Wednesday, November 26, 2008

since its thanksgiving ...

What I am thankful for as we enter my favorite month of the year (and yes, the tree is already up, the stockings are ready to hang, and with luck, the first present goes under the tree on Friday ...)

* Sports wise, I am most thankful for the magical, miraculous three pointer by Mario Chalmers to force overtime against Memphis in the national title game. As Dusty and Megan can confirm ... I literally hit the floor, curled up in the fetal position, and cried for four minutes when that three went in. Plus I pounded the floor a few times. Rock! Chalk! Championship!!!

* Politics wise, I am thankful that a new era is upon us. Where we will go with President Obama, I don't pretend to know. But I'm grateful ... and humbled ... that our great nation, which less than 40 years ago said President Obama's parents weren't allowed to marry based on their skin color, has now elected this man to rule the free world. What an awesome, awe-inspiring nation we live in!

Most importantly, people-wise ...

* I am thankful for an incredible roommate who ignores my obvious moments of insanity, and just rolls with the punches. Dusty's one of the truly good ones in life. And I don't say that about many people. Dusty is one of the truly good ones in life.

* I'm thankful for getting to know the roomie's former girlfriend. I've freely admitted, I had a crush on her. Still do. Not quite "stuff Steve in the box like Joey crammed Chandler in the box on Friends" level of crush, but still. I miss Megan. Looking forward to her homecoming next month. Megan redefines the meaning of "one of the truly good ones in life". (aww ...) OK, let's move on before Dusty starts driving nails into a makeshift box in the main room for the next Bucks party ...

* I'm also thankful for getting to really know one of his best friends, Damien. That guy is also one of the few truly good ones in life.

* I am thankful for the previous roommate and his lovely and beautiful better half, for embracing and welcoming me into their new life. I'm not the easiest person in this life to live with, or get to know ... yet Gregg put up with me for what, seven, eight years? Good Lord. And Ashley just looked the other way so many times, went with the flow so many other times ... two more people that are truly the good ones in life.

* I am thankful that Brent has moved back here from North Carolina. Because without that decision ... wait. If he doesn't move back, I'd have never lost my spot on the couch. No, just kidding. Without that decision, I'd have never met Meagan, or Mallory, or countless other folks that have enriched the 2008 experience.

* I am thankful for two incredible bosses right now, who stand behind me no matter what. Who actually give a sh*t about their employees. Its been a long, long time since I had that in the workplace. Not since pre-Josh.

* I am thankful for the "core members" of my tailgating group. Russ and Mona, my second parents. And Nancy, my second mom. Just ... you can't do better than any of them. You just can't. 2009 will be better than 2008, for all of us. Bet on it.

* I am thankful for the college roommate, Vineet. I can't imagine what life would have been like without him. Or what life post 9/11 would have been like without him. Here's to believing we never relive that day.

* I'm thankful for Chris. Two of the five best concerts I've been to in the last couple years, he was there. I think that's a pattern. Plus, he's another of the truly good ones in life. Hang in there champ. Its always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

* I am thankful for my folks. To have two down to earth, honest, decent people to look up to, and respect, is a rarity in life. To be able to claim them as your mom and dad ... wow.

* I am thankful for my brother. Drew and I were not really close growing up. Our parents once forced us to be "roommates" as a punishment. (It lasted 2 hours, my mom gave up because we were literally beating each other senseless). I didn't really get to know Drew until college, when I started driving up for his games my senior year / his freshman year. Then he started staying at the apartment more and more. Then got the job as an intern in my department.

I cannot imagine life without him. I don't even want to envision it. He is ... I have so much respect for that guy. I hope someday to be half the man, husband, and father that he is.

* and the sister in law as well. They're a perfect match.

* Finally, I am most grateful for, well, the only person ever born that I have literally cried over seeing, touching, holding for the first time:



Ayden Graham.

Cutest. Kid. Ever.

Welcome to this life pal. Between your dad, your mom, your uncle (hey, that's me!), your grandpas, and your grandmas, you will always know what it means to be loved.

Especially from your uncle, champ ...

2 comments:

Megan Kensinger said...

Thanks for the shout. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving. I am at work right now and this is the first Thanksgiving I will spend without my family. I will go to my bosses for dinner though, so it should be fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for KC not having an NBA team.

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...