said?  Home!  Freaking!  Opener!  And frankly, this is the home game I'm most looking forward to on the field.  I can't wait to see Jimmy G and Patty M (coach don fambrough voice) throw down, show down, hoe down, on the field.  I can't wait to see "son of shanarat" and "Fat" Andy scheme against each other.  (Note: this is going to be one epically coached offensive game, between two of the brightest offensive minds in the game.  How this game did not wind up in prime time, I have no idea.  And please -- spare me the "they're both unproven quarterbacks" bullsh*t.  We're getting Jets at Browns Week Three in Prime Time solely and only because of the unproven quarterbacks they're each about to draft ***** .)
So, so ready for this day, uuh, already.

(*****: my preference for my 1B team, in order: (1) Josh Rosen, (2) Baker Mayfield, (3) trade the pick yet again.  I want no part of Josh Allen or Sam Darnold.  And the third slot is too high to take Mason Rudolph (who I really like, and think will be a solid pro in (hopefully) New Orleans and (not) New England) or Lamar Jackson (who just feels like an Arizona "Super" Cardinal at 15 at this point, doesn't he?)  Anyway, I really like Josh Rosen.  And Baker Mayfield.  Pick either of them and I'm happy, Jets.)

Which leaves just one ... 

1. vs raiders (Sunday, 12/30, noon CT ... for now).

Type: Tailgate.

Main Tailgating Course: raider ribs.

Reason(s) for Ranking: for starters, this is getting moved back to at least 3:25pm ... if not Sunday Night, come Week Seventeen.  

Secondly, this ensures that for the second time in four years, I won't be spending New Year's Eve in my traditional position on the couch, watching the ghost of Strokey Dick Clark (more commonly known as Ryan Seacrest), while consuming a few bottles of champagne.  Because with all of raider nation north descending south for this one, it means one hell of a NYE party at The Second Parents.

But mostly, because as much as I hate the cold (and godd*mn, do I f*cking hate it) ... I like closing at home.  Because of purely selfish reasons.  

My date of birth is January 3rd.  In 2019 (like 2018) it will fall squarely in the center of the week between the regular season finish, and the Wild Card games.  But on those years when January 3rd is in play for a game ****** , it's always cool to play at home on "your day" ... or as damned close to it as possible.

(******: gun to my head, my favorite Chiefs tailgate ever was my 39th birthday -- 1/3/16.  Which kicked off one epic week of Chiefs fandom and football.  The others in my top five would probably be Colts playoff game in 2003 (the last one of football as I -- and most of you -- had always known it to be), those people Thanksgiving Day 2006 (we won Tailgaters of the Game that day), "Super" Chargers 2011 (one epic Halloween), and the raiders in 2016 ("shot skis").  But I'm willing to consider about twenty seven others ...)

And also, because Week Seventeen is the end of another year of life.  It gives you the chance to reflect, to be grateful for what you did right (and who did right by you), and to seek out those you didn't do right by (and those who didn't do right by you, to seek you out).  

So here's to the season to come.  I'm more amped for this season than usual because, well, #mahomesofthechiefs and #mahomesofthebrave .  But mostly I'm amped because for the first time since I was 6, my team is wagering everything on who they think the best quarterback in the NFL is going to be.

They're not taking on someone else's flotsam, jetsum, and refuse.  

They're pushing every damned chip into the center of the table, on their guy.

This is gonna be fun ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...