Sunday, August 23, 2009

the 300,001st ounce tailgate! (as best i remember ...)

"Its these changes in attitudes,
Changes in latitudes,
Nothing remains quite the same;

With all of our running,
And all of our gunning,
If we didn't laugh, we would all go insane!

If we weren't all crazy we would go insane!"

-- Jimmy Buffett, "Changes in Latitudes".
---------------

If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane.

A perfect description for me, at least. As well as the group of folks who showed up Saturday to celebrate an alcoholic milestone.

Here's the recap, as best I remember, anyways ...

* I knew this day would be something different when I'm leaving the Price Chopper parking lot ... and the Blazer's engine starts billowing huge white smoke. My first thought was "oh sh*t the car's on fire!" Thankfully, it was just a two block drive home. But I still don't know what's wrong with it -- the suggestion of the auto parts store guy for a quick fix failed. Can't wait to see what this is gonna cost me.

* But thankfully, everything needed from a food perspective, and a booze perspective, was dirt cheap at Price Chopper. I got 6 lbs of the 93% meat to make the burgers, 12 brats, 16 dogs, 8 chicken breasts, 2 packages of cheese, a bottle of vodka, a 6 pack of Gatorade, and forks / knives / spoons, for barely $50. Unbelievable. I expected to drop $75 at least.

* Katie and I arrived at 2:30ish. First smart idea of the day, was saving spots. Since another tailgating group arrived and took over the other half of the grassy lot.

* Second smart idea of the day: remembering the cell phone. Because both Brent and Drew failed to heed the "turn left!" instructions I sent out. Thankfully, Katie knows cars better than I do, and immediately recognized they'd screwed up.

* Second to arrive was Drew and crew, which included the lovely Ashley, Phil and Jenny, and everyone's favorite, Chris!



* Brent was next, shortly followed by Gregg and Ashley. Dusty and the lovely Kellie, along with Cam and Ashley, were next.

* Despite my drilling 3 point shots with stunning accuracy for a brief stretch ... its now 0 for 57 against Dusty in washers. Another 4 or 5 losses, and I might need to consider renaming me and my partner the "Washington Generals". Or the "Kansas City Royals". Either way, it shows the hopelessness of the situation.



* After the washers game, it was time to open my "present" in honor of this historic achievement. Gregg and Ashley noted that "we spent a whole $7 on this!" In a paper bag (go figure) ... was a big can of Keystone Light Ice, a small bottle of Viaka vodka (whatever the hell that is) ... and the gift de resistance: a bottle of Boone's Farm sangria.



* I love tailgates where you can hang a (marlboro team penske mailing voice) "welcome smokers!" banner. :)

* the ring toss game was fun as well. Ditto the frisbee blow up ball toss thingy that Chris bought because "it looked neat". In a related development, alcohol was probably involved in the decision to purchase said frisbee blow up ball toss.

* the jello shots were awesome. 8 different varieties, some with rum, some with vodka, just an all pro effort by Katie on those. Between her effort Saturday and Dusty and Kellie's effort last Saturday, I might need to retire from jello shot making and let the "younger generation" take over.

* the grillmaster was awesome too. Gregg did a great job grilling up the chicken, the brats, the dogs and the burgers. And the burgers turned out better than even I hoped they would.

* Most everyone headed into the game. I did not, neither did Katie. Which meant a solid 2 hours of washers, ladder toss, and jello shots while flipping between music and the Cup race at Bristol. Good times!

* About 8:30ish most everyone headed out from yet another Royals loss. And the party really got underway. Dusty and his crew left right after the game (boo! boo! party poopers!), but everyone else stuck around until 10:30ish living the day up for all it was worth.

* Somehow I scored a free Royals hat. Not sure how that worked, and considering I usually don't wear hats I'm really not sure how it happened, but hey, you take what you can get.

* Finally after about 2 hours of solid postgame tailgating, the fun was done. But what a day it was. 20 some odd people, coming together to celebrate a greater good (booze!). My goal was accomplished. If you showed up, you had fun, you got to spend good times with good folks, with some good food and some good booze. We need to do this more often. Next summer, we gotta do this at least once a month. Because if you can't have fun tailgating, you just don't know how to have fun ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...