Saturday, January 11, 2020

the chiefs texans divisional pick ...

"I've been waiting for my dreams
To turn into something?  I can believe in.
And looking for that magic rainbow
On the horizon; I couldn't see it ...

Until I let go, and gave into love,
And watched all the bitterness burn.
Now I'm coming alive; body and soul!
Feeling my word start to turn!

So I'll taste every moment!
And live it out loud!
And know this is the time!
This is the time to be ...

More than a moment!
Or a face in the crowd!
I know this is the time!
This is the time of my life!!! ..."

-- "Time Of My Life" by David Cook ... who I really hope, is available to sing the National Anthem if needed at Arrowhead, come 2:05pm next Sunday ...

--------------------

* The Chiefs Pontification and Prognostication.

Four years ago, walking into NRG Reliant for the Chiefs / Texans Wild Card Game, I noted to my buddy Ryan that "if we (meaning, the Chiefs), if we can't win this game, then we're never going to win a playoff game".  I made that statement, because two years earlier, as Ryan and I were standing in the beer line at halftime of the Chiefs / Colts Wild Card Game, I noted that "we've waited twenty (bleeping) years for this!"

Of course, two years ago, after the Chiefs blew an eighteen point lead to the Texans, I had to literally be carried out from everyone's favorite lounge, because apparently I consumed approximately fifteen shots after the defeat.  (Note: I don't recall this ... so it was probably closer to twenty shots, but still.)

The Chiefs have playoff history against the AFC South.  In "Fat" Andy's six playoff appearances, this will mark the fifth time the first game has been against a team from the South.  (Only 2016, when the Chiefs opened against the Steelers, did we avoid a team from that division.)

And this season, the Chiefs went 1-3 against the AFC South, including 0-2 at Arrowhead.

On paper, this game terrifies me.  I don't think it's possible to overstate what the loss of Juan Thornhill will mean to this team.  (Simply put, it's devastating.)  The Texans certainly won't be intimidated by the Chiefs, by Pat Mahomes "Of The Chiefs", or by us, the fans.  They not only have already won at Arrowhead this year, they did so after trailing by two touchdowns entering the second quarter. 

We know their game plan will be solid, their offense can easily put up thirty plus points, and they have the running game to do the one thing most teams that beat the Chiefs do flawlessly: hold onto the ball and grind down the clock via the ground game.

I also have been on record all week as noting that the line (Chiefs -9 1/2) is the most f*cking ridiculous point spread I may have ever seen involving the Chiefs.  There is no way in hell this line is anything other than drunk, stoned, or both.  It's at least five points too high.  At least.

Having said all of that ...

--------------------

This game is going to finish one of two ways, in my (rarely) humble opinion.  Either the Chiefs are going to comfortably win this game, or the Texans are going to steal this one as time expires.  I don't see the Texans winning by three scores, and I don't see the Chiefs winning a close game.  Either the Chiefs will win relatively easily, or the postseason run ends before it reaches Game Two.

If this were against any other team, or against any other quarterback, I'd confidently type "Chiefs 31, Texans 13" and move on.  (I still have to dig New Tito out from the ice and snow, and get going to The Second Parents for dinner and the Titans / Ravens game.)  Because to be honest, this game terrifies me. 

But sometimes?  Fear is one hell of a motivator.  And I think it will be on Sunday for the Chiefs.

So I'm going to say * at Chiefs (-9 1/2) 41, Texans 21, in a game that probably won't even seem that close.  And then, for only the third time in my life, we can properly respect a week every NFL team dreams of reaching every season: Conference Championship Week.

Enjoy the games everyone.  But remember -- it's just a game.  Have fun with them.  I know I plan to ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...