Wednesday, August 5, 2009

reasons 19 and 18. and a mini-"fake mailbag"

Reason 19 needs no introduction. It needs no explanation. Anyone that has ever sat in the KU Student Section, knows what I'm talkin' about.

(pa system) (playing "ah ah ah ah ah! ah ah ah ah! ah ah ah ah ah! ah ah!" song)
(ku kicker) (kicks ball off)
(ku student section) aaaaah! RIP HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF!!!!!

THE greatest tradition in college football, bar none. So tremendously popular that we, the Student Section, rose as one against our beloved head coach's attempt to stop it last year.

And yet, as great as that chant is, its just a drop in the water with some of the classics:

* "You Let the Whole State Down! You Let the Whole State Down!" -- to a Nebraska OL during the 2007 historic victory over "Sur" William Callahan's Huskers.

* "Worse Than Baylor! Worse Than Baylor!" -- chanted during the same game.

* "Muck Fizzouri! Muck Fizzouri!" -- take a guess.

* "BOOOOOOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" -- the one game a year a military para-trouper flies onto the field with a KSU colored parachute. This one cracks me up to no end.

Reason 19 I'm fired up for football season, is the KU Student Section. I'm proud to be a honorary member. I'm ... I'm honestly tearing up, that two die-hard KU grads have accepted me as one of them, that we have season tickets together, and that we have yet in (how many years?) of doing this, of (how many years?) heading up to Lawrence for Game Day Saturday, we have yet to EVER sit in our actual seats. Student Section Represent!

Reason 18 ... again, needs no introduction.

The 2007 showdown was literally a battle to see who would play for the right to play for the National Championship.

Last year's showdown ... without question, the single greatest college football game I have ever attended.

Reason 18, is KU! MU! Arrowhead! (On my brother's birthday).

I LOVE how KU and MU have stolen the UT / OU playbook here, and basically said "you know what? We could make more money keeping this on campus. We could be greedy like that. But putting this game in a neutral site, giving fans a ridiculous buildup to the game, and then delivering year after year "holy effing shite" finishes, that's better for us, and for the sport". Way to go, Kansas. Way to go, Missouri.

I was wondering, entering last year, how you'd top 2007, the debut of the Border Showdown. 2 vs 3, with number one (LSU) losing the day before. So literally, 1 vs 2. How do you top that?

With an amazing, epic 4th quarter that is amongst the greatest moments Arrowhead Stadium has ever played host to.

2008, topped 2007.

I can't wait to see how 2009, tops 2008.

So ...

"I live in Mission! Not Roeland Park, not Topeka, not Bum F*ck USA! Mission G*d D*mned Kansas! Jesus!" -- Brent S, "Mission", KS.

sk: uuh, ok?

"A fake mailbag without me in it? Who the f*ck do you think you are? Now take the shirt off and give me something to look at!" -- Ashley G, Bonner Springs.

sk: I apologize for "ignoring" your emails. And if August 15th is a typical August 15th, you'll have a "sight" for your "sore eyes" pretty much for the entire tailgate and the game.

"Really? I bowl a 172 / 192, and you don't mention that? No wonder we broke up!" -- Katie H, Lenexa.

sk: uuh, sorry? I know I'm (kris allen voice) "heartless" at times, but not mentioning the single most remarkable bowling achievement I've ever seen, is just wrong. She'd never bowled above 148, and she drops those back-to-back. Un-uncle-bucking-believable.

"So, what's the word on that job thing? Not for me, but for a friend of mine!" -- Calvin, Old School McDonalds ad, USA.

sk: anyone can work at Mickey D's. For free, to boot! Ask ... well, let him chime in:

"So I said "rectum?" -- Gregg G, Bonner Springs.

sk: have fun on that road trip, champ. And don't forget my effing program. I got you a "part time ... ok, we're desperate as hell for living bodies" gig working the grill at McDonalds back in the day. That's worth something, right? Right? Right? ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...