The Top 10 most played songs on my IPod right now ...
10. "Crush" by David Archuleta. I hated Archuleta for most of "Idol" this year. Hell, I even called him "Ass Hat" in every recap I had for "Idol". Only ... this song's pretty damned good. This is exactly what he should be doing post-"Idol". And as much as I loved David Cook ... Ass Hat's debut single is far superior.
(steve's favorite lyric): "Has it ever crossed your mind? When we're hangin', spendin' time girl, are we just friends? Or is there more? Is there more? See, its a chance we gotta take, 'cause I believe, that we can make this into something that will last, last forever ..."
(yup, steve needs a girfriend ...)
9. "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel. Hey, what can I say. I was raised on this stuff. But man, I freaking love this song. Just Billy, a piano, and his honest reflections. Just ... awesome stuff.
(steve's favorite lyric): "And she'll promise you more than the Garden of Eden / And she'll carelessly cut you, and laugh while you're bleedin' / But she'll bring out the best and the worst you can be / Blame it all on yourself, 'cause she's always a woman to me ..."
8. "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. I'm shocked it isn't higher on the list, given how much I've listened to this the past week. (See my post from October 3rd if you need further detail). I have always said this is the single most depressing song I've ever heard ... but I love it anyways.
(steve's favorite lyric): "We drank a toast to innocence / We drank a toast to time / Living in our eloquence / Another Old Lang Syne / The beer was empty and our tongues were tired, running out of things to say ... She gave a kiss to me as I got out, and I watched her drive away / Just for a moment I was back at school / And felt that old familiar pain ... And as I turned to make my way back home, the snow turned into rain ..."
7. "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright. I have always liked this song. I fell in love with it in the debut episode of "Swingtown".
(steve's favorite lyric): (the beginning) ... "I just closed my eyes again, climbed aboard the dream weaver train ... Tried to take away my worries of today, and leave tomorrow behind ... (and also the finish) ... though the dawn may be coming soon, there may still be some time! To fly me away to the bright side of the moon, and meet me on the other side ..."
(Wow, our folks' music so seriously kicks ass over anything we have today ...
6. "Come on Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson. I posted a separate, uuh, post, on this song. I don't even know where to begin on how incredible this song is. Just ... if you download anything this year, make it this song.
(steve's favorite lyric): "I miss the sound of your voice, loudest thing in my head; and I ache to remember, all the violent, sweet, perfect words that you said ..."
5. "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin DeGraw. Yeah, its kind of the "unofficial" motto of my life at this point. And yes, its the theme song to "One Tree Hill". But man, it freaking rocks. (And this is Gavin's first appearance on the "countdown" ...)
(steve's favorite lyric): (cue the "one tree hill" intro ...) "I don't wanna be anything other than what I've been tryin' to be lately / All I have to do, is think of me, and I have peace of mind / I'm tired of lookin' 'round rooms, wonderin' what I'm to do, or who I'm supposed to be / I don't wanna be anything other than me ... I don't ... wanna be ...)
4. "Gallery" by Mario Vasquez. Ultimate disclosure: he's probably my favorite "Idol" contestant ever. And yeah, he probably blew it by leaving early. But what an amazing single he put out. Still on my Chiefs playlist to get me ready for kickoff ...
(steve's favorite lyric): "She's so confused, she knows she deserves more / Someone who will love and adore / But his money's hard to ignore / She really doesn't know what to do ... Girl! Its just a matter of time, before he finds another more fine, after he's done dulling your shine / He rocks the floor and he's through with you ..."
3. "In Love With a Girl" by Gavin DeGraw. The chorus says it all ... and God bless ya, I pray I get to sing it someday ...
(steve's favorite lyric): "I'm in love with a girl who knows me better / Fell for the woman just when I met her / Took my sweet time when I was bitter, someone understands / And she knows how to treat a fella right / Gives me that feelin' every night / Wants to make love when I wanna fight / Someone understands me! I'm in love with a girl ..."
2. "Take it to the Limit" by the Eagles. If you've read my picks the last few weeks ... yeah, I'm digging this song.
(steve's favorite lyric): "You know I've always been a dreamer / Spent my life running 'round / And its so hard to change / Can't seem to settle down / But the dreams I've seen lately / They're all turning out / and burning out / and turning out the same ... So put me on a highway! And show me a sign! And take it ... to the limit ... one more time ..."
And numero uno ...
1. "Sinners Like Me" by Eric Church. The title says it all. Its my family, in lyrics ...
(steve's favorite lyric): "My mama had a softspot for a hell-raisin' boy / So she had two more just like him ... / It takes an angel, to raise a family, that comes from a long line, of sinner like me ... (and the finale) On the day I die, I know where I'm gonna go / Me and Jesus got that part worked out ... I'll wait at the gates, 'til his face I see ... and I'll stand in a long line, of sinners like me ...