Friday, September 5, 2008

we have an endorsement ...

For the speech, I reposition myself from computer room to the main room. Dusty is passed out on the couch (shocking) ... but he's sleeping on the remote. So I'm stuck with ONBC coverage until he wakes up.

On the bright side ... well there is no bright side here. ONBC is biased. Dusty passed out means I can't get as into this as I'd like to. I'll be reduced to fist pumps and raised fingers instead of crazy cheers and boos. So I guess its like being a deaf mute? Wait, just a mute, I can still hear this.

Fred Thomspon voice introduction. His speech Tuesday was great.

Reminds me, I got an email from an old friend, very conservative chick, yesterday praising Palin's speech. I liked it for different reasons, but suffice it to say, if her remarks are on target (and they almost always are, she was our class valedictorian ...), McCain's got the base locked up.

Name of the speech is "Change is Coming".

I am leaning McCain. Especially after last night. But still undecided. For at least another hour or so.

"Tonight, I have a privilege given few Americans, the privilege of accepting our party's nomination for President of the United States". Guess he's in it to win it.

First protestor interruption. Crowd covers kook up with USA! chant.

"In my life, no success has come without a good fight".

"I'm grateful to the President of the United States for leading us in these dark days following the worst attack in American history". I don't mean to demean 9/11 ... but Pearl Harbor? Washington burned to the ground in the War of 1812? Seem worse to me.

Ditto Fort Sumter.

Second protestor interruption. More USA! chants.

Shout out to Laura Bush. And Bush 41 and Barbara.

Quick side rant, what the hell was up with the backdrop at this point. A corn field?!?! Huh?!?! Just did not look good.

Praise for Cindy and the kids.

Praise for his mom, rocking the pearls at 96 years young.

"To all of you who stood by me when the odds were long, I promise you, I won't let you down."

"To Americans who have yet to decide who to vote for, thank you for the consideration and the opportunity to win your trust. I intend to earn it". Thank you, Senator. I appreciate it.

I thought it was pure class to praise Obama's historic nomination. McCain has more class in his flag lapel pin than Barry has in his entire being.

"There is more that united us than divides us, it is what makes us Americans, and that (designation) means more to me than any other". Class.

"We're dedicated to the proposition that all people are created equal ..." Unless you're gay.

Nowhere near the excitement on the floor tonight as last night.

3rd protest interruption. Seriously, how p*ss poor was security last night? Say what you want about the DNC, we kept our kooks on the streets.

And at the podium.

McCain trying to restore order.

"Please don't be diverted by the ground noise and the static". Great comeback.

Interruption number four. Whoever headed security last night better be unemployed this morning. Seriously, this is ridiculous.

Huge applause for Governor Palin. Huge. Loudest applause of the night so far.

"She stands up for what's right, and doesn't let anyone tell her to sit down". Solid line.

Dusty still passed out. I'm starting to get frustrated at my inability to get into this properly ...

"I can't wait until I introduce her to Washington". Solid line.

"Let me issue this warning to the do nothing, me first Washington crowd -- change is coming!" Huge applause. Only fist pumps in south KC. Grrrrrrrr ...

"When we tell you we're going to Washington and stop leaving our country's problems for some other generation to fix, you can believe it". I stood and fist pumped for that line.

"I don't work for a party, I don't work for a special interest. I work for you". Solid line.

"The first big pork spending bill that comes across my desk, I will veto it! I will veto it and I will make them (the authors) famous! You will know their names!" Tremendous applause. More standing fist pumps in south KC. Not sure I can hold off making noise much longer ...

"I fought for the right strategy and more troops in Iraq when it wasn't the popular thing to do". Huge applause. USA! chants flying across the floor.

"And when the pundits said my campaign was finished, I said I'd rather lose an election than see my country lose a war". More applause. More USA! chants. More fist pumps.

"And thanks to the leadership of a brilliant general, David Petraeus, and the bravery of the tremendous men and women he has the honor to command (huge applause) ... that strategy succeeded and it rescued us from a defeat that would have meant a demoralizing defeat, risked a wider war, and threatened all Americans". And with that, in south KC, the silence is broken. Tremendous thundering applause on the floor, and in the main room. A visibly angry Dusty wakes up and leaves the room.

A visibly relieved Steve grabs the remote and flips off biased ONBC up to ABC. Mission accomplished.

The applause still going.

"I don't mind a good fight. For reasons known only to God, I've had quite a few tough ones in my life, but I've learned an important lesson along the way. It doesn't matter that you can fight, what you fight for is the real test". Tremendous line. And applause.

McCain channeling Al Gore's speech in 2000 now, using individual stories to illustrate what he'd do as President. It was highly effective for Gore. I thought it worked for McCain as well.

More USA! chants as McCain honors a fallen soldier.

"We were elected to change Washington, and we let Washington change us."

Whoa, taking on Big Oil?!?! Am I watching the RNC?

The crowd is not enjoying this segment of the speech. Limited applause.

"The party of Lincoln, Roosevelt and Reagan is going to get back to basics!" Huge applause. Camera pans to Lieberman, Guiliani and Fred Thompson eating it up.

"We believe in faith, work, service. And a culture of life". Huge applause.

Ugh, here we go again with the "don't legislate from the bench" crap. The floor is loving it. I need more vodka.

"Government that doesn't make choices for you, but works to make sure you have more choices for myself". Great line.

Going into differences between him and Barry. The floor booing Barry. Good stuff.

Huge boos for Barry's health care ideas.

"We're going to help workers who've lost a job that won't come back, find a new one that won't go away". Great line.

"What good is access to a failed school? We need to empower parents with choice ..." Ugh, another kook idea that won't work.

"Attract and reward good teachers ... and help bad teachers find another line of work!" Good luck getting the NEA to sign off on that one.

Parents already have a choice in the education of their children sir! We don't need vouchers!

Promising energy independence. Huge applause. Hu-yuge. With me as well. Drill now! Drill now! Drill now!

Amen! Drill now! chants getting started.

Yes we can! chants going. Awesome.

"My friends, its an ambitions plan, but Americans are ambitious by nature. Its time for us to show the world again how Americans lead!" Huge applause. He's starting to hit his stride ...

Going into foreign policy threats now.

The brave people of Georgia also need our support, not just solidarity and prayers.

"We face many threats in this dangerous world. But I'm not afraid of them. I'm prepared for them". Great line.

"I know how the world works. I know the good -- and evil -- in it". Sadly, that line is very true.

Now getting into his military experience.

"I hate war. Its terrible beyond imagination."

"I will reach out my hand to anyone to help get this country moving again". Good line.

"My friends, I have that record, and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not." Big applause line. The holding out his arms to note that he can't really raise them was very effective.

"Instead of rejecting good ideas because we didn't think of them first, let's use the best ideas from both sides ... this amazing country can do anything we put our minds to!"

The floor didn't like the idea of Dems and independents in the administration.

"My friends, I've been an imperfect servant of my country for many years, but I've been a servant first, last, and always. I've never lived a day in good times or bad that I didn't thank God for the priviliege". Amen, Senator. Amen.

"I was blessed by misfortune. I mean that sincerely." Going into how he became a POW.

"and an angry crowd waiting to greet me". Good line.

There is not a sound anywhere other than McCain's voice. This story is riveting. Inspiring. And tear-inducing.

Huge applause for his fellow POWs. Huge. Both in St Paul and south KC.

more applause. Hero! chants starting up in the back.

McCain is choking up. As am I.

"I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's".

"I wasn't my own man anymore. I was my country's". Another great line. Huge applause. We're at the 20 second and still going mark.

"I'm not running for President because I think I'm blessed with such greatness that history has anointed me to save our country at its hour of need." Great line, and more applause.

"I will fight for her so long as I draw breath, so help me God!" Huge applause. Biggest of the night. USA! chants flying.

"Nothing can make you happier than to serve a cause greater than yourself". More USA! chants.

"With hard work, strong faith, and a little courage, great things are always within our reach. Fight with me! Fight for what's right with our country!" Huge applause. He's got the delegates into it now.

Cheering through these closing lines. "Nothing is inevitable here! We're Americans! We never give up! We never quit! We never hide from history, we make history!" My hands are starting to hurt from clapping.

Great, great finish. Tremendous finish.

So ...

It wasn't a great speech. It fell flat at times. But to me, it was good enough.

I'm in. McCain / Palin. Officially endorsed by me. And as such, I'll do my part. 60 days to get 'em elected. 60 days to save this country from the utter catastrophe that Barack Obama would be as President. 60 days to avoid massive tax increases that will cripple the economy. 60 days to avoid do nothing energy policies. 60 days to ensure that victory in Iraq can be secured, that the threat in Iran will be dealt with, that the focus stays on taking it to the enemy, rather than withdrawing and waiting for them to come hit us.

60 days to say thanks but no thanks to the single most unqualified, unprepared candidate I have ever seen seek the highest office in the land.

60 days folks. We've got 60 days to defeat Barack Obama. I can't believe I'm going to close out this way, but ... (dick vermeil voice) Offense? Gotta go to work! Defense? Gotta go to work! Special teams? Gotta go to work!

Gotta go to work! McCain! Palin! 60 days! Let's do it!

No comments:

week twelve picks

The Statisticals. Last Week SU: 8-6-0. Season to Date SU: 98-62-1. Last Week ATS: 7-7-0. Season to Date ATS: 75-80-6. Last Week Upset / ...