Monday, October 4, 2010

chiefs colts: monday

Sunday, at high noon, the NFL's lone remaining undefeated team rolls into Indianapolis for a date with ... what, exactly?

A date with destiny? History says hardly. The Chiefs are one for their last ten against the Colts, the sole victory being a 2004 thriller at Arrowhead (more on that in a minute).

A close game? Highly probable. Of the last nine in the series, six have literally been decided on the final possession of the game. And all nine have been a one possession game in the 4th quarter. (Again, more in a minute).

A victory? History says no. The Chiefs have never won in Indianapolis, posting a perfect 0-5 record all time ... at the Hoosier turned RCA Dome.

So what exactly does Sunday hold?

I might have a lot to say about this ... and I might not. Tonight, let's look back at the last nine games played in this series. I know, I know -- 8 of them are excruciatingly painful. (OK, seven are. I know the 2003 playoff loss hurt ... but come on. That was one of THE funnest games I've ever had the honor of witnessing in person. As our buddy Pickell would say, "Let me put it this way ..." -- its a Chiefs postseason loss, on a Sunday afternoon, and I was at work with time to spare on Monday. That loss didn't eat me up. It couldn't. Too fun of a game.)

Here's your last nine, and my comments / thoughts from the top of my head:

(and yes, it scared the hell out of me that, when prepping this thing, I could recall not only all nine games, but the exact score of all nine, off the top of my head. I did have to rely on nfl.com/schedule to get exact times right, at least. Whew).

1995: Colts 10, at Chiefs 7. The first playoff defeat. Lin Elliott missed three field goals in the brutal cold, the last of which came inside of a minute to play. This loss never bothered me like the denver loss two years later. Partly because I hate denver more (albeit barely). But mostly because, there wasn't a shot in hell we were beating Pittsburgh the next week. Yes, the 1995 Chiefs were (and still are) my favorite Chiefs team ever ... but that was one seriously flawed group of overachievers.

Or is that "Overachiefers"?

1996: Colts 24, at Chiefs 19. I will go to my grave believing that if Marty hadn't panicked after the Chargers loss, and benched Bono, that we win this game. Call me crazy, but you don't bench a QB that is 8-4 on the current season, 21-8 as your starter. Ask denver how well benching jake plummer has gone for them. (plummer was 19-9 in his last 28 starts in denver, the last of which was the Thanksgiving nighter here at Arrowhead in 2006).

1999: at Colts 25, Chiefs 17. The Chiefs led virtually the whole way, until Elvis Grbac left hurt, and 406 year old Warren Moon attempted to lead a last minute rally that ended when his 4th and goal pass was knocked down. Perhaps best remembered for a 9pm phone call on the Saturday night before, that led to breakfast in the Steak and Shake parking lot outside the RCA Dome about 10 hours later. That, or the warning to avoid bringing "missile like objects" into the Dome. Thanks guys. Couldn't have figured out bringing a "missile like object" into a sporting event was a bad idea.

2000: Colts 26, at Chiefs 14. Opening Day. Still the hottest regular season game I've ever been to. Good God, it was hot that day, 105 I believe was the official temp.

I remember this one for the events from 48 hours before. Me and G went to the preseason kickoff party in the River Market, where Mr. William Grigsby was our master of ceremonies ... and Donnie Edwards was the Chiefs player on hand to ring in the new season. After exchanging pleasantries ... Donnie revealed he'd gotten Jenni's essay on our pregame antics, and loved it. The rest of the season was just nuts. Every week that guy had a different greeting / gift at the players entrance for Gregg. Culminating with the Christmas gift of game used gloves.

The game itself sucked. The Chiefs were in perfect position to pull the upset ... and choked a fourth quarter lead away.

2001: Colts 35, at Chiefs 28. A back and forth Thursday nighter (hey! Remember when we had one of these every year in October! Yeah ...) that the Colts survived.

2003: Colts 38, at Chiefs 31. The single biggest thing I remember about this game was Dante Hall's kickoff return to make the score 31-24 with 7:58 to go. I was yelling / screaming / lobbying with everything I could muster, that the time to try the onside kick was "NOW!" Arrowhead was going crazy. You couldn't hear yourself talk, let alone think. The Colts NEVER would have seen it coming. The Chiefs kicked it deep. They forced 3rd down. The Colts converted. Ballgame.

2004: at Chiefs 45, Colts 35. I remember three specific things about this game:

1. "deadbeat ex roommate" lobbying me for two weeks to get Randy's ticket ... first game ticket was available after his death ... and said "deadbeat" flaking on the ticket on gameday. Should have known then what being around that d*ckhead would mean.

2. Chiefs get up huge, 38-14, to open the second half ... and not even an hour later, its 38-35. Yeah, peyton manning is that good.

3. The external pressure entering that game. No, not on the field, but off of it. Bistate II's vote was three days away. Most folks felt then (as did I) that it was "approve this or else" when it came to the local teams. No, not necessarily "say hello to the LA Chiefs", but you had to wonder. Bistate II collapsed in defeat, despite the win. Thankfully the Jackson County residents stepped up and saved the Sports Complex two years later. But still.

2006: at Colts 23, Chiefs 8. As bad as this game was ... the Chiefs had the ball, down 8, with a shot to tie, with 11:44 to play.

2007: at Colts 16, Chiefs 13. A horrendous Chiefs team literally played the Colts to a draw for 59:59, before Adam Vinatieri won it on a field goal as time expired.

Nine games against Indy in the last 15 years. Eight Chiefs losses. Six games decided on the final offensive possession. Sunday, you can probably expect at least some of the same.

I think it'll be close. I think it'll come down to a final defensive stand (or lack thereof). This game always does; no shocker there.

What I'm most curious to see ... is coming tomorrow ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...