Monday, December 11, 2017

one down. (at most) seven to go ...

“Backs to the wall, mouth bloodied, eyes blackened, but with head unbowed and fists raised … the
Chiefs (now) wait for the Chargers.  

I hope to see them throw a few more bombs before it’s all said and done.”

-- Seth Keysor at Arrowhead Pride, today.

“Season.  Back.  F*cking.  On!!!  (fist pump!!!)” -- me, yesterday.  (Pause).  Yeah, probably not the
“few more bombs” a minister in Minnesota was looking for ...

--------------------

If you know me at all, you know I love the late, great “Friday Night Lights” television show.  

And in the initial draft of the Chiefs Prognostication, the entire post was literally posting Coach Taylor’s
halftime speech from the season one finale “State”, and posting an, uuh, prognostication.

(For the record, pre-Marcus Peters suspension, my prediction was Chiefs 24, raiders 21 (OT).  My post-
Marcus Peters suspension can be read here … if only because for once, I actually nailed where this
team was at mentally, physically, and most importantly, emotionally.)

So allow me to say this, about yesterday’s 26-15 virtual playoff game victory over the hated oakland
raiders.

I have rarely -- if EVER -- been prouder to be a fan of this team.

And I have rarely -- if EVER -- been prouder to be one of those in attendance, in support of this team.

--------------------

If I get a slow week at work (note: not likely), you might get a recap of the day (and weekend’s) events.  
(Hey, if I promise you nothing, I can never fail to deliver.)  

Hence the emphasis on the word “might”, because there was a lot I’d love to recap and pontificate on,
not the least of which was the performance of Darrelle Revis “Island” yesterday.  Sweet Jesus.  Every
person in the stadium knew he’d be targeted.  He was -- eight times.  He allowed one catch for a
harmless eight yards.

It was loud in there yesterday.  My voice is shot today.  Look it, twenty, fifteen years ago, my voice was
always gone the day after a game, and I usually needed multiple band-aids to deal with what my hands
and fingers looked like.  Today?  I literally have no voice, and my hands haven’t hurt like this after a
sporting event since The Greatest Game I’ve Ever Attended So Far In My Life (Non-Chiefs edition) three
years ago.  

For the first time in three years, it hurts to type. And that's a good thing!

Yesterday was a day that comes along once a season if you’re lucky, and twice if you’re living a
charmed existence.  Because yesterday was EVERYTHING.  I thought it was so fitting that the first
song to pop up on Mixology yesterday was “All or Nothing” by Theory of a Deadman (again, I do not
believe in coincidence), because that’s what yesterday was -- for both the Chiefs and raiders.  

The winner emerged as the clear favorite to win the West, beat a fading Titans or choking Ravens team
to open January, and then give a beat up Steelers team or (team the Chiefs have already beat handily)
Patriots squad all they can handle in the Divisional Round.  (The loser yesterday was / is still
mathematically alive … although the raiders are all but dead, and probably will be by kickoff on Sunday
night, barring crazy shenanigans in Buffalo, Baltimore, and Jacksonville.)

Yesterday was as about as cool of a game as you’ll ever attend as a NFL fan.  Because literally every
snap mattered.  Especially after the raiders (correctly and brilliantly) challenged the onside kick
recovery, promptly scored and got the two, and all of a sudden, they’re down only 11 with over seven to
play, with all the momentum in the world on their side.

I leaned down to the two STM’s that sit in front of me, Ty and Gary, and I simply noted “this drive is the
season”.  I said the same thing to my buddy Andrew (the ONLY Chiefs fan who came in from South
Dakota this weekend … along with sixteen f*cking raider fans), and all he could do was nod in
agreement.  

That drive?  Was as pure Chiefs a drive as you’ll ever see:

Technically, it was a six play drive, seven if you count the punt.

In actuality, it was a ten play drive, that moved six yards, and bled 2/3rds of the clock off the, uuh,
clock, taking the game from 7:06 to 2:30 to play.

I honestly kept laughing at raider fans around me cheering every holding call on that drive (there were I
believe two of them, plus a motion penalty).  They were happy about it.

Uuh, guys?

That’s forty more seconds you don’t get to play with, each flag.  Because the raiders only had one
timeout (plus the two minute warning) left when the Chiefs took over.  Yeah, the flag stops the clock.  
But the next play restarts it for another forty seconds, and each play takes at least four to five seconds,
so really you’re not being helped in that spot by giving us three to four additional plays.  

By the time they get the ball back, they’re down at least a touchdown, two point conversion, and a field
goal, with no timeouts and less than three to play, starting inside their twelve yard line.

Good luck with that.

(Oh raider fans -- you’re the best!  Also, what did the raider fan get for Christmas?  Your bike (rimshot!)  
Please never cease to be all class guys, all class … except without the c, and without the l.)

--------------------

And so now, comes the single biggest regular season game this team has played in three years.

Because holy Lord, does everything truly ride on Saturday night.

No matter what on Saturday, the Chiefs will remain alive.  (Especially if the Browns can somehow upset
the Ravens in Cleveland.)  But with a win on Saturday night, the Chiefs do everything short of clinch the
division.

With a win on Saturday night, the ONLY way the Chiefs could not win the West, would be if they fail to
win again, and the Chargers fail to lose again.  ANY other scenario -- and we’re looking at you, raiders
at Chargers to end the season -- ANY other scenario, and the Chiefs win the division, and again, host a
“just as fatally flawed” wild card opponent in the Titans, Ravens, Bills, Chargers, or raiders.  (Technically,
the Dolphins are mathematically alive until kickoff tonight.  Rooting for massive plane crashes, no doubt
Dolphins fans are.)

I’ll try to post more as the week goes along.  Again, as I noted last Thursday night -- EVERYTHING is
still there for the taking.  The Chiefs have lost NOTHING that truly matters over the last painful 41 day
slide.  They STILL control their own destiny for the division, and even with a loss on Sunday, are still a
coin flip per 538 to make the playoffs.  (Note: let’s just win and be done with it guys, seriously.  My liver
can’t take much more … and said liver is speaking as a twenty plus year survivor of alcohol abuse.)

And once you get in, anything can happen.

But you have to get in first.

The single biggest component to punching the playoff ticket is Saturday night.

(Pause).

If you’re going?  (And if you're cheering for the Red and Gold, I pray I see you there.)

And if you're going?

I suggest prepping early with hot tea loaded with honey and a few splashes of whiskey.  You’d be
surprised how well the vocal cords hold up, with that concoction ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...