Monday, November 10, 2008

so here's the plea ...

There have been a lot of changes to what we have known the "Arrowhead Experience" to be over the last few seasons.

We have lost loved ones, both due to tragic passings, and tragic marriages. We have split into different tailgating camps.

We have seen the on field product transform itself time and time again. From dominant offense, to dominant team, huge disappointment, to "luckiest team alive" with the Immaculate Trifecta, as Bob Gretz phrased the New Year's Eve miracle two years ago ... to what we are today -- a young, rebuilding, genuinely entertaining, visibly improving team that is still at least a year, probably two, away from being a viable threat.

(Words I would not have written three weeks ago. But even me, the most frustrated of all fans, even I have to admit -- when you go on the road to the AFC East leading Jets and have the ball with a shot to win, when you host the NFC South front running Bucs, and have the ball with a shot to win, and you hit the road against the one-game-back Chargers, and have the ball with a shot to win ... you can't argue this team isn't entertaining. Even if they keep finding new ways to lose ...)

Anyways, my point is this. I swore at the beginning of this season, I would not beg anyone to show up for any game other than denver. I think, for the most part, I've kept my promise. No "fire up the fanbase speeches", no "show up if you're a real fan" emails. No passionate pep talks, no lengthy discussions on why we're going to win, just simple, stick to the point commentary that has been anything but complimentary of these guys.

(Again, save for denver. That one is special to me).

Like I said, I've kept my promise.

Until Sunday.

Because Sunday, the Chiefs universe, the tailgating world, the "core" as I know it when it comes to One Arrowhead Drive ... the center no longer holds.

The Bus Man isn't coming.

I don't want to get into too much detail, partly because I don't think its right, but mostly because I fear for what lies ahead. If you remember the root cause of what caused Randy's downward spiral four years ago, history is tragically repeating itself. The Bus Man is having surgery on Thursday in an attempt to stave off the same physical situation going from bad to horrid.

I got a call last Tuesday, asking if I would be willing to fill in as "The Bus Man" this Sunday for the Saints game. To keep at least one tradition alive. Even if the Tradition Holder can't be there.

I have rarely been as honored in my life as I was to be asked. Then, reality set in.

I had never in my life driven a stick shift vehicle before yesterday. My lack of skill in that department has resulted in some embarrassing moments, like having to ask the neighbor to back Brent's car up because neither Gregg nor I knew how to do it ... to conning Dusty's mom that "sure, Steve can drive us home" in Dusty's car at the summer company picnic this year. (Note to Dusty's mom: ANY time the phrase "sure, Steve's good to drive" is involved, its a scam. Its a friggin scam. Don't believe it).

Anyways, yesterday, I got a crash course in driving a manual transmission. I got some pointers and practice piloting the tailgating bus. I think I'm ready.

My question, my plea, my heartfelt request, is this:

Will you join me?

I know I put far, far too much emphasis on symbolism, on tradition, on things that nobody else finds even remotely amusing or interesting, save for maybe Gregg and occasionally Damien if he's bored enough. (And sometimes Dusty if he's in, uuh, Dustyland). And I know that nobody looks to the past more than me, nobody I know of studies history, no matter how pointless said history seems to be, and treasures it, like I do.

I hope Sunday (and likely next week as well against Buffalo) is an aberration, a temporary suspension of the tailgating glory and greatness and madness that has gotten us into a couple Price Chopper commercials, has won us the Tailgaters of the Game twice (including less than a month ago), and has led to so many great memories and friendships, which is what really counts when its all said and done. I hope Sunday is a temporary speed bump. I pray its just a temporary suspension of play.

I fear Sunday is the final transition from the founding generation of tailgating, to us, the heirs.

Because let's face it. For the first time ever ... the kids are running the show.

Hence this week's special plea. If this is our first shot at running things, let's do this right.

I hope you'll make the personal sacrifice to get up early, load the coolers, bundle up tight (it'll be a little "nipsey russell" out there ...) meet up and head out as one on the tailgating bus. To stake our claim. Just like Randy and Nancy and Jasson, and Gregg and Gordon did 20 years ago, to kick this thing we call "The Arrowhead Experience" off ... its our turn now to plant the flag in the ground, and ensure we keep this thing going for another 20 years.

Sunday, I believe the page sadly turns to its next chapter. My plea is let's do this right. If you love this team, be there! What more reason do you need, other than to be a part of establishing history as we'll know it for the next generation, our generation of Chiefs fans and tailgaters?

If you need a place to crash Saturday night to ensure you can make it, we've got room over here (and our Bucks vs the Celtics!)

The more things change, the more I sometimes wish they could stay the same. Well fellow Chiefs fans, "Buck You's" ... here's our chance. We can start the next 20 years of tailgating excellence ... by continuing to do what's made the last 20 years so great.

I'll close the initial plea (yup, the picks are returning to the traditional fire-us-up speech format, for one week only ...) with this:

The last two years, some of us have had a "Restore the Tradition" tailgate at our old spot on the Hill. Most everyone who reads this, no matter how infrequently, has partied it up at the Crosswalk to G in Lot N with us. That was Tradition as we knew it.

Sunday, let's "Sustain the Tradition". Let's show up, as one. Do it for me, if only because it'll make for a tremendous post come Sunday night. Do it for yourselves, because you love this team. Do it because you've tailgated with us before, you enjoyed it, and you want to come back for more.

Most of all, do it for The Bus Man. All of us have had a beer or three with that guy at some point. Most of us have enjoyed the pool on a hot Sunday afternoon. Some of us have had the distinct privilege of getting to call him "friend". "Pal". Even fewer of us view him like a second father.

I'm in that select crew. I pray that this is a temporary setback, that come the Chargers game to open December, he's back behind the wheel, endangering lives by charging down Sterling at 50 plus mph at 6:30 in the morning while nursing a Johnny Walker on the rocks.

Until that time arrives, it falls on me. I literally shook, my hands were shaking, as I shifted from R to 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 driving the Beast around yesterday. The tradition, the history that vehicle holds ... to be entrusted with maintaining it, is almost overwhelming. Hell, who am I kidding, its me on a stick shift. It is overwhelming.

But I hope it also overwhelms you, to help me carry on the greatest tradition we know. Chiefs football. As its been for 20 years. As I hope it continues to be for 20 more. At least. (Although let's be fair, 20 only puts Ayden at "legal" drinking age. We all know he'll be bonging out there with us by 16 ... 17 at the latest ...)

If this is our first time running the show, let's make it count.

Let's do this up right. Let's have a Beast full of diehard, half baked, half buzzed Chiefs fans ready to start the next 20 years off right: with a helluva pregame party, a helluva postgame celebration, and a Chiefs victory!

(more pleas to come later this week ... because this is personal to me ... and its my site dammit ... at least until some folks from charter or two rivers show up on the door and get me the mental help i need ...)

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...