Thursday, August 6, 2009

reason 17

from the final episode of "Cheers". Fast forward to the 3:29 mark, and enjoy one of the greatest moments in this awesome show's history. (Sure, I'll have a quick one!) But then comes the 4:54 mark:

(norm) well, I'm off. But, uh, Sammy? Can I let you in on a little secret?
(sam) Sure.
(norm) I knew you'd come back.
(sam) You did?
(norm) (nods head) You can never be unfaithful to your one true love. You'll always come back to her.
(sam) (befuddled) Who is that?
(norm) Think about it Sam.

The look on Sammy's face when it dawns on him, what his "one true love" is, just says it all. The combined "whoa / sweet!" look. It all perfectly sums it up.

Sammy's true love was Cheers. But not just the bar. The people in the bar. Everything that bar stood for, to him, made it special. But the people that bar brought into his life, made it his one true love.

Reason 17 is my one true love in life.

No, not the Kansas City Chiefs, although they have made it possible.

Reason 17 ... is Section 132.

The 2009 season will be my 9th season sitting in 132 for every game. There have been many memorable moments in our little section of Arrowhead, positioned nicely on the northwest goalline. We've witnessed so many incredible finishes in the previous eight seasons. Dante Hall's punt return that electrified that stadium against denver, swung to glory through our section. Morten Anderson's last second field goal to beat oakland later that year. LJ's touchdown dive to beat the raiders in 2005? Our end zone. Lawrence Tynes' 52 yarder to beat San Diego in 2006? You betcha. Our goal posts. Jarrad Page's end zone INT to seal the oakland win in 2006. jake "the fake" plummer's final NFL pass, falling incomplete and spurring the Brave Bennie Sapp, towel in hand, to storm the donkeys sideline on Thanksgiving Night in that magical 2006 season. Even 2007, a few moments of magic occurred, thanks to the streaker that turned the Vikings game around.

In that preceding paragraph, there's a lot of memories. But one recurring theme on the adjectives.

"We". "Our". "Us".

Section 132 isn't just a number, just a place, just a seat to me. Its my true love in life. Because a large number of the folks who mean everything to me, the people that help make me what I am, who love and accept and simply enjoy the craziness that I am, they share that section with me.

I can't imagine not sitting next to Nancy at a Chiefs game. I can't imagine not walking down the aisle when I arrive for the day without her Coke in one hand, my beer in the other hand ... and Chris' beer being delicately balanced between the two. I don't want to imagine the alternative. I love the multiple flasks floating between myself (Parrot Bay), Russ (J Walker), and Tyson (Hennessy).

I love the fact that Chris and Greg chose the bye week for their wedding. Forget the fact that it was the PERFECT Steve wedding. (You show up at their house, are given a glass depending on what you want to drink, the ceremony lasts 5 minutes, and party on). They intentionally chose the bye week, and not just the bye week in 2006, but both KU AND MU were playing roadies, so nobody's schedule was interrupted. These are the people I sit by, the people I love. And to think people wonder why I'm me.

I love Gary and his wife in front of me. Good, down to earth folks who aren't into the tailgating scene, aren't into the partying scene, but show up come hell or high water to root this team on. And the couple times a year they can't be there due to family obligations or health issues or what have you? They give tickets ONLY to Chiefs fans. They don't sell them. They don't let the enemy in the gates. They give them to people who will represent section 132 at its finest.

I love the Springfield chicks behind us. I miss the Pot Pie guys who used to sit in front of us. I love the looks Greg and I exchange when Len Dawson drops the inevitable FCC-finable blast on each radio broadcast. (Mostly, I just love the fact that I'm not the only person around me wearing the headphones) Good times!

I love the fact that Pat and his wife "upgraded" their seats ... to sitting underneath the overhang in the same section. They upgraded but refused to move. Hell, even my uncle Bill and my pseudo-uncle Scott's seats used to be in my section prior to the reorg this year (they're now in 133, but we'll still consider them honorary members of section 132). Scott, God knows he's got the money to upgrade to any spot he wants in that stadium, he's made a huge success of himself, and good for him. But he sticks it out. In 132. Because why leave what works?

I love the fact that my "second parents", were met by simply sitting in that section. Three "transplanted Texans", by random circumstance, wind up next to each other, and out of that has sparked a friendship, a love, I don't ever want to see messed with. I can't imagine Sundays in the summer not spent floating and playing volleyball in Russ and Mona's pool.

I don't want to imagine life without them. I never would have dealt with Randy's passing without them. That Friday night at Nancy's was the most amazing night of my life. Mona was the only one who understood exactly how I felt three days later at the funeral, the only one who was waiting to comfort me after passing Randy for the final time. She was grieving. She was hurting. Her friend was gone. But her friend, aka me, was finally ready to explode with emotion. She was the only one who understood. She was there. I can't even begin to describe what that hug / "Steve breaks down in tears" cession at the end of the aisle meant. But I couldn't have made it through without her. And Russ ... my God, where do you begin? He reminds me so much of my own dad. Always willing to do anything you want simply because he loves you. Always willing to ignore your flaws because he loves you. Always willing to play along with the joke, even if he's the butt of it. I just ... there isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God for their being in my life. And I truly mean that.

That ain't possible ... without Section 132.

I love the fact that two more "transplanted Texans" share the seats in front of us half of the year. I don't want to imagine a section 132 without Monty and Sheila driving up, tapping the Miller Lite keg on the ambulance, and making the experience even greater than it already was before they arrived.

And like Sammy in the final scene posted earlier ... I too show section 132's past heroes the reverence, the respect, the honor they deserve. The first thing I do when I arrive, after passing out the beverages, is to tap Randy's old seat. Give it a good pat or three, and to this day I still blink back the tears. Just to let my friend know I'm there. I've got his back for this one.

If you're lucky in life, you get three, four, maybe five people, that will stick with you through thick and thin. That will actually live the meaning of "for better or worse". In section 132 alone, thanks to a wonderful new addition this year, I've got 8 people that fit that description, 9 if you count Randy working for me up in heaven. Yup, the old roommate, arguably my best friend, Gregg, his lovely wife Ashley, his awesome sister Jenni, and his amazing folks are now section 132 residents.

Just when you think things can't get any better, they do.

That's what happens when its your "one true love". You always come back to her. And come back is what I'll be doing a week from Saturday.

Section 132 is Arrowhead's finest. I am absolutely convinced of it. It is my passion for life, to live with the people I share that experience with, and that I look forward to sharing that experience with.

As Sammy noted when it dawned on him what Norm was talking about, "I tell ya. I'm the luckiest son of a bitch on earth". That's how I feel every time I walk into that stadium.

I'm the luckiest son of a bitch on earth. I've won life's lottery by sitting where I do. And its just one of the many reasons I am ready for Football 2009.

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...