Friday, October 22, 2010

the week seven predictions

It feels like an Old School Sunday. Even two days out, it feels like something is gonna go down that we haven’t seen in a long, long time at that stadium. No, scratch that. I KNOW we’re gonna see something we haven’t seen in a long, long time in that stadium. (Keep reading …)

So, in honor of “Old School Sunday”, the week seven inspirational lyrics to open the predictions. A song every long-term, die-hard Chiefs fan will instantly recognize, and once you do, I defy you to not immediately start singing along …

“Adventure seeker!
On an empty street.
Just an alley creeper,
Light on his feet.

A young fighter screaming!
With no time for doubt.
With the pain and anger,
Can’t see a way out.

It ain’t much I’m asking,
I heard him say.
Gotta find me a future --
Move out of my way!

I want it all!
I want it all!
I want it all!
And I want it now!

I want it all!
I want it all!
I want it all!
And I want it now …”

“I Want It All” by Queen. Dear God, I miss hearing this song walking up the ramps after a Chiefs win …


Last Week SU: 4-10-0.
Season to Date SU: 51-39-0.

Last Week ATS: 4-7-3.
Season to Date ATS: 43-42-5

Last Week Upset / Week: accomplished it’s purpose.
Season to Date Upset / Week: 2-5.
This Week’s Upset / Week: Dolphins (+3) over Steelers.

The Non-Chiefs Predictions:

* at Falcons (-3 ½) 24, Bengals 20.
* Redskins (+3) 31, at Bears 21.
* at Titans (-3) 24, Eagles 10.
* at Dolphins (+3) 27, Steelers 20.
* at Saints 20, Browns (+13) 10.
* Rams (+2 ½) 30, at Bucs 20.
* at Ravens (-13) 49, Bills 3.
* 49ers (-3) 16, at Panthers 10.
* Cardinals (+6 ½) 24, at Seahawks 3.
* Patriots (+3) 41, at Chargers 21.
* at donkeys (-8 ½) 41, raiders 2.

Side note on the donkeys: apparently they play in London next week? Is it evil to root for the plane to go down Titanic-style? It is? Damn. (florida evans voice) Damn, damn, damn!

* Vikings (+2 ½) 31, at Packers 13.
* at Cowboys (-2 ½) 41, Giants 10.

Byes: Colts, Texans, Jets, and Lions.

The Chiefs Prediction:

Here’s what I mean by “Old School Sunday”.

This game sold out officially two weeks ago, when the Chiefs began offering standing-room only tickets. Which means the stands are going to be filled … with people who believe in this team.

Let’s face it – the Jaguars aren’t a marquee team. I wanted to puke seeing that stadium for Dallas and Pittsburgh and denver last year. Sure, us die-hards (and I would define anyone who has given this team his season-ticket money AND wasn’t doing it as a write-off, they actually showed up for the games, for the last three years? That is what the definition of a “die hard” is to me) we were there. But the stadium was infested with their fans. (And hopefully, after the donkeys fans left, we fumigated the place. You can never be too careful with denver fans involved).

So to sell out? AFTER the Indy loss? That says something to me.

It says we’re gonna rock this joint on Sunday.

My buddy Gregg put it best a couple years ago – the best thing, probably the only good thing, about the bottoming out the last couple years, is that there is now zero doubt who the die-hards are. There is not one inch of doubt who truly, passionately, loves this team. Again, I won’t blast anyone who can’t attend due to economic hardship. We’ve all been knocked around the last few years. But I will bash folks who quit going because it suddenly wasn’t “as much fun” or because the team “was losing”. It happens. Deal with it. You all demanded regime change. You got it. Unlike the regime change in Washington DC that was enacted at the end of 2008, the public has given this a chance to work. And it is working.

(My one political side rant, because (a) I have a whole meltdown post planned before election day on what’s coming, and (b) I try to keep these picks non-partisan, save for my hatred of all things denver and oakland. I am completely and utterly torn over what to root for. On the one hand, I am a liberal, and I don’t mind being called that, so long as you use John F. Kennedy’s definition of what a liberal is, and not Rush Limbaugh’s. Secondly, though, Rush put it best – it honestly is in my side’s best interest to lose in historic fashion in ten days. Honestly, it is. Because if we lose 75 in the House, and lose the Senate, under Obama’s watch … he’s pretty much unelectable isn’t he? And then where do we turn in 2012? (To the chick that I strongly endorsed, supported, and financially supported in 2008. The chick who (ssssssh!) won more votes than Barry in the primaries, and had more pledged non-super delegates than Barry. The candidate who, you know, was actually qualified for the job. And sure as all hell wouldn’t have picked Crazy Uncle Joe as her running mate). So I’m torn. Kind of like 2008 for the Chiefs – root for failure on the field to clean house, or root for the wins because, well, its my team? See, I can make an analogy out of anything. I’m that damned good).

Anyways, Sunday, that place will be packed with fans that believe. It’s been what, late 2006, maybe mid 2007, since that was the case?

Furthermore, do you know the last time the Chiefs had a comfortable, never in doubt home win? As in “we’re up double digits at the half, against a crappy foe, so kick off the shoes, relax, and work on the tan in the second half”? 2006, against the 49ers. It’s been five freaking years since we had a layup home win. We used to get 2-3 a year.

Sunday, we get one.

Todd Bauman, welcome to Arrowhead. I’m guessing you’ll never, ever, want to step foot in this stadium again after the experience that awaits you.

If you’re coming Sunday, you know the drill. The menu is breakfast, believe it or not. Mimosa’s, screwdrivers, bloody mary’s, and beer mosas for drinks. Biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, some really greasy bacon and sausage, the good stuff. Feel free to join in and enjoy.

If you aren’t planning on coming … uuh, what’s your excuse? Because unless you have kids or are economically destitute, it’d better be on helluva good one.

At Chiefs (-9) 41, Jaguars 7. As the Chiefs march (linkin park voice) one step closer to a division championship! And I’m about to break!

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...