Wednesday, April 21, 2010

the latest happenings


(its must win saturday. 6pm, espn. come on guys, don't make me go "steve inspirational speech before a chiefs game" on you ... photo: bucks.com)

An interesting few days, that's for sure.

* Saturday I spent the day helping some friends move some stuff and cut down some trees up in beautiful Missouri City. You really couldn't ask for a better day than Saturday was. Pushing 70, not a lot of wind, not a cloud in the sky. I've gotta say, I'm loving the direction spring is headed in. If we're in the low 90s for race weekend next week, I'll probably arrive to tailgate, get out of the car, and just start clapping like a trained seal with joy.

* Then Saturday night came the Bucks watching party for game one of the playoffs. Too bad the Bucks failed to show up until halftime. Call me crazy, but when you're down 22 after a quarter, and down 23 at the half, you didn't play very well. At the half, BJ had 20 points ... and nobody else had more than 4. That's not good.

The Bucks did rally, and had (what I thought was) two huge opportunities to put the fear of Sherman in the Atlanta natives. They cut it to 8 with 3:12 to go. Horford missed a 2 foot turn-around, and down the court came the Bucks. BJ stops and pops from the top of the key ... in and out. Ugh. But Delfino gets the board, and a few seconds later, pops it from the corner for three ... off the far side of the rim. Hawks rebound, and Josh Smith goes coast to coast to all but seal the game. Two three's in a fifteen second span, both an inch off. If either one goes in, and that 23 point lead is down to five, with still three minutes to go ...

* Ooh, I forgot to mention, I spent Saturday morning in pool school. Yup, I now (allegedly) know what I'm doing for pool maintenance this summer. Actually, it was pretty interesting, learning how the various chemicals interact, how you can adjust one chemical while maintaining the others. I used to know how to manage chlorine / ph / alkalinity when I lived with Gregg and we had the hot tub, but that's four years ago now. I'll say this though -- salt water pools are the way to go. They feel much better, they're easier to maintain, and no chlorine to boot. Well, unless the water temp gets below 60, then the salt stops working. But definitely the way to go.

* Sunday was all about getting the garden in. Planted 40 some odd tomato plants, about two rows of cucumbers, a row of squash, ten rows of corn, and other assorted mixed vegetables. Then dug up the flower beds to plant only God knows how many canna plants. Good God, those things multiply like friggin rabbits.

Most importantly though:


(some special little sprouts, uuh, sprouting through. photo: my quickfire phone).

* Monday was possibly the most stressful day of the last year for me. We'll just leave it at that. Very, very stressful. I would not wish my Monday on anyone. Well, except maybe john elway. That guy can never suffer enough in this life. So, how do you deal with a bad, stressful day?

* By going to a Shiner Bock tasting the next night! Last night's presentation was five Shiner products, and three from the Avery Brewing Company in Boulder.

There are events in life that you hype, that you get excited for, and then (peter griffin voice) they're more disappointing than striped gum. There are events in life that you hype and get excited for, and they pretty much meet your expectations.

And then there are events in life that you hype, that you get excited for ... and its even better than you hoped.

The Shiner tasting was one of those rare moments. Even better than advertised.

First off, there were only about 20 people there. Usually there's 55-60 at a beer tasting event, but only about 20 showed up. And at least half of us were huge Shiner enthusiasts. We showed up thinking we'd be cool, and drink out of our Shiner mugs (instead of the serving glasses they provide). Uuh, well, that was a neat idea in theory ... because the good folks from the Spoetzl Brewery had provided a brand new Shiner glass for everyone there. Since only about 20 people showed, I made out with a six pack of new Shiner glasses. The guy across from me (who showed up in a Shiner t-shirt, I wish I'd remembered to wear mine dammit), kept joking about how he was "building his six pack of glasses", so I stole the idea from him.

The first beer up was Shiner Blonde, a very good beer to be sure, but not in my top 10 favorites. It'd be probably in the fifteen, sixteen spot of my favorites. Next up was Shiner's answer to Boulevard Wheat, the Hefeweizen. I'd never had it before, to be honest. It was rather disappointing. Very orangy, very citrusy. Then again, I'm not a big fan of Boulevard Wheat, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Then the moment I was anticipating. Shiner Bock! The best beer in the world! OK, probably not, but it's definitely my favorite beer I've ever had. Because the crowd was so small last night, we had "unlimited sample sizes" last night. Suh-weet! I polished off about two bottles of Shiner Bock before we got to the next product, the 101. (Shiner started making a new beer every year about 8 years ago, as they approached their 100th anniversary. Since this is the 101st year of Shiner's existance, this year's new beer is the 101. Neat stuff).

Unfortunately, the 101 was awful. Would not recommend it. Last year's (the 100) was ridiculously good. I keep hoping they'll bring it back as a permanent fixture, like they did with the 97, which was beer number five, under its reborn name of:

Shiner Black Label. If you like Boulevard Bully Porter (which I do), you will love the Shiner Black. Very dark, rich beer with a solid kick to it.

After enjoying another Shiner Bock while things switched over, it was time for the Avery products. OK, first off, you know a brewery is good, when every beer they make is AT LEAST 8.2% in alcohol content, and 13 of the 19 beers you offer are over 10%. Secondly, I enjoy a brewery with a sense of humor in their naming features. Like how Westin Brewing Co has the Dropkick Ale they developed for Wizards game. This place takes naming to insanely hilarious levels. Their darkest, most potent beer, is called the Mephistopheles, named after of course Satan's alter ego. (So brilliantly played on SNL back in the day by Jon Lovitz).

But best of all, I know I'm going to love a brewery when the presentation begins with the vendor saying "now, its probably fitting we're presenting Avery on 420 day, because the owner is a huge marijuana fan. I've never met the guy without him offering me a beer and a joint". I think this guy and I would get along just fine. :)

The three we tried were their three "most popular", the Salvation, the Reverend, and Hog Heaven. (I should probably also note, almost all their beers are only available in pint sized bottles). The Salvation was awesome. It had the citrusy taste of an unfiltered wheat ... only it was also laced with cinnamon. I polished off nearly a full pint of it, it was that good. The Reverend was every bit as good. Another wheat type beer, only this one was laced with sugar. Phenomenally good. The last one, Hog Heaven, was not heaven for me. But I wouldn't turn it down if that's all there was to drink.

(dusty voice) come on Stevo! You'd drink gasoline if someone labeled it as "beer"! So true. So sadly, sadly true ...

But the best was yet to come. After sticking around and having another Shiner Bock and some more of the Salvation and the Reverend, it was picture time!


(its a bird! its a plane! its one big ass beer bottle! photo: my quickfire phone).

I loved that Shiner cutout. Awesome stuff. So as I'm checking out and buying some Shiner Bock and a couple of the Salvations, I ask the presenter "how big a bribe do you need to give up the Shiner cutout?" His response? "I'm not looking! If I take a look in a couple minutes and its gone, well then its gone!" So hell yes, I made off with the huge Shiner beer bottle! That'll class up the joint. Sadly, we didn't make out with the Shiner flag. That would have classed up tailgating this fall. Then again, I've been informed that we now own one of those flags with just the giant beer mug on it, so its all good.

After a late night dinner and some more Shiner Bock, it was off to analyze the main event of the day.

* The Chiefs schedule!

When Gregg called me with the home opener information, I was beyond ecstatic.

When the presenter last night dropped the "I believe the Royals are home that day too", I nearly hyper-ventilated.

It seems I was premature in noting the double header day this summer. I miscalculated Opening Weekend. So dare a kid dream? Could it be a true double-header day, with TWO games that count? A quick look at the schedule ... yes!

What a day September 13th is going to be! Possibly the best Monday this town has seen since when, 1995? Ironically also against San Diego? Just picture it. Gates open at 9am. Royals first pitch at noon. Then SIX FREAKING HOURS until kickoff for the Chiefs! Tuesday Morning Football!

I can hardly wait.

Because if I can't beat Dusty at washers with 12 effing hours to try, it's just never going to happen.

My thoughts on the schedule:

Week 1: Monday, September 13th, vs Chargers (9:15pm, ESPN). My good buddy Gregg has noted this many, many times ... sadly, not so much the last few years ... but there is NOTHING like the walk into Arrowhead for a prime time game. Nothing like it. My single favorite moment of any season, bar none, is that magical moment when the PA system starts blaring the opening notes of "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. I always just stop, and look. You have the ominous, creepy music playing, as the smoke from 70,000 tailgaters wafts into the sky, hovering over the stadium, hazing out the rising moon to the east, and the setting sun to the west. Its awe-inspiring.

We haven't had that moment since 2006, against denver. I don't think its a stretch to say that week 1, 2010, is the biggest regular season game the Chiefs have played since that night. Win, and you likely open 3-0. You get a quick tie-breaker over the rest of the division (and don't underestimate how huge that is. The sole reason we got in the playoffs in 2006 was that we beat the Chargers at home, while denver did not). And even better, you send what is likely to be your largest, most fired up crowd of the season home with some hope.

Week 2: Sunday, September 19th, at Browns (noon, CBS). Very winnable road game to open the away part of the schedule.

Week 3: Sunday, September 26th, vs 49ers (noon, FOX). Very winnable home game heading into the bye.

Week 4: bye. I'm not a fan of the early bye, although it can legitimately be argued the early bye saved the season in 2006. I'd rather have the bye in late October / early November.

Week 5: Sunday, October 10, at Colts (noon, CBS). Whoa, the Chiefs on the road on NASCAR weekend? Hot damn!

Week 6: Sunday, October 17, at Texans (noon, CBS). Great spot for this roadie. Should still be humid for tailgating, and air conditioned for the game.

Week 7: Sunday, October 24, vs Jaguars (noon, CBS). Good gauge game. Playoff contenders find a way to hold serve at home.

Week 8: Sunday, October 31, vs Bills (noon, CBS). I'm guessing Chan Gailey and Todd Haley won't be exchanging pleasantries beforehand. Only drawback to what should be a win is that the game is on Halloween. Which means the "Super Tools" will be prominently featured on the video boards.

Week 9: Sunday, November 7, at raiders (3:15pm, CBS). Chiefs have won seven straight in the black hole. They probably need to make it eight if they're going to be playing beyond my birthday.

Week 10: Sunday, November 14, at broncos (3:05pm, CBS). The fake mile high curse is broken. Now San Diego returns to being our House of Horrors inside the division.

Week 11: Sunday, November 21, vs Cardinals (noon, FOX). The only home game in November. Another good gauge game for the Chiefs.

Week 12: Sunday, November 28, at Seahawks (3:05pm, CBS). Thank you schedule makers, for ensuring I only have to take one vacation day for this trip! Very winnable road game for the Chiefs. The last time we faced a Pete Carroll coached team, the impossible happened -- Adam Vinatieri, for the win, from 23 yards out ... WIDE LEFT! Amazing game that day back in 1999.

Week 13: Sunday, December 5, vs broncos (noon, CBS). The day I live for. Could have huge wildcard ramifications.

Week 14: Sunday, December 12, at Chargers (3:15pm, CBS). One of two games you can effectively write off in the loss column five months prior to the season getting underway.

Week 15: Sunday, December 19, at Rams (noon, CBS). A must-win game for the playoff hopes. The Dome figures to be at least 60% Chiefs fans for this one.

Week 16: Sunday, December 26, vs Titans (noon, CBS). The last time the Chiefs beat this franchise at Arrowhead, I was a freshman in college. Let's just say we're overdue to (mr. william grigsby outside a nashville establishment voice) "beat those f*ckers!"

Week 17: Sunday, January 2, vs raiders (noon, CBS). January 2, 2000, the raiders played the Chiefs at Arrowhead, and you can argue the Chiefs still haven't recovered from that defeat. A chance to exercise a few demons by clinching a playoff berth in the exact same spot 10 years later?

Its a really balanced schedule. Every "quarter" has 2 home games, and two road games. Three back-to-back road trips sucks, but each of them features one very winnable game for the Red and Gold. Six of our ten home games (counting preseason) done by Halloween, keeping cold weather games to a minimum. In fact, unless something screwy goes down in denver in mid-November, the only cold weather games we'll play will be played at Arrowhead.

The schedule ensures this is a playoff-contending team. Unlike last year, when we were doomed from the start (at Baltimore, at Philly, vs Giants, vs Dallas, vs Chargers in our first seven games), the schedule is set to have us open 3-0. To be 5-2 when trick-or-treating Halloween night. 6-4 at worst after ten.

This is a 10 or 11 win team with a couple shrewd moves over the next three days. The end of the misery is in sight.

* Finally, its the last time bowling ever at King Louie, aka AMF West, tonight. I have many memories of that place as a kid. Trust me -- when you're a January baby and you live in cold weather, there ain't much to do for a birthday party other than bowl and ice skating. The place is shutting down at the end of May. I'll be sad to see it go. So if you have nothing better to do, feel free to come out and have one last cold one at that fine bowling institution ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...