Wednesday, August 19, 2009

chiefs! texans! rain ... the recap

The day started out with monsoon like conditions. The day ended in monsoon like conditions. But in between? Fairly decent day for the first tailgate and Chiefs game of the year. Some quick thoughts before moving on from a sad opening night ...

* the pics of the tailgate are up on Facebook. Both Katie and I took a few quality shots of the action. It was definitely pre-season, only 15 some odd people showed up, and Davey and Tracey's crew didn't show up until an hour before kickoff. Still, anytime you can toss a washer while enjoying some jello shots, its a good day.

* the menu was rock solid for preseason. Mona made a roast and ham. The side items were really good, especially that taco like thingy Dusty brought. The jello shots were cold and potent. The beer was ice cold, and Steve's patented Tiger Woods Green Gatorade and vodka went down a bit too well. Its all good.

* except for my washers play. Holy crap, I can tell I haven't tossed a washer since Memorial Day. It took DJ, Kellie and Katie and I nearly 30 minutes to finish a game to 21. Honestly, I don't know why I try at this point. I can't beat the kid. He could be blindfolded with his trademark in one hand, and a beer in the other, and I'd still find a way to go down in defeat. (My way of saying, rematch Saturday!)

* 8 people rode the bus out. 7 rode the bus home. Katie decided "screw it" to standing in the rain. I'm gonna say, she made the right call. Because

* I called in sick Monday with some kind of flu bug. Well, by "called in sick", I mean "worked on the couch while sneezing and puking". And I did NOT have much to drink on Sunday, so I know I was legitimately sick for once. Come on. I don't call in drunk sick after preseason.

* I really liked the two new additions to the group this year, Will and Tyler. Two randoms who just came up to us at Bill and Vessie's kick ass luau last week and said "hey, are you the folks with the bus?" And out of that, two new riders were gained. Good additions. Especially since with Will around, I'm pretty sure I will not be the only drunk shirtless guy tailgating this year. Yay me?

* My new seat number? 14. (gregg voice) Good number champ.

* Chris and Greg ... not there. But kept their tickets, should be there next week.

* Gary and his wife renewed. She was actually personable last week, a stunner. Gary and I get along great, even if he is a KSU fan. And me and his son Tyson, we get along real well. But for some reason his wife isn't a fan. But very pleasant. Good to see.

* Worst development: the two drunken idiots, and I mean IDIOTS, who sidled into the two seats empty next to me. Their tickets had 340 as their section number. If I'd known Dusty and Kellie and Katie were actually trying to move over, I'd have called fan assistance on their ass and given DJ our tickets to get him into the seats. Seriously, preseason fan can be awful. You could tell these two chicks were given tickets and just decided to get as close as they can to the action. Fine. But for the love of Christ, PLEASE don't spend the next 90 minutes on your cell phone calling to people around the stadium and waving at them with the "see me? You see me?" blast. I HATE that.

* Instead, handle it like Anthony and I did:

(anthony text) 131. 24. 15.
(steve) (looks over one section)
(steve text) see you. beer at the quarter?

See, that's how you get in touch with someone sitting by you. Because you don't annoy anyone around you.

* Patti DiParto-Livergood with the Anthem! Always nice.

* First thing I HATE about the new "Arrowhead": no band. This is outrageous. The friggin band section is STILL THERE, but there's no band! (brian griffin voice) what the hell? (steve voice) BOO! BOO!

* Second thing I HATE about the new "Arrowhead": the Ring of Honor is gone. Here's a thought guys: take the money you whizzed on the stupid wrap around signage, and keep the band. Because that keeps the Ring of Honor intact too.

* Final thing I HATE about the new "Arrowhead": the down, distance, time, and TOs remaining have moved. 90 degrees away. Right below the coaches box. For a decade now, I have focused in on the same damned spot to get down and distance. No more. I am p*ssed about that.

(But at least the playclock is in the same general area. But why you'd have a playclock WITHOUT any other game info, is beyond me. HORRIBLE decision, Chiefs organization. HORRIBLE).

* I might be the only one ... but I miss the troughs.

* the rain started falling midway through the first quarter. It didn't ever let up.

* at halftime, we finally gave up, and headed up for shelter. After gathering our remaining group, I dropped the tried and true Russism that "the beer's cheaper and colder at the bus!" So to the bus we went.

* after a few jello shots and a couple cold ones, it was off for home. Where sad news awaited:

* Boomer was hurt, and cut, by the Texans as a result of his injury. I wish him nothing but the best. And am asking Mr. Pioli to please consider rectifying the mistake of letting him leave two years ago, and giving him another chance. He's better than anything we have on special teams right now, even without practice the next four weeks. Give the kid a contract and bring him home.

* my final thought doesn't involve the game, or the on-field play, or anything any sane, rational person would be accused of thinking. Because not one, not two, but three people around me Saturday night, when asked by visiting fans, newbies, etc., who was the most knowledgable fan in the section, they answered "Steve". Now granted, one of them was Russ. But two of them don't have an affiliation with me, other than sitting by me 10 times a year. I thought that was cool, to be honest. That virtual strangers now identify me, your (no longer self described!) hot as hell 32 year old blogger as Section 132's leader. Which only means one thing:

Section 132 now has the two most knowledgable fans in that stadium. Steve ... and Gregg. And as an added bonus, one of us is usually sober!!! Seriously, between us, we now form a section you don't want to avoid sitting in. If you're scalping tickets, keep that in mind. 132. Where you want to be. Especially between rows about 20 to 40. You're guaranteed to have to "deal" with one of us in that row range ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...