Thursday, August 21, 2008

who the pick has to be ...

As much as I love football ... I also love politics.

As a Hillary supporter, I am currently "undecided" in who I will support in November, although if the election were held today, I would vote for John McCain. Both Senator Obama and Senator McCain bring things to the table that I like ... and that I strongly dislike.

And the polls tend to reflect that I am not alone in that observation, as both Senators are basically tied up as we head to Convention Weeks.

With that said ...

I think the VP announcement for Obama will make or break his candidacy. There's nothing the Convention is going to do to stop his bleeding poll numbers. Well, that's not technically true, we could rise up in the floor vote Wednesday night, give the nomination to Hillary, and save our party from the 45 states and the District landslide we're headed towards. (A scenario I pray unfolds).

But really, what will he gain from the Convention? The Clintons own Tuesday, and likely will dominate Wednesday as well, with the floor vote containing her name, the possible roll call of states to give her pledged delegates ... and Chelsea and Bill both speaking. And Monday's key moment will be the Senator Kennedy tribute. So Senator Obama will enter his historic night at fake mile high coming off of ... what, exactly? Not one, not two, but 3 straight news cycles of praise for someone other than him?!?!

(Note: this is why I think Obama is an idiot of the highest degree. To give the Clinton's a night, fine. But make it Monday, like Gore did in 2000. Then you cram 2 of the 3 major themes into one night, and you get the other 3 nights to launch your message and vision uninterrupted! Good God, why is it that I can see this and Barry can't?!?! End rant).

This poll collapse, this obvious lack of bounce due to us Hillary backers saying "screw it, McCain's closer to our gal than you are Barry", I suppose, is why people think he should pick Hillary as Veep.

I argue, that's ridiculous.

Because to pick her, is to flat out admit, that we as Democrats blew it in the primaries and caucuses, that we picked the wrong person to be our nominee.

(A charge I completely agree with).

To pick Hillary, is an admission that you are too weak of a candidate, too inept of a politician, to win this thing against a 72 year old man with cancer issues. And with every media outlet in the nation not having "FOX" in its name on your side.

Picking Hillary means to admit you're not capable of winning this on your own.

However, isn't that the case anyways? No matter who Obama picks ... won't they have to appear better than him if he is to win?

This is Barry's problem. No matter who he taps as Veep ... they're likely to be more qualified for the job he's running for, than he is. So he has to pick someone who, yes, is more qualified than he is ... but also can attract back us PUMA folks. And someone who yes, is more qualified than he is ... but is perfectly fine playing 2nd fiddle.

This is why Governor Kaine makes no sense. You nominate someone even less qualified than you to be your Veep? Ridiculous. Who cares if he puts Virginia in play, McCain has just about put New York in play because of the HRC factor. He's cleaning up on you in the 3 key states that have determined the last 2 elections (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida).

You need someone who can win you those states. And possibly something in the former Confederacy as well.

Which is why Governor Sebelius makes no sense. She doesn't put Kansas in play ... hell she doesn't put anything in play. Plus, how hacked are the female Hillary voters going to be if Sebelius is the pick? To pick my state of origin's governor is political suicide. No way Obama is this dumb.

(I should say, I hope he's not this dumb. If he is, God help us all).

Joe Biden? I like the guy. I love cocky and arrogant people. But come on. Joe Biden? The man barely garnered 1% in the primaries. That's our salvation? Uuh, no.

John Edwards? As funny as this would be, no.

John F Kerry? (who, in case you have been living in a cave the last 40 years, served in Vietnam?) Yeah, we're gonna put someone with even less of a spine as Veep than our Presidential candidate? If Kerry refused to fire back at the Swift Boating in 2004 when he was seeking THE top job, why the hell is he gonna fire back now seeking 2nd place?

Evan Bayh? I wanted a Clinton-Bayh ticket the last 6 months. There's still hope I guess that the floor vote goes wacky and Clinton gets the nod. But bringing in Bayh ... I don't see it. Yeah, he puts the Rust Belt in play ... but he brings Mark Penn with him, he doesn't bring foreign policy or even domestic policy into the mix, and did I mention he brings Mark Penn with him. This pick would be a mistake.

(Even if it would make me contemplate it at least. I like Bayh a lot. I hope I get to vote for him someday to be President. But he just doesn't fit in this spot).

Bill Richardson? I like the guy. A lot. He brings foreign policy experience, energy policy experience, and actual leadership experience. But like Biden ... to pick Richardson, you're aiming for 2, maybe 3 percent of the vote still out there? To secure New Mexico? Unless this is a "West Wing" election day episode type unfolding, I don't see New Mexico as the vital state in this election.

(Note: I think New York is THE key state to this election. McCain is within 7 this morning. In New York. And Barry has a decision still to announce (as does McCain). If Barry doesn't pick HRC or someone at least as qualified as her, NY is definitely in play. And if McCain wins NY, its over).

No, if Barry is serious about winning this thing (and he'll need us PUMA Hillary backers to do it ...) there's only one person he can pick that makes sense.

Only one person who is beyond qualified to lead on day one. Only one person who has the respect, the admiration, the "gravitas" with the electorate to somehow give Obama the win in November.

(And no, its not Hillary. I haven't changed my stance on this just because I typed 10-11 paragraphs above this one. I think picking her is political suicide. We PUMA Dems will never back a ticket with her on the bottom of it).

Yes, this person is more qualified for the job than Barry. But he's always put public service first. He's set aside his own ambitions to play 2nd fiddle before. He brings in the Clinton backers because ... well, he helped make the Clintons. Even if his Letterman chit-chats were always overrated.

And its time ... well, I'll stop there, because I might start repeating his 1992 DNC acceptance speech that had this (go figure) hot as hell (at the time) 16 year old being won over to the Democratic Party.

The only candidate Barack Obama can tap that helps him ... is Al Gore.

Gore gives you the swing / independent vote. He puts Florida in play, and wraps up New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan. He puts the Confederacy in play.

He gives you the foreign policy credentials you need. He gives you the domestic focus we want.

If Obama wants to win, he has to pick Gore. If Obama knows what it takes to win, the pick has to be Gore.

(Which means expect Sebelius ...)

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...