Thursday, November 20, 2008

when "good friends" get what they deserve

Today at work, a person in our department was let go. Considering we're already severely understaffed ... and that most of us are working 8 plus hours in the office, plus 2-3 more at home every night, you'd think this would be a disturbing development.

It wasn't.

I mean, I feel sorry for this person, because trying to find a job right now can't be easy. Especially given their age (60). Having said that ... the reason we're all working 55 hours a week is because this person literally did nothing. They literally did nothing. And got away with it for almost two years. So, our workload won't increase as a result of downsizing. That's effed up.

I don't wish unemployment on many people. In my nearly ten years in the professional workplace (Good Lord, I'm getting old), I have rooted for exactly two co-workers to get sh*t canned. Hell, I did more than root -- I proudly acted as a key catalyst to get them both terminated.

Readers who worked with me at my previous employer, can probably immediately figure out who those two were. One was booted July 28, 2003, the other April 9, 2004. And yes, I hate(d) them so much that I still remember the dates they were fired. That's ... ok, that's slightly insane, I will grant you. But still, my point is, I don't wish ill on many folks when it comes to their ability to draw a paycheck.

So on Sunday, November 16th, 2008, when the sports world saw a head coach lose his job ... all I could do was smile. Cheer. Feel optimistic, positive, uplifted.

And I dare say, every Chiefs fan felt at least some satisfaction at seeing it happen.

Our "good friend", Greg Robinson, is out as Syracuse head coach, effective at the end of the season.

Thank God.

Look it, Robinson is a nice guy. I've actually met him a couple times, when he was here destroying the Chiefs defense at the beginning of this decade. He is one of the truly decent, stand-up, arguably honorable guys in the coaching profession.

He's also an awful, awful, awful coach. He is absolutely wretched at his job. The man ... he's a truly awful head coach. (every Chiefs fan reading this nodding in agreement).

I hope Syracuse makes a solid hire, and returns to its rightful place atop the Big East. It wasn't that long ago that McNabb to Harrison was landing the Orange in BCS bowls. That Dwight Freeney was decimating opposing quarterbacks.

The 'Cuse has a storied, rich, proud tradition.

That Greg Robinson whizzed over, crapped on, and drug behind a El Camino through the dirt for the last four years.

Make a solid hire, AD Gross. Don't botch this opportunity like you did the last one ...

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...