Tuesday, September 1, 2009

my big xii predictions

So I'm sitting here surfing the net, hitting up Facebook, having an IM chat with a buddy, and I start hearing this horrid coughing, almost puking sound, coming from across the hall.

And then a certain smell drifts in through the screen door on the patio, and I can't help but laugh. Poor guy. I'm guessing he's not a "grizzled veteran" when it comes to smoking a certain tobacco like product. Actually, he sounds like me after the first good toke. Scary stuff.

But, the cough, the smell, its a sign! Its a motivation! As Verne Lundquist would say, its "wonderful!" Which means its time to knock out some season predictions. And since I'm usually accused of being high when I make them, this seems like as good a time as any!

(Although to be fair ... that accusation has some credibility to it ...)

Here's my rather lengthy thoughts on the Big XII Season to Be!

Best team: Texas. I'm going to go out on a limb with this next statement. This is the best Texas team of my lifetime. If they don't go 11-1 at the absolute worst, I'll be really stunned. Odd historical fact numero uno! The Rose Bowl has hosted the BCS Title game three times. The first two times, a Big XII team played for the title. Nebraska got rolled by Miami in 2001. And UT won arguably the greatest college game of the decade, over USC in 2005.

Having said that, Texas is not my pick to reach the Rose Bowl this year ...

Best coach: Bob Stoops, Oklahoma. Sure, he's lost about 176 BCS games in a row, including 3 straight BCS Title game defeats. But he keeps getting there, doesn't he? That's gotta count for something. Or it does in my book anyways.

Best player: Sam Bradford, Oklahoma. I was tempted to go with Baylor QB Robert Griffin, especially when you see my thoughts on OU when I get to running the schedules. But Bradford is 2 for 2 at winning the division and the conference. On field results have to count for something, I think.

Most Valuable player: Todd Reesing, Kansas. Again, I was very tempted to go with Griffith, or Bradford, or Colt McCoy of Texas. But name me any other player whose loss the school could not overcome. Yes, KU has a competent "backup" in student section favorite Kerry Meier ... but moving Meier from WR to QB would paralyze the offense. And Reesing has presided over the only "sustained" period of success in school history (the 2007 Orange Bowl team, the 2008 Insight Bowl team. The only back-to-back bowl teams in school history). He's 20-6 the last two years as a starter. At Kansas! 20-6 at Kansas! Odd historical fact numero dos! Chase Daniel's record over that same time frame? 20-6.

Worst team: Texas A&M. I feel bad for Mike Sherman, he deserves better than the dung pile Dennis Franchione left him. If A&M gives Sherman five years, he'll have A&M back in the top 2-3 of the South every year. I suspect, however, another bowl-less losing season will lead Aggie booster to buy him out.

Worst coach: Dan Hawkins, Colorado. Its not that I think he's a bad coach; he's not as far as I know. But name me someone who's done less with more than Hawkins. Gary Barnett did not leave the cupboard bare, he was fired after back-to-back Big XII Title Game appearances for crying out loud. One bowl game in three years, at Colorado, is pathetic. The fact that it will be a struggle to make that two for four could spell his doom.

Most Overrated player: Jordan Shipley, Texas. White wide receiver at Texas. Woo? Yeah he does some nice things, but really? The hype on this guy drives me loopy. (Wait, that could be the smoke still billowing in from the patio doing that ...) Great, he's Colt McCoy's roommate. Wonderful, they like to go fishing and share a beer or three on the boat. Hell's bells, I've got a picture up in the apartment of me shaking hands with the late, great Buck O'Neil. Does that mean I can hit a 95 mph fastball? I've played blackjack with the great Joey Fatone before, does that mean I can dance? (Wait, don't answer that). Shipley's a nice guy and a nice player. He's not an all-conference, all-world stud. At least on the football field.

Best non-con games: in reverse order, 5 to 1:

5: Kansas State at UCLA, September 19. This one might be the difference between 5-7 and bowl eligible for both teams. And anytime you get a prime time game at the Rose Bowl, the greatest venue for football ever built, I can find a reason to tune in.

4. Houston at Oklahoma State, September 12. As Lee Corso would say, "not so fast my friend!" This is a HUGE upset alert for the Cowboys. Especially if game #3 in these rankings is a blowout either way.

3. Georgia at Oklahoma State, September 5. What a way to start the season! As Mike Patrick would say, "holy cow!" Give the Cowboys credit: they schedule an SEC power and CUSA's best team (and sleeper team for the BCS) to open the season.

2. Nebraska at Virginia Tech, September 19. Last year's game in Lincoln was a classic, a 35-30 Tech win that came down to the final few plays from scrimmage. This year's could be epic.

1. BYU vs Oklahoma, September 5 (in Dallas). I've already said I think OU is the most overrated team in America. I think they're in for a long, tough night on Saturday. I do think they'll survive a shootout. But this game will be anything but easy.

Best conference games: in reverse order, 5 to 1:

5. Nebraska at Kansas, Saturday November 14. In all likelihood, a winner take all showdown for the Big XII North championship. Home team has won the last five in this series, after Kansas (literally) had not beaten Nebraska in my lifetime prior to the 2005 upset.

4. Oklahoma at Nebraska, Saturday November 7. Its an outrage that these two teams no longer play annually the day after Thanksgiving. Its an absolute outrage. If Michigan and Ohio State can still be scheduled every year, so can this classic.

3. Texas vs Oklahoma, Saturday October 17 (in Dallas). Yes, its only rated number three on my list. I love how everyone is calling this the "game of the year" in preseason. Really guys? This won't even be the biggest game in the South division this year. OU is primed for a relative fall. They have NO offensive line to speak of. None. Ask Chiefs fans what happens when you can't protect your quarterback. I say "relative fall" because I still see OU winning 9 games this year. But that'll be offset by 4 losses. For Texas, this is the beginning of the three game stretch that defines the season. Go 3-0, and you're going to Pasadena. Anything less, you probably won't even make it to Houston for the Big XII Title Game.

2. Texas at Missouri, Saturday October 24. I think October 24th is THE key day in the conference schedule. I think its the day OU's title hopes die in Lawrence. Its a huge upset alert for the Cowboys when they travel to Baylor. But this one, this is THE very definition of a "trap game". Fresh off a bitter rivalry game against OU, and looking forward next week to the number one conference game on this list. And having to play in between in a nightmare of a place to play, against a weakened but still very formidable Mizzou squad that has played for the Big XII Title the last two years, and is still good enough to get back there again. This is the one that would scare me if I was a Texas fan. They'll beat OU for the 4th time in 5 years, and I think rather easily. Number one on this list, you can get fired up for. But this one ... you heard it here first. Trap game. Big time.

1. Texas at Oklahoma State, Saturday October 31. I fully anticipate both teams entering this unbeaten. It would not shock me in the least if this is 1-2 on Halloween night (there's no way ABC isn't grabbing this one for the prime time broadcast). I'm higher on Oklahoma State than most folks, probably because I think OU (and Texas Tech) are both taking steps back this year. The winner of this one likely wins the South, likely gets a date with (wait for it ...) for the Big XII Title, and a shot at a national championship. This is Texas Tech at OU last year on steroids.

The Predictions:



Whoever you root for, enjoy the season. It should be an epic one.

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...