Tuesday, September 2, 2008

the rnc: live blog ... night one? night two? who knows?

A couple updates:

First, since I don't want to keep doing a "live blog" without "interactive responses", I set up a Yahoo! account so I can instant message. My Yahoo! ID is teamtito15. I sent out a couple messenger invites to add to the friends list. But if you want in, let me know. I'll be logged into the Yahoo IM for as long as this live blog thing goes.

Second, I will not be live blogging tomorrow night. But I do plan to live blog night three? night four? Whatever Thursday night now is. I'll be here. Like a horny guy in a bar, ready to pounce on the first hot piece of, uuh, tail that shows interest.

Finally, I have no idea how long I'll go tonight. I am not a conservative. I am not a Republican. And the RNC is never as much fun as the DNC because ... well, let's face it, most of the speakers the Republicans will trot out, are sane. Which means they're boring. I've got a huge bottle of Polar Ice vodka for this, but if I have to keep hitting it to maintain interest ... anyways. (marvin gaye voice) Let's get it on!

6:10pm CT. I have it on OMSNBC, as we have some boring roundtable discussion on CSPAN.

Let me just say, the media going off about Governor Palin's daughter's situation, is really pissing me off. If they think they're helping their boy Barry by piling on a 17 year old girl, they're nuts. This is the Wellstone Memorial all over again. Two months from now, when McCain wins the 45 states and the District landslide he's going to get, we'll look at this moment as one of the key turning points.

gopconvention.com has nothing up in terms of timing, order, anything on the schedule. demconvention.com had everything broken down to almost minute-by-minute detail. Very, very disappointing out of the GOP.

Some of our speakers tonight? Joe Lieberman. Former Law and Order DA Fred Thompson. First Lady Laura Bush. House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio.

And oh yeah, the President.

Hang on, let me confirm I have plenty, and I mean PLENTY, of Polar Ice vodka on hand to cope with that last line ... yup, we're good.

Bush is not speaking in the 9pm hour according to Keith Olbermann. Olbermann looks mad as hell to be in St. Paul. But OMSNBC. They're not in the tank for Barry, (hillary voice) no way, no how.

Still no idea when this damned thing gets underway. I'm guessing 6:30?

This Politico discussion on CSPAN is beyond unwatchable. Let me flip up to CNN.

We're back on CSPAN.

We're live on the floor. The house band is playing. They're inteviewing a Florida delegate.

Man these floor interviews are ridiculously boring. Give the Dems credit: our delegates dress up in ridiculous costumes, dance in the aisles, and look like they're having a fun time. Republicans? This place looks like a mass. Tragic.

Interviewing a senior advisor for McCain. Still no clue what tomorrow's schedule is, other than I presume Gov. Palin will close the night down.

Hey, we got a balloon being tossed around, that's neat. It ain't a beach ball, but you gotta start somewhere with the church crowd.

Interviewing the White House Budget Director. Judging by the fact that Bush entered the White House with record surpluses, and we currently are running record deficits, I'm gonna guess this guy is pretty bad at his job.

I love Republicans talking about energy issues. Uuh, guys? You've owned the government for pretty much the entire decade. Look in the freaking mirror.

I'm going back to OMSNBC, the delegate interviews are boring. Everyone's sober. Unlike the Dems.

OMSNBC reports Bush speaks at 8:50. I might have to take a break, I don't think I can stomach 2 1/2 straight hours of the inevitable (system of a down voice) lies from the tablecloth we're about to be fed.

CNN live from the convention floor. They've got a better schedule laid out on the bottom of the screen than the Republicans do at their official website for this event.

There we go, a couple delegates acting like fools. About damned time.

And yes, its the Texas delegation. "Drive Friendly, the Texas Way!" That sign always kills me, nobody in Texas drives friendly. We drive responsibly. As in "if you're going less than 85 in the fast lane, prepare to get bumped into the retaining wall". Seriously, drivers in Kansas City effing suck. Nobody up here has a clue how to drive. Here's a thought KC drivers: its called the "passing lane" for a reason! If you aren't going faster than every other car on the freeway, you aren't passing!

And for those keeping track at home, I believe I have 7 speeding tickets, one unfortunate drinking and driving incident, two wrecks (amazingly neither one my fault ...), and a night spent in the pokey for "failure to pay speeding ticket on time", when the good folks in Shawnee failed to cash my check I left in the overnight drop. But yes, I do consider myself to be a "good driver".

CNN goes to commercial. Back to CSPAN.

Boehner at the podium for the "presentation of colors".

National Anthem performed by Philip somebody from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He looks like someone you'd expect to run into at a South Bronx deli.

Philip Alongi. Going opera style with the anthem.

If I point during the "and the rockets red glare", and make the fake bomb noise to replicate the fireworks going off during "the bombs bursting in air", is that disrespectful? Hope not, I do that at every Chiefs home game.

Boom! Boom!

Oh say does that Star Spangled banner yet wave? O'er the land of the free ... and the home of the ...

(peter griffin voice) whopper?

(steve voice) CHIEFS!!!

(cue biggest waste of taxpayer dollars known to man, aka "the flyover").

Rev. Robert G. Certain of Marietta, Georgia with the invocation. And he's reading it out of a freaking binder.

Unlike the DNC, the delegates are actually praying during the prayer.

There is at least one black delegate in attendance. Or one more than I expected to see tonight.

(I kid, I kid. The Republicans are every bit as tolerant of minorities as Democrats are. Unless you're gay. Then you have cooties and don't deserve equal rights in every sense of the meaning of the word "equal".)

A Native American color guard. (george takei voice) oh my.

Floor is about 50% full.

Here's the "in memoriam" portion. I love these things for some reason.

Nowhere near as good as the Dems was. No pictures, two names per slide, just a crappy half-assed effort to honor the fallen "leaders of the Republican party".

Huge applause for Jesse Helms.

And Henry Hyde, a man I feel nothing but utter contempt and disgust for.

Then again, I didn't know he'd died. Hopefully it wasn't during another "youthful indiscretion" that occurred when he was 41.

Huge applause for Tony Snow. Well deserved. I liked that guy. Was privileged to meet him once at this journalism conference I went to in high school.

The only stand alone was Gerry Ford. And he gets a video tribute.

Ford is a highly underrated President, in my never humble opinion.

"signed a treaty that strengthened human rights". Again, Republicans are tolerant, understanding, and completely in favor of human freedom and dignity ... unless you're gay. Yes, this is a sore spot with me.

And no, I'm not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just have a couple good friends that are. And they should have just as much right to be trapped in a loveless marriage as we straight folks have.

John Boehner kicks off the speeches. I actually like this guy, his "temper tantrum" on the House floor a couple weeks ago was awesome.

"Across America today, families are struggling. Sky high gas prices are squeezing them". Uuh, John? Who's controlled the government for the freaking decade?!?!

"Washington today is broken. And the Democratic Congress is its most visible symbol". Good line.

And he's unloading on Speaker Pelosi. I love it. The incompetent b*tch.

They just showed the teleprompter, and his speech is coded in white (for normal conversational tone) and red (for mean grizzley bear tone). Smart. Very smart.

Now he's hyping his "temper tantrum" on the House floor. Apparently they're still going at it "as I speak". Nice.

Back to trashing Speaker Pelosi. No complaints so far.

"America is the greatest nation on earth". Amen, Congressman. Amen. And unlike Barry, you didn't use a past tense verb to deliver that statement.

I liked the DNC stage better ... but the huge uniscreen with the waving flag is kind of cool. Actually, its really cool. But the Dems stage was better.

Bush at 8:45 CT, Thompason at 9:10, Lieberman closes it down at 9:40. I like Joe, a lot, but that's a mistake. Lieberman is not an effective public speaker. I'd have put Thompson last.

The Texas delegation having fun again.

And we're at a dead spot.

More crazy Texans.

Karl Rove and Bill O'Reilly waving to the faithful from the FOX News booth.

Really old guy trying to figure out how to text on his cell phone. Funny stuff.

Not sure what the hell's going on. Again, at least the Dems filled all the dead spots with the house band. This is just ... its half assed, is what it is. Then again, if you aren't watching CSPAN you aren't seeing this anyways.

Vodka tonic number three is being poured. And its in the Jets beer glass I use that's a 16 ouncer. And I always make drinks "Steve style" ... meaning 50/50 ratio on booze and tonic water. This could get ugly. Or really "vividly imaginative" as Brett would say.

"Don't Stop Believin'" now playing. Quick note: my favorite, unquestioned sporting moment of last season ... other than Mario Chalmers' shot for the ages that had me curled up crying in the fetal position for 4 straight minutes ... was at the end of the KU / Iowa State game last year, when the PA guy encouraged us to wait until the end of the blowout b/c the band had a tribute for the team. So we stick around, and the video board starts playing season highlights going game by game ... and you hear the drums start. bam, bam, bam, bam. bam, bam, bam, bam. Then the trumpets. Finally, you have the full band, and you immediately know what to sing. "Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world ..." Effing awesome. Nothing like 40,000 plus leaving the stadium still rocking to "Don't Stop Believin'" Because we didn't stop believin'. KU was 11-0!!! Here's hoping KU football starts 11-0 again.

Quick check of the other room. Dusty, Duke the wonder dog, and "Rufus" all passed out.

God I love this song. I am singing right along with it. It rocked the Sopranos finale, it rocked the KU Football home finale, and its rocking the RNC and a computer room in south KC right now.

HUGE ovation from the floor as the song ends. They loved it.

HUGE ovation from the floor for the photo of Bush. I don't care for the man, but I do respect him. Robert Duvall read that video tribute to Republican leaders.

Whatever you think of Bush, give him this: zero, zip, nada in terms of terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/11. The man has done his primary, numero uno job.

(I can't believe I just wrote that).

Jo Ann Davidson, RNC Co-Chair, kicks off the 7pm hour. In a related development, I have just kicked off vodka tonic number four.

Dusty: (possibly baked) what the hell are you doing, typing like a fool in there?
Steve: (definitely intoxicated) blogging the RNC tito!
Dusty: (probably baked) (pauses) what's the RNC?

And frighteningly ... he does plan to vote ... and shockingly, he's for McCain.

(Gregg put it best: Palin locked up the stoner vote. And the horny guys drooling over a MILF vote. Definitely what the evangelical wing was hoping to attract with the pick, I'm sure.)

Whoa, major f*ck up. This Davidson chick just called her "Sarah Palentey". Uuh, no, its "Palin". Not Palentey.

Saying something about "capturing the spirit of the Republican Party". At least she got Palin's name right this time, but she paused before saying it, she's still unsure.

She's got a horrible underbite too.

And she's done.

"The Honorable Norm Coleman". Kick Al Franken's ass man.

Whoa, somebody overloaded on the teeth whitening.

This guy reminds me of John Kerry. And that's not a good thing.

Whoa, they kicked sex shops out of downtown under this guy's leadership? (steve voice) boo! boo! (throwing rotten tomatoes at screen) boo!

"I'm not indecisive, am I? That could have been an Obama campaign slogan". Great line.

"Rufus" is awake and slowly walking into the computer room. Probably to fall back asleep on the floor. For him, that's like a week's worth of exercise.

Nope, "Rufe" needed to go potty. He's on the deck now. Probably for the night.

Really hot chick in a homemade McCain t-shirt.

That reminds me, I spent most of this weekend at the lake with some friends and acquaintences, most ... ok, nearly all of whom, are ardent Obama backers. So Saturday, we're sitting on the dock, enjoying some frosty cold adult beverages, and inevitably the talk turns to the election. The only three people who seemed to get what's going to happen in November (a McCain landslide) were me, Dusty ... and our buddy Mickey, who's the biggest die hard left wing liberal I have ever met. He makes me look like a Focus on the Family subscriber, and I have never been accused of being anything other than a "loony liberal". Or "kooky liberal". Or "f*cking crazy". Anyways, he's completely convinced the PUMA factor, combined with the Palin pick, sealed it for McCain.

(I agree. Doesn't mean I'm voting McCain, I vote my conscience whether they're a winner or not. I'm still on the fence. But I agree, its McCain's election to lose. And barring a LEGITIMATE scandal, this thing is over. McCain with at least 350 electoral votes. If not even more.)

RNC video on 9/11 and the flag. Sorry, not really paying attention, I'm still flashing back to the mean Obama backers cutting me off from the vodka Saturday night because "you're on the wrong side". Uuh, I'm not on a side! I'm still able to be swayed you f*cking idiots!

(That, and they're all MU fans and hated me for proudly wearing the "Fighting Manginos" t-shirt during the MU / Illinois game. Wait, that's probably what they meant by "you're on the wrong side". But still. Ridiculous. You cut off my vodka supply, you're gonna pay. Karma. Its a b*tch).

Pledge of Allegiance 49 minutes in. Not that they're playing this up.

You do realize the ORIGINAL, ACTUAL pledge did NOT contain the phrase "under God". By her emphasis on that two word phrase, I'm guessing no.

Former Chargers DB, and current Pastor of some church in San Diego, Miles McPherson. I want to once again register my extreme outrage that Reverend Al Sharpton was NOT given a speaking slot at the DNC.

He just praised Mayor Nagin. And dropped the "poh-lice" line.

"You may not see God, but he's here". Do you think?

"If there was ever a time we needed to call on God, it is now. So I'm gonna ask all of you to bow your heads and pray with me for a minute ..." A scene you will never see at the DNC, that's for damned sure.

If this isn't a blatant "assume the position and pucker up" play for the religious base ...

Next up? Ashley Gunn from Brandon, MS. And she is very pleasant to ogle. I mean, listen to. Kind of has a Kaley Cuolo look to her. And I freaking LOVE "The Big Bang Theory".

Not that I'm Leonard. Or Shelton.

(steve once again giving serious consideration to joining adult friend finder to, uuh, find an adult friend ...)

She founded "Students Aiding Indigent Families". SAIF. (george takei voice) oh my.

57 minutes into this thing, and no pearls yet. Shame, Republicans. Shame.

Oh my God, this is a more ridiculous "sob story fest" than anything the DNC puts out there. This is pathetic. Come on Republicans. You are better than this. Its why I respect your convention: the grownups are in charge.

I love how the speakers are hyping McCain's character. Look it, I don't doubt he's an honorable man ... but only one of these two candidates has been confirmed to have been (old school! h-town voice) rockin', knockin' da boots! with someone other than the chick he was married to. And it ain't Barry.

The flag thing is still cool. But I halfway expect a Toby Keith sighting here shortly.

Speak of psychic powers! Toby Keith song playing right now.

Cindy McCain is in da hizzouse. Creepy old guy sneaks a hug in with her.

Really, there are no unattractive females on either side of the ticket here. Cindy is hot. Gov. Palin is beyond hot. Michelle Obama has a confidence to her that I really dig. And Biden's wife is amazing. America, we're all winners here.

Whoa, the vodka tonics kicking in. Be back in (chuck woolery voice) 2 and 2.

McCain's 96 year old mom in the house! 96! That's incredible. God bless her.

Speaking of hotties, the Honorable Michele Bachmann, a Rep from Minnesota. A complete pleasure to look at. But no pearls. Outrageous. Come on, you're Republicans! You're rich and privileged! Wear the damned pearls already!

"We do have a lot of liberals here in Minnesota, but they're happy liberals!" Or horny. Either way, it works.

Jesus, she's had 5 kids too?!?! My Lord, I might need to reconsider this whole "I don't want to be with a chick with kids" thing ...

Speech is on adoption, huge focus on McCain's adopted child. Awesome stuff. Not all liberals are in favor of killing our kids though, just wanted to get on record with that. I am not "pro choice".

Although I am "pro sex", "pro free contraception on demand", "pro morning after pill as available as aspirin", and oh yeah, "anti abstinence". And yet, I still can't get anyone interested. I don't get it!

(Wait, I just saw a reflection of myself with the shirt off. I take that back, I do get it ...)

Wow, I really must be feeling the sexual frustration tonight. Wow. I don't apologize to anyone offended in the reading audience. (But if you're a hot chick, childless, between the ages of 22 and 40, if you want a good time, call ...)

"Barack Obama speaks of a lifetime of service. John McCain has LIVED a lifetime of service". Great line.

This hottie starting to get the crowd fired up.

And she's done. "We're a really nice state that loves you." No ma'am, we love you!

Some dude and his daughter up next, from Phoenix. I'm gonna go with "Friends of John" for 200, Alex.

Actually they're friends of Cindy. And man, is she ROCKING the pearls tonight! (fist pump)!!! Yes! Go Cindy Go!

Cindy and John adopted one daughter, this guy adopted the other? Awesome, awesome stuff.

Hey, the Florida delegation with great seating. The RNC: we don't screw over Florida and Michigan like the DNC does!!!

"I wear a sombrero". Awesome. Sombreros kick serious ass.

I miss the "Big Sombrero" in Tampa.

Teddy Roosevelt tribute video. Nowhere near as awesome as the "Uncle Teddy" tribute video last week.

Next up, an "acclaimed singer and songwriter" that I have never heard of. But she's hot. So I'll stay tuned in.

Oh Jesus, she's got the nose stud that so totally turns me on. I might need to take a 5 minute break. This chick is just ... I'm telling you, I need 5. I'll be back.

(steve) dude, check out channel 250. This chick is just smoking hot! Right down to the effing nose stud that totally gets me, uuh ... you know ...
(dusty) (flips to channel 250)
(dusty) she's kind of thick.
(steve) (nearly spits out vodka tonic) what?!?!
(dusty) what, 130? 140?
(steve) (angry) well .. f*ck you!
(dusty) (not missing a beat) I wish she would.

See, he's starting to learn how to play along! Only took 18 months, but hey, woo! He's nowhere near as good as Gregg is at the smart ass one liner comebacks, but he's learning. Give him another 2 years, he might just make it after all.

Rachael Lampa. My Lord, I hope she has a myspace page.

(or better yet, an adult friend finder profile).

(Good God, I really, really, really need a girlfriend).

(george takei voice) oh my, the close up on the nose stud. I'm telling you, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that turns me on like the little nose stud on the side of the nostril. I so dig that accessory. Just ... (steve drooling onto keyboard ...)

I think she's still singing. I have no idea what, but I'm sure its beautiful.

Wow. Just ... wow.

She looks like Jessica Alba with the nose stud. I'm in absolute awe.

And she's a fantastic singer. If she comes through KC, I'd go see her.

No, thank you! Thank you! (steve wildly applauding in computer room)!

"Thunderstruck" follows her up. A perfectly acceptable follow-up. Jesus, I need a shower after that. That was Carrie Underwood at "Idol Gives Back", times ten for me. And I believe the phrase of the night from that performance back in April was "thank god ashley's not here".

What is a "superintendent of public instruction"?

Again, no pearls. Outrageous.

Oh, its the state school superintendent. I thought it was affiliated with the penal system. Or as "The Judge", Bill Pidto would note, "its penal in nature".

That line always cracked me up.

No. She's "pro school choice". I am not.

Former first lady Barbara Bush in the house. Rocking the pearls.

Former President Bush in the house.

(steve politely applauding for both).

(the convention wildly applauding both).

The speaker stopped speaking. She just literally stopped to allow the applause for the Bushes to go unimpeded. Class move. Bush I is an honorable, decent, incredible American that deserves our respect, regardless of which side of the aisle we're on.

Current speaker, by the way, is the lovely Shanna Hanson, the Captain of the Minneapolis Fire Department. I have no idea how this chick is a firefighter ... but wow, I gotta hand it to the RNC. They are trotting all the hotties out tonight.

Former President Bush and former First Lady Bush look very, very good. Like I noted about the Carters last week, its awesome to see good people looking good as they enjoy the later years of life. Woo America!

The floor has lost interest, she's going off about the bridge collapse.

Scary Liza Minnelli lookalike delegate. I nearly puked.

(Although she ruled in "Arthur". Especially since you couldn't really tell if she and the late, great Sir Dudley Moore were actually acting).

I would have saved this video for prime time. Very, very effective. Highlighting the Republican Party's foundation ... as the party opposed to slavery. Great, great segment here. Should have saved it for when the networks were tuned in. I'd have put this between Thompson and Lieberman.

Wow, we hit the two hour mark.

Comparing Lincoln to Bush. In many regards, this is appropriate. Both facing a war the electorate turned on at some point. Both nearly lost the re-election bid due to war weariness. Both kept appointing incompetent, incapable generals to lead the primary front in the war effort. Lincoln eventually lucked into Grant. Bush eventually lucked into Petraeus.

Tommy Espinoza, the President and CEO of the Raza Development Fund, up next. I'm gonna go with "shady development firm" for 200, Alex.

"I am a Catholic (applause), Hispanic (applause), (pause) and Democrat! (huge boos)" Nice to see the RNC does have some DNC qualities to it.

This speech is going nowhere fast.

The President in 34 minutes. "Arthur Branch" in 54. "Fighting Joe" Lieberman in 84. I don't see my liver making it much past the 44 minute mark ...

Again, let me rant on the gopconvention.com site. The Dems had this thing laid out, speaker by speaker, almost down to the exact freaking minute they'd take the stage. The RNC site doesn't even list the speakers in the order they'll be talking. Half assed RNC. Half assed.

On the other hand ...

(simpsons voice) if there's a task that must be done! Don't turn your tail and run! Don't pout! Don't sob! Just do a half assed job ... if you cut every corner then its really not so bad! Everybody does it! Even mom and dad ...

OK, so McCain believes in "the sanctity of human life from conception. He believes in the sanctity of marriage and family life!" really? Last time I checked, he opposed the right of legal American citizens who happen to enjoy being with a member of the same sex, actually having those sanctities.

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE ovation for the George H. W. Bush tribute video. Awesome stuff actually.

(steve applauding with the convention floor ...)

I don't think we screwed up electing Clinton, but what an honorable, decent man this former President is. Which is obviously evident in the Clinton's (and most Democrats) love for him.

So many amazing pieces of legislation he signed. So many historic world events under his watch. Just a great, great tribute video! And the floor is going crazy! As is this blogger in his computer room in south KC ...

One minute in, ovation still going.

As it is here.

"Cleveland, North Dakota". For a second there I thought I heard "Piedmont, North Dakota".

(bar chick) what does coyote ugly mean?
(hot bar owner) have you ever woken up next to someone, so ugly, that you'd have knawed your arm off to get away? That's coyote ugly!

I figure, if I've made it this far, I'll go up to at least the President, if not through it. I would like to see "ADA Branch" and "African Americans for Gore / Lieberman" uninterrupted though.

(my way of saying, you've got about 30 minutes of blogging left).

Exchange a moment ago:

(dusty) you almost done?
(steve) why?
(dusty) I, uuh, want to use the computer.
(steve) why? you've got your work laptop.
(dusty) not really an option?
(steve) what's her name?
(dusty) heather!
(steve) lucky bastard.
(dusty) has she IM'd yet?
(steve) I'm logged in as me.
(dusty) (in shock) you IM?!?!
(steve) since today!

Current speaker is a chick from Rappahannock, VA, a retired US Army captain. Kind of sad actually. Most women can serve anywhere they want, but by god, if a chick chooses to sleep with another chick, you're not good enough to serve your nation in uniform.

And yes, I am going to keep hammering home the hypocritical, screw you attitude of religious conservatives when it comes to our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters, every chance I get. If you have a problem with it, tough. They're no different than us, other than in whom turns them on. "One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all".

Huge ovation for McCain's POW mates.

I'm applauding right along with them. True American heroes.

And Dusty's out. Off to meet "something with some good stuff!"

Not sure if that means his, uuh, supplier, or this "Heather" chick. Either way, Viva Dusty!

And I need a brief break before the President to empty vodka tonics number 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Huge ovation still going strong.

"Yes We Can!" chants going. Awesome slap in the face to Obama.

And after 3 minutes I'm back. Judging by his attire and the empty "box", I'm guessing D's off to meet the supplier.

Huge ovation for the veterans still ongoing.

Awesome background for this speaker. They are leading into (current) President Bush awesomely.

Laura to introduce him!

Yes! I like her! A lot!

(Note: I have never met a Laura I didn't like. Even the Laura I'm not supposed to mention because she screwed my "landlord" over ...)

HUGE ovation for the First Lady.

Beautiful red outfit. And pearl earrings.

(steve smiling broadly).

Recognizes the in-laws. Another HUGE ovation.

We don't have near the love for the Carters or Clinton that the RNC has for the Bushes. Kind of cool to see.

HUGE applause for Palin. I'm applauding with them, I like this pick.

"I'm proud that America's first female to be Vice President will be a Republican!" I'm not proud, I wanted it to be Hillary ... but no matter who wins, what a historic campaign this is.

Laura highlighting Condi Rice. HU-YUGE ovation for her.

Bush on video from the White House coming up.

"I told you about a man of character, whose politics would not shift with the winds of politics or polls". Agreed. He held firm, no matter what. Its why he has my respect.

(Not admiration. But respect. There is a difference).

"In honor of our nominee, let's call it a little straight talk". Awesome line.

She's praising No Child Left Behind. Ask ANY educator in America what they think of it, Madame First Lady. Its a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad piece of legislation that has driven America's best educators into retirement and other lines of work.

Praising Bush's SC appointments. I like Roberts. I opposed Alito. 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Yes, faith based and community based charities, that is the way to solve issues of poverty and community problems. Notes the 35 bi-partisan governors who agreed with the plan.

Wow. 100 Africans had AIDS medicine when Bush took office. Now its 2 million. Awesome.

"You might call that change you can really believe in". AWESOME line.

She's got the floor wrapped around her finger. As well as me.

"And let's not forget, President Bush has kept the American people safe!" I hit on that earlier. Its his greatest accomplishment, bar none.

HUGE ovation at that line. Both here and there.

She has a tremendous future in Congress if she wants it. Part of me hopes she does. Very effective tonight.

And here's Number 43!

HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE ovation for the video linkup. Looks like he's in the Press Room.

I cannot believe how much he has aged in 8 years. Why I'm never running for public office 101 ...

Blue tie. Not sure that's a good choice.

To swallow hard and praise McCain, that's tremendously classy on his part. Considering all McCain did to undermine him in 2000.

Shoutout to mom and dad. Nice.

This would be far more effective sitting in the Oval Office. But its working nonetheless.

Highlighting McCain refusing release. (steve applauding mccain's utterly incredible heroism, patriotism, and balls to the face of the enemy ...)

"If the Hanoi Hilton could not break John McCain's resolve to do what is best for his country, you can be sure the angry left never will!!!" BEST line of either convention so far. Unbelievably inspiring.

"John is a steadfast opponent of wasteful spending". Unlike you, sir.

You already lifted your daddy's ban on offshore drilling, not sure what else McCain can do in that regard.

"John is not afraid to tell you when he disagrees with you. Believe me, I know!" Great line.

"In the face of calls for retreat, I ordered a surge of forces in Iraq ... one Senator above all had faith in our troops and the purpose of their mission, and that was John McCain". I freely admit, I was wrong on the surge. Bush was right.

"He freely admitted he'd rather lose an election than lose a war, and that is the command and vision we need in a commander in chief!" Amen, sir. Amen!

(wait, why am I a Dem? Oh yeah, social issues ...)

I really, really, really respect Gov. Palin. I love this pick.

"Americans have always lived on the sunrise side of the mountain". Great line.

"I am optimistic because I have faith in God's power to lift up all his children to freedom ..." Unless you're gay, of course, then you're screwed.

"With Laura Bush speaking (live at the rnc tonight), you have clearly traded up ... Laura has been a fantastic First Lady". (steve wildly applauding).

And he's done at 9:01pm CT.

Laura back at the podium.

I want to switch to Charlie, George and Diane on ABC ... but she's still going. Cindy McCain applause line.

OK, with this, I'm out. You got 2 hours 52 minutes out of me. I guarantee you, the next chick lucky enough to, uuh, have fun with me, can pretty much expect the 52 second part of it. If even that long, its been a while.

Until Thursday ... peace out.

And vote!

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...